Is there a way to refuse advertisements onboard?

TwinMommyByGrace

During our last two cruises on the Nieuw Statendam the daily Canadian and Times newspapers were only available on line.

This was relayed to me via the front desk.

As I walked back to my cabin I passed a crewmember who was putting flyers from the shore excursion desk and the spa in everyone's mail slot!!?

Why not put those solicitations on the website also? (mentioned on our last survey)

Come on vaccine

Bob

• Like 3

A cruise ship is a carbon spewing, gas guzzling,  garbage can floating at sea......The paper at our door is not even a drop in the bucket compared to cruising itself....To really help the environment, cruise ships should be banned....but I hope that never happens cause I really enjoy it.

I think when we start sailing again, we will see more plastic and disposable items for health reasons.  It will be interesting to see how the "ban plastic straw" crowd handles this.  It's also good to see that bleach is back....vinegar cleaner, so we've learned, doesn't kill the bad stuff.

I wish we could "opt out" of all the paper advertisements.  We simply toss them into the recycle section of the waste basket.  Now, what to do with my mile long CVS receipts?

I'm so glad this topic came up.  It's refreshing to get back to "first world problems" again!

Smooth sailing everyone.....someday soon, I hope!

• Like 1

If they were serious about eliminating waste and "going green", why not display the daily newsletter on the TV? Just put up a (permanent) placard that says what channel to turn to. That way those that want to read it will see it, and those that don't won't have to waste their time throwing it out.

During my last cruise on the Ms Nieuw Statendam, I had the opportunity to speak with the Environmental Officer at the Mariner Reception and he described the effort that HAL was taking to reduce waste.  Small condiment packages were being reduced by using reusable ramikins for butter, syrup, jellies, mustard, catsup, etc. and refilled with bulk products.  On my cruise, the reduction in flyers in my mailbox was quite evident as I received only two items for Spa sales and the nightly When & Where.  It must be noted that hundreds of paper menus are used in the MDR each day and discarded at the end of the meal services.

The Behind the Scenes Tour briefing at the Recycling Center emphasized the reduction in paper distribution, sorting procedures for all trash generted on board the ship, use of some recycled paper products as fuel, collecting oils and lubricants, crushing bottles and cans, and cleaning of gray water to nearly "drinkable" quality before discharge at sea.

For all of the recycled products (compressed metal, plastics, glass fragments, flattened paper boxes, etc.) that are sold, all of the sale proceeds are donated to the ship's Crew Fund.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 12:35 AM, richwmn said:

Unfortunately asking your Cabin Steward to trash it for you doesn't prevent it from getting printed, just prevents you from seeing it.

It is best to address concerns to Corporate offices.

They now have those divided trash cans so we are careful to separate our paper from other waste.  I agree with others there are far fewer leaflets. And much of the info is available digitally but if you go through the threads you will find many who don’t like the lack of printed newspapers and books. 

I think that the Navigator app as well as the interactive TV are a huge step in the right direction. On our last cruise aboard Niew Statendam, we got most (if not all) our information from both electronic platforms. Yes, it may be a small drop in the bucket when it comes to becoming green, but every little thing counts. 😀

39 minutes ago, Tennessee Titan said:

The least of our worries today!.........

Maybe we should worry. Saving a little bit here, and little bit there may make the difference between the cruise lines that make it through the current situation and those that don’t. 

On 4/19/2020 at 8:54 PM, Tapi said:

I think that the Navigator app as well as the interactive TV are a huge step in the right direction. On our last cruise aboard Niew Statendam, we got most (if not all) our information from both electronic platforms. Yes, it may be a small drop in the bucket when it comes to becoming green, but every little thing counts. 😀

The problem I had-on both the Nieuw Statendam in October and the Zuiderdam in January-was the glitching of the app. I eventually stopped even trying to see/plan what events were on during the day because it just didn't work properly. I love the idea, but when it doesn't work, it gets very frustrating. Maybe adding it to the tv as well as the app is a good answer.

And I really wonder if any of those advertisements resulted in a sale or a service being purchased.  For myself and my husband, I can honestly say, it has not.  Not even the flyers showing certain cruise itineraries has triggered us to book a cruise we were not previously interested in.