Before I bite the bullet and book Symphony...

...can anyone answer these questions?

Last Oasis class we did was Allure over spring break a few years ago - am I correct in assuming that Symphony in mid-January will be a little less overrun with kids?

Is Samana, Dominican Republic a crappy port?  (We're looking for awesome beaches)

What about Costa Maya, Mexico?  We will hit up Nachi Cochum in Cozumel and would love to find something like that in Costa Maya.

Will we miss Giovanni's Table and Central Park 150?

Will the service be great?

1 minute ago, micmacmissy said:

Last Oasis class we did was Allure over spring break a few years ago - am I correct in assuming that Symphony in mid-January will be a little less overrun with kids?

Can only answer a couple of the questions...

We did Symphony the first week of January 2019.  Not very many kids and not all that many young people (20s or 30s) at all.  Seemed as geriatric as a Canada / New England cruise.  We felt right at home.

Service was great.  My wife came home talking so highly about Symphony we were forced by friends to book the ship again this time with them on the same sailing. We sail November 30th.

12 minutes ago, Wally Alligator said:

We did Symphony the first week of January 2019.  Not very many kids and not all that many young people (20s or 30s) at all.  Seemed as geriatric as a Canada / New England cruise.  We felt right at home.

Service was great.  My wife came home talking so highly about Symphony we were forced by friends to book the ship again this time with them on the same sailing. We sail November 30th.

Well, since I'm 46 going on 70 that sounds perfect!

• Like 1

You should look at OASIS of the Seas for January ...... Its currently getting a $165 million renovation/ amplification and will have everything Symphony has and MORE when it’s back in service starting in November ........ the more includes GIOVANNI’S TABLE and the new Portside BBQ restaurant ....... also a much nicer pool deck and the new 3 story lime and coconut pool bars ..... Oasis also has cheaper fares than Symphony.

(BTW ..... Symphony does have 150 Central Park)

Edited by ChrisK2793
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, micmacmissy said:

Is Samana, Dominican Republic a crappy port?  (We're looking for awesome beaches)

What about Costa Maya, Mexico?  We will hit up Nachi Cochum in Cozumel and would love to find something like that in Costa Maya.

Will we miss Giovanni's Table and Central Park 150?

Service was amazing and, FWIW, we really liked Jamie's on Symphony. Why would you miss 150 Central Park though? It's on Symphony as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, garnetpalmetto said:

Service was amazing and, FWIW, we really liked Jamie's on Symphony. Why would you miss 150 Central Park though? It's on Symphony as well.

Oooh, I didn't know that!  When I looked on the RCCL website, they showed Wonderland instead of 150.

7 hours ago, ChrisK2793 said:

You should look at OASIS of the Seas for January ...... Its currently getting a $165 million renovation/ amplification and will have everything Symphony has and MORE when it’s back in service starting in November ........ the more includes GIOVANNI’S TABLE and the new Portside BBQ restaurant ....... also a much nicer pool deck and the new 3 story lime and coconut pool bars ..... Oasis also has cheaper fares than Symphony.

(BTW ..... Symphony does have 150 Central Park)

Good point.  But Oasis has the horrible Falmouth - Labadee itinerary the week we can go.  And oddly, we are seeing $1,000/pp oceanview balcony fares on Symphony for that week!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, micmacmissy said:

Oooh, I didn't know that!  When I looked on the RCCL website, they showed Wonderland instead of 150.

Weird since they're not even in the same space. 150 Central Park is in Central Park across from Chops while Wonderland is on Deck 11 and Deck 12 aft, overlooking the Boardwalk. Looking at the RCI deck plans, I see both.

14 hours ago, Wally Alligator said:

I think we were on the same sailing, and I certainly wouldn't call it geriatric.  There were plenty of young people in their 20s or 30s, including us.  Quite a few kids too, though mostly not from the US (cruise director mentioned there was a large group from Mexico).

But I do agree that the service was stellar.  This was our first cruise, and my wife and I were both amazed at how readily the staff was willing to go the extra mile!  Best service we've received anywhere.

15 hours ago, DesireeC03 said:

Costa Maya has http://costamayabeachresort.com/ - amazing service, lovely beach and pool, and yummy food!

Second this.  Book as soon as you book the cruise.  They are limited in # guests (50?), even fewer than Nachi.

If full, check out Almaplena, further south than Maya Chan and fewer spots open but very nice place.

http://www.almaplenabeachresort.com/

Giovanni's is now Jamie's after Jaime Oliver.  Still Italian in main food focus.

There will always be children and teens on board any ship at any time.  But yes fewer families and students travel in January as schools have just returned from Christmas break.

3 hours ago, mo&fran said:

last time I was in Samana it was a tender port. Only way this class ship would go would be if they built a dock.

Yeah, I was curious - I don't see any January itineraries on Symphony where Samana (or anywhere else in the Dominican Republic) is a port of call. Based on the other ports you mention (Costa Maya and Cozumel) are you sure you don't mean Roatan, Honduras instead?

• Like 1

I would think the only week that "could" have more kids is if it's during the week of the MLK holiday Monday.  We loved Symphony--best cruise in years!  They also have Hooked which we found to be one of our favorites.  They have a bar in the middle where you can order happy hour apps or just a drink.

14 hours ago, garnetpalmetto said:

Yeah, I was curious - I don't see any January itineraries on Symphony where Samana (or anywhere else in the Dominican Republic) is a port of call. Based on the other ports you mention (Costa Maya and Cozumel) are you sure you don't mean Roatan, Honduras instead?

Ugh, yes, that is exactly what I meant!  Any suggestions for Roatan??

2 hours ago, micmacmissy said:

Roatan was my favorite port with my grandaughter on Harmony.  I actually would not mind staying a week there, fabulous snorkeling and great creatures, sloths and monkeys, lovely people.

BTW, it was my granddaughter's favorite port too!

Edited by Judyrem

2 hours ago, micmacmissy said:

As @Host Clarea points out you may want to check the dedicated Roatan board, but when we were there a couple weeks ago we went with Victor Bodden's Tours and were quite happy with the experience. We could customize our tour, including a choice of 3 beaches. We went with Playa Mia and were pretty happy with it - you do have to pay a little extra for it since it's a private beach but the vendors were under control (I think we saw 4 patrolling the beach, one selling jewelry, one offering massages, one offering hair braiding, and one offering pictures with a capuchin monkey) since it's private. We also did a general tour of the island, Victor's Monkey Business (birds, monkeys, sloths), a rum company, and a chocolate company.