Confused when Summit is doing Dublin to Boston and pricing at 6500 per person???

Harborgirl246

Look at it this way, Kids sail free....😁😁😁

Had to laugh, last night I was looking at prices on some of the high end suites on the Edge.  The prices are in the 20 thousands and some of those suites they don't even give you free specialty dining. 

Edited by dkjretired
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mynki said:

Hunted Greenland. I think many people would be surprised to learn that it's not particularly difficult to get to from Europe and not as expensive as many imagine. Also, spending a few hours there when docked will result in you not seeing too much of the place. A land vacation would offer considerable better value for money. All IMHO of course. 🙂

Have you been to Greenland?  

A "land vacation" is no easy thing; there are no roads between settlements.  How much of "the place" do you think you'd see on a land vacation?   Also, the settlements are mostly quite small.    We had two port calls there on our HAL cruise last year.  Very much enjoyed them.  But there was not much tourist infrastructure; it would not be like taking a "land vacation" on the European continent.   And I'm not sure where you have gotten the idea that Greenland is not expensive.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2019 at 1:52 PM, DebInAntigua said:

Yes! We booked a SS the very first day Tampa cruises were released. Otherwise we would never pay the prices X is laughably quoting these days. 

Same. I think we got a good deal. We also got 10 percent back from the TA in OBC. And all the other perks. 

16 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

"spending a few hours there when docked will result in you not seeing too much of the place."

Yes, but that's true of nearly every cruise port -- Naples, Dubrovnik, Boston, etc. etc. etc.

True. But my post was in response to your's when you were discussing a 'unique itinerary'. You could sail on a transatlantic over to Europe make your way to Denmark, fly to Greenland, see a lot more of the place for a fraction of the cost of the sky suite experience being discussed on here. 

16 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

It does make sense, though Connie will be coming out of the “revolutionized” drydock when it starts the Tampa departures. So the Sky Suites with relatively good prices are worth it since the new retreat, etc will be in place.

Good news. Gladyou got the point I was trying to make. The M class ships should be priced lower than others and Caribbean itineraries will always be less than say those in the Med. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Have you been to Greenland?  

A "land vacation" is no easy thing; there are no roads between settlements.  How much of "the place" do you think you'd see on a land vacation?   Also, the settlements are mostly quite small.    We had two port calls there on our HAL cruise last year.  Very much enjoyed them.  But there was not much tourist infrastructure; it would not be like taking a "land vacation" on the European continent.   And I'm not sure where you have gotten the idea that Greenland is not expensive.

If you reread my post the first sentence should answer your question. Our flights and whole trip were not as "expensive" as the cruise being discussed seems to suggest. It's true that Greenland is new to the 'tourism' concept but that is changing rapidly. Our outfitters used helicopters for transportation. 😉 

We were booked on this cruise but came to it late so all we could get was an overpriced inside. About 6 weeks ago we jumped ship to the Princess Cruise that goes out around the same time out of New York and does Canada and the Greenland ports and returns to New York. We booked a premium balcony for a little less than our inside and we save airfare to Dublin. I think a lot of interest in these cruises is because in 2022 the Polar Accords go into effect which will ban ships going to some of the more northern and southern ports unless they are specially made for the area. For the price of a suite on the Summit Cruise, I could fly to Iceland and do an intensive port cruise on something like the new  6 star Scenic Eclipse Yacht, which is something I am looking into.

Mary Ann

Booked this when it first came out. Prices have skyrocketed since then-- in some categories more than doubled initial pricing

There is only One sailing from US to Dublin, One the other way

A big box store named it their pres cruise for the westbound Dublin to Boston sailing

We may be cancelling - as our plans to see Greenland by helo is difficult now. The company we were going to book has been booked by a tourism agent and so the flights are being then sold to the pax through a middleman. So the extensive tour we planned on isn't possible.  

We are holding this sailing until final payment decisions  as we are looking at some other things.

I think if you are interested you may find prices softening after final payment date.  So keep checking 

Edited by Fogfog

3 hours ago, Mynki said:

Good news. Gladyou got the point I was trying to make. The M class ships should be priced lower than others and Caribbean itineraries will always be less than say those in the Med. 

I understood the point you were trying to make but do not agree. Why do you think a newly-renovated M class vessel should be priced lower than other X ships? M class has wonderful T pools, for one thing, and we prefer a ship with 2,000 or fewer passengers.

If you mean that “newer is better,” the newest X ship has more sizzle than steak IMHO, and compares unfavorably to HAL’s Pinnacle class ships. After cruising Edge in the Caribbean, with its lack of sufficient seating in lounges, long tender lines and non-balcony infinite verandahs, I’m looking forward to Constellation - and the much lower Sky Suite price is icing on the cake.

55 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I understood the point you were trying to make but do not agree. Why do you think a newly-renovated M class vessel should be priced lower than other X ships? M class has wonderful T pools, for one thing, and we prefer a ship with 2,000 or fewer passengers.

If you mean that “newer is better,” the newest X ship has more sizzle than steak IMHO, and compares unfavorably to HAL’s Pinnacle class ships. After cruising Edge in the Caribbean, with its lack of sufficient seating in lounges, long tender lines and non-balcony infinite verandahs, I’m looking forward to Constellation - and the much lower Sky Suite price is icing on the cake.

New does not necessarily better for sure. That applies to all kinds of things let alone cruise ships. But M class don't have the amenities that the newer Celebrity classes have which is why I don't think they're worth as much on a per person per night basis. When you compare M class pricing to S and E class costings I don't think I'm alone as generally speaking M class are cheaper as any search on a large TA website will show. 

But at the end of the day people book what matters to them. I just wouldn't necessarily see an M cruise Caribbean sailing as a bargain because it's priced lower than a newer ship elsewhere. 

6 hours ago, UFMOM said:

We were booked on this cruise but came to it late so all we could get was an overpriced inside. About 6 weeks ago we jumped ship to the Princess Cruise that goes out around the same time out of New York and does Canada and the Greenland ports and returns to New York. We booked a premium balcony for a little less than our inside and we save airfare to Dublin. I think a lot of interest in these cruises is because in 2022 the Polar Accords go into effect which will ban ships going to some of the more northern and southern ports unless they are specially made for the area. For the price of a suite on the Summit Cruise, I could fly to Iceland and do an intensive port cruise on something like the new  6 star Scenic Eclipse Yacht, which is something I am looking into.

Mary Ann

Yes, I’ve mentioned this twice already on previous posts - less money for more days.

On 10/21/2019 at 1:45 PM, dkjretired said:

Look at it this way, Kids sail free....😁😁😁

Had to laugh, last night I was looking at prices on some of the high end suites on the Edge.  The prices are in the 20 thousands and some of those suites they don't even give you free specialty dining. 

What's even more amazing is people are booking them! On our Edge sailing both Iconic suites were booked. If I'm going to spend that much money on a cruise I'll charter my own yacht.

• Like 2

Edge suite pricing is finally softening. Yesterday I saw a 7 Caribbean sky suite from a big box US TA for $1200, no perks and taxes and port fees extra. This was less than Celebrity direct so they obviously need to shift some of their block booking rooms. 

On 10/21/2019 at 1:35 PM, Redtravel said:

Those prices are insane.  I cannot imagine anyone paying those prices for a Celebrity cruise. Could it be a misprint?  If it isn’t and people still book, Celebrity is a big winner. 

It's not the prices that are insane, it's those paying these prices!

• Haha 2