Glacier Bay 2020

Saab4444

1 hour ago, libertyelle said:

But when we booked our sailing, it had already changed from Skagway to Glacier Bay. So we made our initial decision to book this specific sailing based on the inclusion of Glacier Bay.

You are still well within time frame to cancel your cruise.  If you booked with refundable deposit, you are not out anything.  

In your cruise contract Royal does state that it can change itinerary at any time.  I have had many changes to booked cruises.  Poop happens.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, libertyelle said:

Spoke to Royal Caribbean and verified that they will not be offering any compensation or a waiver of change fees.

Our family booked our cruise specifically because it included the port stop at Glacier Bay- our family collects Junior Ranger badges from the National Parks, so we were willing to pay a premium to do it ($1200 more than a cruise on Ovation the following week with the same port stops we are now scheduled for). I think it's questionable from an ethical standpoint that they marketed cruises with this port stop (and still are showing it on the website) at a higher price point if they hadn't secured definitive approval from the NPS. We've been on cruises that had itinerary changes due to things outside of RC's control and rolled with it, but this feels different because the situation should have been avoidable.

I agree with you in that it's definitely a shady business practice, knowing full well many people choose Princess specifically for Glacier Bay.

But , as much as I hate to admit this, I can see Royals point in that they do not know who booked this cruise specially for Glacier Bay. Especially since it was not on the initial itinerary.

But hopefully on the other social media site, you can find enough people to convince Royal to give you some kind of compensation, even if it's $50 OBC.

Fact is that Royal officially received permissions to enter Glacier Bay from 2020 in the off season (Until May and from September) and they made a big marketing campaign about it. Thereafter many people like us booked only because of this. We know the other ports and would have never booked the boring original on Ovation with the effort to fly in from Europe. Holland America diverted one ship to Hubbard Glacier on the May and September dates and made room for Ovation. Now they change it back without giving any reason (!). It is obviously not because of weather, maybe they sold their slots back to Holland and made some extra money? This is a total unfair business behavior.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Fact is that Royal officially received permissions to enter Glacier Bay from 2020 in the off season (Until May and from September) and they made a big marketing campaign about it. Thereafter many people like us booked only because of this.

We had „Alaska“ on our „Bucketlist“. While doing some reseach, we figured out, Glacier Bay is a MUST see and there are only limited ships allowed. Searching for a cruise, we have seen RC is going to Glacier Bay. They had a nice package, 50% off for the second passenger. Now they change everything...

Rebooking with another cruiseline will cost us min. 700USD more (already checked HA). If we get the deposit back... I don’t know.
That stinks really, but I think we will end up, doing this one still. But thats the last RC cruise ever for us. 

18 minutes ago, Dendrochirus said:

We had „Alaska“ on our „Bucketlist“. While doing some reseach, we figured out, Glacier Bay is a MUST see and there are only limited ships allowed. Searching for a cruise, we have seen RC is going to Glacier Bay. They had a nice package, 50% off for the second passenger. Now they change everything...

Rebooking with another cruiseline will cost us min. 700USD more (already checked HA). If we get the deposit back... I don’t know.
That stinks really, but I think we will end up, doing this one still. But thats the last RC cruise ever for us. 

I booked a couple yesterday with HAL with $25 deposits while I make my mind up, they were close in price to what I paid RCI.

For  me (solo, balcony)  Princess and  NCL were more

33 minutes ago, Dendrochirus said:

25$ or 50% is a huge difference. Checked again now, $700-800 more with HAL than our RCL price 😬

HAL 7 day north bound

image.png.d6ddca9d742f52535c404b0e3663eef3.png

RCI 7 day north bound

image.png.53838e2f2512efcbca6385000fc3c564.png

Mine are pretty close, I also booked a 14 day that included $600 OBC for 6k so about the same price., both solo balconies

My RCI deposits were $250 each way, I think I may get back $150 FCC so lose $200.

A-

Edited by AlanF65

5 hours ago, HBE4 said:

But , as much as I hate to admit this, I can see Royals point in that they do not know who booked this cruise specially for Glacier Bay. Especially since it was not on the initial itinerary.

While this may be true, it wouldn’t be that difficult to offer a fair solution to those that did book specifically for Glacier Bay, particularly given the fact that Royal Caribbean raised the price to reflect the demand for Glacier Bay. And it would be good customer service.

For people who booked the original itinerary, it makes a lot of sense for RC to not offer anything. They are getting exactly what was advertised and what they paid for.

But for those that paid non-refundable deposits after RC changed the itinerary to include Glacier Bay and raised the price to reflect this change, at a minimum its only fair that they should be able to get their deposits back without penalty. It’s just common sense that this is the minimum RC could do to make those customers feel like they care.

For the record, I’m not personally impacted by this at all, though I am researching Alaska for 2021 and quite interested in Ovation as it looks like the best ship for my family. But I’ll now know not to pay a premium for Glacier Bay if I decide to go with Ovation. 

I’ve been cruising RC and following these forums for 3 years now (I love their ships and on board service), but I’m amazed at times by the lack of consistency in RCs corporate responses to situations that disappoint customers. Sometimes they go above and beyond and look like heroes, and other times they just defy common sense and appear intent on rubbing salt in the wounds for no good reason.

Hope those of you that booked for Glacier Bay get something, even if it isn’t a perfect solution. Happy cruising!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Fact is that Royal officially received permissions to enter Glacier Bay from 2020 in the off season (Until May and from September) and they made a big marketing campaign about it. Thereafter many people like us booked only because of this. 

Exactly. We have sailed with Royal twice before and our itinerary changed significantly both times, but I didn't have a problem with it- stuff happens. This situation is entirely different. Based on the evasive response I received from customer service when I asked them point-blank why the change was made, I'm assuming there was some sort of failure to plan on their end.

They shouldn't have marketed cruises as going to Glacier Bay (and sell them at a premium) if they didn't have a reasonable certainty that it would happen. (And it is still available for sale on the website!) Bad weather, mechanical issues- fine. But this was avoidable - at the bare minimum, the possibility that Glacier Bay port stops would be subject to the whims of another cruise line should have been disclosed up front. So why should only the customers bear any of the inconvenience and/or added costs that resulted from Royal's decision, while the cruise line itself entirely avoids any consequences?

All I requested was a waiver of the change fee so I can switch to a cruise that is a better fit for my family. That doesn't seem unreasonable under the circumstances, but they prefer to hide behind the ticket contract rather than do what is fair. It's just lousy customer service.

• Like 1

You’re missing out on NCL. We’ve done Alaska on the Radiance . We are booked on NCL next August on the Sun . 12 days including Glacier Bay. For my family of four in an ocean view with drink package . $4800 with $50 per port shore ex credits. ..... nothing else comes close on Royal, Carnival, Holland, Princess, or Celebrity for that length, price, drink package , and Glacier Bay ......

Edited by tallnthensome

I would be happy if they gave me back the deposit as credit towards a future cruise.   I just feel really screwed as I wouldn't have taken a shoulder season cruise if it wasn't for Glacier Bay.  I also would have went with a different cruise line.   Alaska may be a once in a lifetime trip for us and now we aren't going to see what we wanted to see most.   

I understand storms and stuff can cause diversions, but we are more than 6 months away, they have plenty of time to resell the rooms of anyone else affected by this change.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zepp914 said:

I would be happy if they gave me back the deposit as credit towards a future cruise.   I just feel really screwed as I wouldn't have taken a shoulder season cruise if it wasn't for Glacier Bay.  I also would have went with a different cruise line.   Alaska may be a once in a lifetime trip for us and now we aren't going to see what we wanted to see most.   

I understand storms and stuff can cause diversions, but we are more than 6 months away, they have plenty of time to resell the rooms of anyone else affected by this change.  

Since you are still before final payment date, I'd take my losses and go with Holland or Princess. 

This is a very significant change of itinerary, and it would not surprise me if there was a high percentage of guests who booked RC just for Glacier Bay.  Hopefully social media will publicize this enough for Royal to offer appropriate accommodation, including full refund.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Since you are still before final payment date, I'd take my losses and go with Holland or Princess. 

This is a very significant change of itinerary, and it would not surprise me if there was a high percentage of guests who booked RC just for Glacier Bay.  Hopefully social media will publicize this enough for Royal to offer appropriate accommodation, including full refund.

I would be out $750 since there are 3 of us.  My extended family booked through a travel agent, so I don't know if they will owe the same, more, or less.  

4 hours ago, zepp914 said:

I would be out $750 since there are 3 of us.  My extended family booked through a travel agent, so I don't know if they will owe the same, more, or less.  

You would only be out $300.

There is a penalty of $100pp.  The balance of the deposit is issued as a FCC that must be applied to a cruise within a year. (The actual sail date can be further out)

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You would only be out $300.

There is a penalty of $100pp.  The balance of the deposit is issued as a FCC that must be applied to a cruise within a year. (The actual sail date can be further out)

Thanks!  

I'll see how the travel agency handles it and go from there. 

43 minutes ago, zepp914 said:

Thanks!  

I'll see how the travel agency handles it and go from there. 

Royal has the same penalties regardless of booking direct or through a travel agent however,

- some ta’s may charge their own cancellation fee

- if your family booked any double occupancy cabins the TA may have had group rates which have fully refundable deposits. 

That’s a fairly big downgrade. Glacier Bay is a special highlight on AK cruises. It’s screwy for Royal to promote it and then pull it. Princess and Holland America really do AK best, so some of you may want to consider changing your cruise even if you normally are loyal to Royal. The Royal Princess would be the closest ship to Royal Caribbean ships in terms of onboard activities and amenities.

I did a mock booking on our upcoming cruise for 2020 and it stated,  "There are a few changes to this sail date's itinerary. We hope you're as excited as we are about this in your updated vacation plan."  We didn't receive an email so I called but the employee stated there is no changes to this cruise. SOOO odd.  6/12/20- Radiance.

1 minute ago, RCLcruiser2012 said:

I did a mock booking on our upcoming cruise for 2020 and it stated,  "There are a few changes to this sail date's itinerary. We hope you're as excited as we are about this in your updated vacation plan."  We didn't receive an email so I called but the employee stated there is no changes to this cruise. SOOO odd.  6/12/20- Radiance.

Lots of time for things to change, unfortunately.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RCLcruiser2012 said:

That is what I am thinking........  They wouldn't have that pop up on the website if there wasn't a change, but the RC agents should get a heads up....

Sometimes I think the RC phone agents are the last to know.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, our sailing is still showing as available for booking on the RC website with Glacier Bay on the itinerary, three days after the cancellation email was sent out. They also still have the sales flyer promoting these sailings specifically for Glacier Bay (http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Alaska/19069206_GlacierBay_Flyer.pdf). The fact that they targeted their marketing toward this one specific port proves the point that this is a significant itinerary change for folks who booked these sailings based on that advertising push.

We sent an e-mail to the senior manager of guest experience, Carlos Jimenez - carlosjimenez@rccl.com, to request a more satisfactory resolution to this issue, and I urge everyone else affected to take a few moments to do the same.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, libertyelle said:

Unfortunately, our sailing is still showing as available for booking on the RC website with Glacier Bay on the itinerary, three days after the cancellation email was sent out. They also still have the sales flyer promoting these sailings specifically for Glacier Bay (http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Alaska/19069206_GlacierBay_Flyer.pdf). The fact that they targeted their marketing toward this one specific port proves the point that this is a significant itinerary change for folks who booked these sailings based on that advertising push.

We sent an e-mail to the senior manager of guest experience, Carlos Jimenez - carlosjimenez@rccl.com, to request a more satisfactory resolution to this issue, and I urge everyone else affected to take a few moments to do the same.

Hopefully you can get this resolved to your satisfaction.  It seems Royal jumped the gun in marketing this cruise before securing the necessary approvals. A mistake of their own making.  Which is no surprise as they can't even get the information on their own website correct. I did a mock booking. Note the itinerary summary on the left & right sides in  the screen print below.

GB.PNG

Our sailing is even worse- both summaries still show Glacier Bay. That was part of the motivation for writing them, in addition to seeking a more fair resolution- it's indefensible to still be accepting bookings for this sailing while presenting customers with false information.

rc-website-screencap-2.jpg

• Like 1