How do I keep it a secret?

Peckishpixie

All these what if's are silly,you can what if anything!

What if the sky falls ??

Good lord people she is doing a wonderful thing!! I don't get all the negatives,I just don't! 

If I was ever so lucky to be given a free cruise I would be jumping for joy! Would not give a hoot if I only had one pair of shorts and one teeshirt!!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 8

Hey People, lighten up already.  I have been on many cruises with my wife and made it through the entire set of trips with enough clothing.  If the OP is headed to Alaska then she needs to pack some rain gear or look to purchase it once aboard. Other than that you pack for a trip of whatever duration you choose.  My wife just surprised me with a trip to Scotland and did not tell me until we checked our bags with British Air.  Would I have packed different?  Maybe but who cares when you are going on VACATION!  I will never see any of the people we sat with, flew with, shared a hotel with, ate in the restaurant with again.  No one will know if I wore the same socks 2 days in a row. No one will rat me out if I did not brush my teeth. the people in the restaurants did not know I wore the same tie with 3 different shirts and the same blazer.  And neither will the people on the cruise ship they sail on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Reader0108598 said:

All these what if's are silly,you can what if anything!

What if the sky falls ??

Good lord people she is doing a wonderful thing!! I don't get all the negatives,I just don't! 

If I was ever so lucky to be given a free cruise I would be jumping for joy! Would not give a hoot if I only had one pair of shorts and one teeshirt!!

trust me, when I forgot my flip flops, I looked ridiculous in high heels on the pool deck. My beautiful dressy shoes got wet and were ruined. I also wore sneakers to the cave tubing excursion, and they got ruined as well. I had two pairs of shoes ruined because I was not 100% prepared for the cruise.

And yes, I only brought one pair of shorts with me and when they got wet, it was very inconvenient. Nothing dried out well in the inside cabin, even overnight.

We are not saying that we wouldn't be grateful for a free cruise. Some of us are saying that we'd like to know in advance so we could get ready. A dress gown is not the only thing they need for the cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

trust me, when I forgot my flip flops, I looked ridiculous in high heels on the pool deck. My beautiful dressy shoes got wet and were ruined. I also wore sneakers to the cave tubing excursion, and they got ruined as well. I had two pairs of shoes ruined because I was not 100% prepared for the cruise.

And yes, I only brought one pair of shorts with me and when they got wet, it was very inconvenient. Nothing dried out well in the inside cabin, even overnight.

We are not saying that we wouldn't be grateful for a free cruise. Some of us are saying that we'd like to know in advance so we could get ready. A dress gown is not the only thing they need for the cruise.

I would have bought  sneakers and flip flops first port we stopped in also would have went bare foot on the pool deck! Bought a gown and wore first cruise that was it for me! Number 31 coming up!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Princess has dryers I would throw my bathrobe on and go dry them no one would bat an eye!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

I would have bought  sneakers and flip flops first port we stopped in also would have went bare foot on the pool deck! Bought a gown and wore first cruise that was it for me! Number 31 coming up!

I see people with horrible fungus and herpes blisters on their feet all the time, so yeah - no, thanks, I am not going barefoot on the deck. Neither is my kid or DH.

Some people have no problem spending money on extra flip flops and sneakers at the ports, and some are extremely frugal to a fault. It's psychological.

I walked among the market stands and I couldn't bring myself to pay $20 for a $0.50 pair of flip flops. It was our first cruise and I learned my packing lesson very well. If somebody surprised me with a trip now on the way to the trip, I wouldn't be a happy camper, no matter how much I appreciate free trips. I appreciate them a lot more with sufficient time to prepare for them. We are not the "just get up and go" kind of people. We like comfort.

It's not that I forgot the flip flops on our first cruise, it's that it was our very first cruise, and I wasn't on cruisecritic, and I knew exactly NOTHING about cruises and what to pack for them.  So, I didn't bring flip flops.

In subsequent years I actually forgot a hair brush, and my DH truly forgot his tooth brush. That was the real forgetting.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

43 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

Why didn't you take your sneakers off when tubing? I hgave been before we bought water shoes but others in our group had nothing on their feet!

it was very slippery on the sharp rocks. We got off the tubes to explore the rocks in the caves. It was a private party tour.

I was hoping the sneakers would dry out eventually, but the inside cabin air was humid, with no air movement, and they went "sour." It's ok. That was on our very first cruise 10 years ago, I know better now.

P.S. No, I didn't know there were dryers on ships.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

I see people with horrible fungus and herpes blisters on their feet all the time, so yeah - no, thanks, I am not going barefoot on the deck. Neither is my kid or DH.

Some people have no problem spending money on extra flip flops and sneakers at the ports, and some are extremely frugal to a fault. It's psychological.

I walked among the market stands and I couldn't bring myself to pay $20 for a $0.50 pair of flip flops. It was our first cruise and I learned my packing lesson very well. If somebody surprised me with a trip now on the way to the trip, I wouldn't be a happy camper, no matter how much I appreciate free trips. I appreciate them a lot more with sufficient time to prepare for them. We are not the "just get up and go" kind of people. We like comfort.

I am on a fixed income after retiring do to health trust me I know the value of a dollar! You said you ruined your good shoes that is why I suggested that! Also ruined your sneakers . 

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Haha 1

it was very slippery on the sharp rocks. We got off the tubes to explore the rocks in the caves. It was a private party tour.

I was hoping the sneakers would dry out eventually, but the inside cabin air was humid, with no air movement, and they went "sour." It's ok. That was on our very first cruise 10 years ago, I know better now.

Washers and dryers!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

i

I know Princess has washers and dryers, But don't know about the other lines.  Hal did have some awhile ago.  A lot of lines don't have them.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2019 at 8:42 AM, Peckishpixie said:

I just bought my son and daughter-in-love a cruise that I dont plan on telling them about until we are on our way. They think we are going on a road trip. I've painstakingly arranged everything to be an absolute surprise including a complicated ruse to get my DIL an evening gown and my son a suit under the guise of needing it to attend a fundraiser. I thought I had the perfect surprise but now I have to get them "ocean ready" it is a medallion class ship. I have access to their passport info. I dont know how to finish the other items without telling them. Do you have any good ideas?

I think it will be fabulous!!  Could you ‘pretend’ you need their passport for a special tour in B.C. or the Yukon?

I’m so sorry that so many have offered unsolicited opinions instead of advice,  our world is a argumentative place right now.

have fun and do it your way!

• Like 6

On 10/20/2019 at 9:42 AM, Peckishpixie said:

I just bought my son and daughter-in-love a cruise that I dont plan on telling them about until we are on our way. They think we are going on a road trip. I've painstakingly arranged everything to be an absolute surprise including a complicated ruse to get my DIL an evening gown and my son a suit under the guise of needing it to attend a fundraiser. I thought I had the perfect surprise but now I have to get them "ocean ready" it is a medallion class ship. I have access to their passport info. I dont know how to finish the other items without telling them. Do you have any good ideas?

I do not agree with all these other posters saying not to surprise them.  I would love it it someone did this for me.  If you have all of their info you are able to get them ocean ready for medallion class ship as long as you have all the information needed.    I say go with your gut and surprise them at the dock.  YOU know them best!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, CynCyn said:

I think it will be fabulous!!  Could you ‘pretend’ you need their passport for a special tour in B.C. or the Yukon?

I’m so sorry that so many have offered unsolicited opinions instead of advice,  our world is a argumentative place right now.

have fun and do it your way!

They do have access to their passports! Thankfully!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2019 at 6:42 AM, Peckishpixie said:

They know the length of the trip just not the minute details. Can you adopt me? I would love this surprise!! Fill it out old school online and get the medallions at the pier!

• Like 5

I appreciate all your comments but my family LOVES surprises. We pull off long drawn out complicated schemes as almost a competition.  I know my family very well and they will be so thrilled. 

I do have access to their passports because they are in our family safety deposit box. My credit card will be attached to their room not theirs. Who would say "surprise! Now you have to pay for drinks shore excursions!" They "know" they are packing for 7 days, that we will be "on the coast" that we will be doing lots of walking but they should bring some dress clothes in case we go to fancy dinners. Oh, and they think we are stopping at a hot springs, so they will have suits. They will find out the surprise at the airport and Seatac has anything they might need. Heck, I think grabbing last minute essentials or even a pretty dress in a mad dash to get on the plane to California might be part of the fun!

I am mostly worried about uploading the photos, and the accepting the policies part. It sounds like I can do that part at the port. So, I guess I am all set!

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I think it is obvious why the OP has not come back. 

I hope they have an amazing trip!

You do? Because I thought I didnt check this feed because i was on a plane back from London. But clearly you know more about me then I do!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Peckishpixie said:

I appreciate all your comments but my family LOVES surprises. We pull off long drawn out complicated schemes as almost a competition.  I know my family very well and they will be so thrilled. 

I do have access to their passports because they are in our family safety deposit box. My credit card will be attached to their room not theirs. Who would say "surprise! Now you have to pay for drinks shore excursions!" They "know" they are packing for 7 days, that we will be "on the coast" that we will be doing lots of walking but they should bring some dress clothes in case we go to fancy dinners. Oh, and they think we are stopping at a hot springs, so they will have suits. They will find out the surprise at the airport and Seatac has anything they might need. Heck, I think grabbing last minute essentials or even a pretty dress in a mad dash to get on the plane to California might be part of the fun!

I am mostly worried about uploading the photos, and the accepting the policies part. It sounds like I can do that part at the port. So, I guess I am all set!

I think it sounds wonderful!! Good for you to plan this.🙂 You obviously know that you family will join in the fun and love it.

When we took our extended family (3 kids + spouses + MIL) on a cruise, we had to tell them because six of them had to arrange time off work and a couple of them had to get passports. For Christmas I wrapped gifts (beer-can coolers for the guys and small sarongs for the girls). When they opened them, they politely tried not to show their astonishment and disappointment. I then said, the real present is in the envelope. Each one held a postcard from the ship with "You are invited to join us on a cruise. BYO clothes and spending money."  We then had to co-ordinate the dates. We had a fabulous 14 days.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Reader0108598 said:

Washers and dryers!

again - that was 10 years ago on our first ever cruise (RCL's Independence of the Seas). I didn't know at the time that some cruise ships had washers and dryers.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Peckishpixie said:

Enjoy!  Come back afterwards and tell us about your wonderful trip!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, FloaterBoat said:

Idk if you guys missed the part, the couple isn't being surprised with a trip, they're being surprised with a cruise.  They already intended to be away with Mom for a road trip.  So I'm sure they've already made necessary plans as far as pet care, if there is one, and stopping mail, took time off work, and have no other events on their schedule already during that time period.  They already planned to be away, just the semantics of their vacation is going to change drastically.

Exactly!

• Like 5