Dunedin

7 hours ago, tomandpatcruisers said:

We are going on a Celebrity cruise in March 2020. One of the ports is Dunedin. Does anyone know Is there a shuttle provided by the ships to the town from Port Chalmers? If so what is the cost?

Thanks

Last season the shuttle was $20 NZ orAU and it’s not provided by the ship.
Theres a terminal or such as you leave the ship,pay your $20 cash and it’s a 20 minute bus ride into town (Dunedin)
 Nice Victorian city,the bus will drop you off in the main square,called the octagon.

Walk down the main drag ,there’s a cafe called Best cafe (google it) Bit of a hole in the wall But very good . Been in business for 80 years.

At the bottom of the Main Street is the train station,it’s a work of art .

If you turn right from the train station is the settlers museum,very good and FREE

That will take you 3-4 hours and mostly free.The bus will be waiting for you back at the octagon.

Ask the driver you want to get off in port chalmers and walk back to the ship.its only 20 minutes and worth a look.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Agree Port Chalmers is worth a look.  When I was there the cottages had beautiful well cared for gardens. 

Also, if you have time, Carey''s Bay Historic Hotel, nearby, is well worth a visit. 

Edited by MMDown Under
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Think the local bus still runs, but not sure, as I'm not a local.

I was told by the tourist info folks for Dunedin a couple weeks ago that for the shuttle bus to Dunedin, both NZ and Aus cash is accepted, but no credit cards.  The charge is still $20 NZD. 

There is car rental (Pegasus ) in Port Chalmers, and a LOT of coach tours that go to the Otago peninsula, etc.

For the person who walked up to lookout near the port:  I'd love to know about how long it took.  I was thinking of checking it out myself.  

I wasn’t the person who commented earlier but the walk up to the Flagstaff Lookout from the port takes about 15 minutes but it is a steep climb so you may want to stop and take breath or two on the way up. There’s another lookout on the other side of the port too at the Lady Thorn Rhododendron Dell which is another steep climb but gives great views too.

ADF9BF9A-3A44-47FC-9717-9F7BF13AA920.jpeg

Edited by Bugalugsnz
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Bugalugsnz said:

I wasn’t the person who commented earlier but the walk up to the Flagstaff Lookout from the port takes about 15 minutes but it is a steep climb so you may want to stop and take breath or two on the way up. There’s another lookout on the other side of the port too at the Lady Thorn Rhododendron Dell which is another steep climb but gives great views too.

ADF9BF9A-3A44-47FC-9717-9F7BF13AA920.jpeg

Thank you.  If I have time after sightseeing I'll venture up to Flagstaff.  Was this photo taken from the Flagstaff lookout or the Rhododendron Dell side?

16 minutes ago, roothy123 said:

Thank you.  If I have time after sightseeing I'll venture up to Flagstaff.  Was this photo taken from the Flagstaff lookout or the Rhododendron Dell side?

OK, I looked at both of the lookouts on Google, and see that your photo is from the Rhododendron Dell.  Of course, it's hard to tell what you can see from the limited view that google gives.  But I like your Rhodo view, so I'm thinking I'll head there if I have plenty of time after sightseeing.  I have a couple questions, though: 

On your estimate of 15 minutes for either lookout (and I'll add on 5 minutes or so for taking it easy; senior citizen here), does that include the walk from the port, I assume?  

We're scheduled to be in Port Chalmers until 8 PM and I think sunset is around 6 PM.  The port schedule says we're berthing at C/T with a big Princess ship at Beach.  I'm not positive which berth is which, but if my ship is at the northern-most berth, closer to the Rhodo Dell, do you think that viewpoint would be better at sunset than the Flagstaff one?   

And for cruisers interested in albatrosses or lighthouses, did you see any albatrosses flying while traveling around the cape on the way to or from Port Chalmers?  Were you able to see a white lighthouse?

I’ll respond more fully tonight once I’ve dug up a few more helpful photos (the one I posted was a panorama from the Rhodo Dell and makes things look further away than they actually are), but in the meantime this map may be helpful to get the lay of the land. In short, the Rhodo Dell lookout gives mainly south-easterly views while the Flagstaff offers almost 360 views. The Rhodo Dell is backed by bush and cliff so may not get the sunset directly. However, if another ship is berthed at Beach you may not be able to see much of your own ship from Flagstaff. I’ll post more photos later that may help. I’ll post about albatross viewing then too (the short answers are yes and yes!).

0DB17C64-FF75-4C31-B686-0CF308AD8518.jpeg

Edited by Bugalugsnz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bugalugsnz said:

I’ll respond more fully tonight once I’ve dug up a few more helpful photos (the one I posted was a panorama from the Rhodo Dell and makes things look further away than they actually are), but in the meantime this map may be helpful to get the lay of the land. In short, the Rhodo Dell lookout gives mainly south-easterly views while the Flagstaff offers almost 360 views. The Rhodo Dell is backed by bush and cliff so may not get the sunset directly. However, if another ship is berthed at Beach you may not be able to see much of your own ship from Flagstaff. I’ll post more photos later that may help. I’ll post about albatross viewing then too (the short answers are yes and yes!).

0DB17C64-FF75-4C31-B686-0CF308AD8518.jpeg

Thank you; great info and great map!

4 hours ago, roothy123 said:

We're scheduled to be in Port Chalmers until 8 PM and I think sunset is around 6 PM.  The port schedule says we're berthing at C/T with a big Princess ship at Beach.  I'm not positive which berth is which, but if my ship is at the northern-most berth, closer to the Rhodo Dell, do you think that viewpoint would be better at sunset than the Flagstaff one?   

Roothy,

Sunset will be close to 9.30 pm when you are at Port Chalmers. Because it is so far south (and daylight saving), sunset is much later than say Sydney.

Leigh

14 hours ago, roothy123 said:

OK, I looked at both of the lookouts on Google, and see that your photo is from the Rhododendron Dell.  Of course, it's hard to tell what you can see from the limited view that google gives.  But I like your Rhodo view, so I'm thinking I'll head there if I have plenty of time after sightseeing.  I have a couple questions, though: 

On your estimate of 15 minutes for either lookout (and I'll add on 5 minutes or so for taking it easy; senior citizen here), does that include the walk from the port, I assume?  

And for cruisers interested in albatrosses or lighthouses, did you see any albatrosses flying while traveling around the cape on the way to or from Port Chalmers?  Were you able to see a white lighthouse?

Okay, here are some photos which may help.

The first shows the view of the town of Port Chalmers from the back of the Emerald Princess, once docked. Exit from the port was through the long shed on the left of the photo. You came out on the oher side and then walked past the railway tunnel, pub, public library and museum to the main intersection. To get to the top of the Flagstaff Lookout you take a street up to the left. to get to the Rhodo Lookout you go up the street slightly to the right (above the red buildings in the centre of the photo) past the church and then right again up the hill.

The second is the view from the Rhodo Lookout looking back towards the port. The rise directly opposite has Flagstaff Lookout right at the tip, where the dark trees are. When you walk there you effectively walk along the top of the ridge. The bigger ship is the Emerald Princess in the Beach Rd berth, I dont' recall the name of the other ship.

The third is the view from the Flagstaff Lookout looking back to the port and you can see it was very much taken up by the Emerald Princess. You can just make out smoke from the funnel of the smaller ship over the back of the Emerald. The Rhodo Lookout is on the opposite side about where the cliffs are showing through.

Both lookouts are very close in to the port as the crow flies, its just that there's lot of hill to get up. So maybe 20 minutes of so for each at a steady pace. The walk from the ship to the port exit is nothing, you just step off the ship, pass through the shed and you're on the street.

Albatross and the lighthouse next...

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

Edited by Bugalugsnz
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, roothy123 said:

I only have a couple of photos on these. The first is my one and only albatross photo (those suckers fly high and swoop constantly making them tough to catch) and the second is of the lighthouse taken as we left Otago Harbour. You can also just see the top of the Royal Albatross Centre viewing building on the crest of the hill on the right.

On the way in to the harbour ships pass this headland, Taiaroa (tie-a-roar) Head. We entered the harbour at dawn and so missed seeing anything then, but left in the afternoon when we could see the birds coming in from a day fishing. The Captain slowed the ship and drew passengers’ attention to them as we passed. If you’re entering and exiting the harbour at night, the only way you’ll see albatross is through a trip to the Royal Albatross Centre.

If passing during daylight you will easily be able to see the Taiaroa lighthouse, Centre buildings, the heads of a few birds in their nests (if nesting season) and birds in the sky – albatross, petrels, gulls and other sea birds. You may also be able to see seals basking on the rocks below the cliffs. You should be able to see all this with the naked eye but if you have binoculars you'll be able to see all very clearly.

The Centre is worth visiting if you’re an avid bird watcher, but if you only have a passing interest in albatross a trip there may involve too much 'hurry up and wait' to be worthwhile as its a very popular destination and there are often queues. You should be able to see flying birds sufficiently from the cruise ship as you cruise past the headland to have ‘seen’ them as well as you would from the land.

I hope this is useful. Happy to help with any other questions.

p.s. other New Zealand lighthouses to watch out for are the Pencarrow lighthouses (one old and one new) at the entry to Wellington Harbour, and the old Akaroa lighthouse.

2019 Dunedin 061.JPG

2019 Dunedin 063.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, that is very helpful information, and beautiful pictures.  Do you remember if you took the one of the lighthouse with a zoom lens?  I've looked on Marine Traffic to see how close cruise ships go, and it looks like they pass maybe a third mile from the lighthouse.  But I'm not sure how well I'll be able to see or photograph a lighthouse a third mile away!   But that's a beautiful picture.  And yes, I know about the Pencarrow and Akaroa lighthouses!

But at least thanks to Possum's helpful information on sunset times, I looked up Napier sunset on the date we're there, and it's at least an hour after we leave.  That means I'll be looking for albatrosses and the lighthouse from the top deck of the ship.  (We have an inside cabin.)

I guess I'll probably just head up to the Rhodo Dell lookout if the Princess ship is still in port, as the ship you have in your picture (looks to be Azamara Cruises, part of Celebrity) is the same size as ours, so it will probably dwarf our ship from any views from that side of the port area!  But she's leaves earlier than we do, so even Flagstaff might work out.

Thanks everyone!

Heres a couple of webcams that may be of interest re the Albatross....

Cam from Port Otago which has a cam at the heads

https://www.portOtago.co.nz/otago-harbour/webcams/

Conservation Dept cam at the Albatross colony

https://www.doc.govt.nz/nature/native-animals/birds/birds-a-z/albatrosses/royal-albatross-toroa/royal-cam/

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Heres a couple of webcams that may be of interest re the Albatross....

Cam from Port Otago which has a cam at the heads

https://www.portOtago.co.nz/otago-harbour/webcams/

Conservation Dept cam at the Albatross colony

https://www.doc.govt.nz/nature/native-animals/birds/birds-a-z/albatrosses/royal-albatross-toroa/royal-cam/

Thank you.  I hadn't run across the Otago webcam.  It's dark now as it's nighttime, but I'll check back later.  I've checked the albatross colony cam before - once saw a cruise ship go by on that one (with some planning).  

On 11/16/2019 at 12:33 AM, Budget Queen said:

There also used to be the local bus that you could take from near the port.   Is that still an option?   

Cruise ship passengers using the local buses are causing problems now, so best to use the shuttles. https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/cruise-passenger-crowding-hinders-local-bus-user

Rushing, so forgive me if I haven't provided as much info as I can.  However, I just wanted to post and say that someone mentioned that Port Chalmers was a fun place to visit. I looked at the excursions being offered by our ship, and Regatta (Oceania Cruise Lines) , is offering an excursion in Port Chalmers titled something like "Port Life."  It's described as follows:

Wander through charming Port Chalmers with a local guide that will introduce you to long-time residents and daily life in the small port town. You will first meet Gillian Elliott at The Flying Whale Gallery, which she owns with her husband David, a renowned illustrator and author. They have lived in Port Chalmers for more than 30 years, and David has depicted some of the town’s most recognizable settings in his art and books. Gillian will be happy to discuss what makes port life so special and the wildlife that has inspired many of David’s whimsical illustrations. At nearby Port Pantry, you will find an array of delicious New Zealand-made artisan foods. Chutneys, marinated cheeses, cookies and hot sauces—they are all here, and you will have the chance to sample many of them at the store that locals Jo and Dan Pearson own. A drink at a popular pub will round out your experience.

So that might give a few tips as to where to go if you have some time in Port Chalmers!

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 9:19 PM, roothy123 said:

Wander through charming Port Chalmers with a local guide that will introduce you to long-time residents and daily life in the small port town. You will first meet Gillian Elliott at The Flying Whale Gallery, which she owns with her husband David, a renowned illustrator and author. They have lived in Port Chalmers for more than 30 years, and David has depicted some of the town’s most recognizable settings in his art and books. Gillian will be happy to discuss what makes port life so special and the wildlife that has inspired many of David’s whimsical illustrations. At nearby Port Pantry, you will find an array of delicious New Zealand-made artisan foods. Chutneys, marinated cheeses, cookies and hot sauces—they are all here, and you will have the chance to sample many of them at the store that locals Jo and Dan Pearson own. A drink at a popular pub will round out your experience.

Thanks for the info.  Sounds like you could do all of this on your own.  The amazing thing to me is that lots of people will pay good money to go on this excursion.

6 minutes ago, FredZiffle said:

Thanks for the info.  Sounds like you could do all of this on your own.  The amazing thing to me is that lots of people will pay good money to go on this excursion.

Well, I agree with you there.  But there are always at least some people on a cruise ship that just get on the ship and want everything researched and taken care of.  Then there are people like me who love planning, exploring on our own, and frugal  - or just one or two of these things.  ,We're surprised at what the cruise line, or a vendor wants, for something we can do on our own.  But I do find ideas by reading the cruise ship offerings.  Our cruise line seems to be on a kick with providing local experiences, which seems to be something another competing cruise line has been doing!  At least in New Zealand, it's easy to do these things if you have an English-speaking group of cruisers - no language problem if you're on a tram or in a local store!