Boy Did I Screw Up

GranysT

At least you are where you could take this cruise.  I would be screwed as my vacation time for 2019 is used up, and is completely allocated to 2020.  2021 would be the first time I could do something not on the current planning horizon.  5 years from now, I might be able to be flexible.  

jc

Cheryl,

This sounds like something I would do!  Glad that you're able to take the cruise anyway -- we wouldn't be able to, and have to wait until May for our next one -- right after Pat retires (finally)!

We've been to Bonaire; just walked around the port.  But we liked it and would like to go back to take an island tour.  

Hope all is well with you and Don -- happy to see that you're keeping busy!!

12 hours ago, GranysT said:

What a day I've had.   This morning at 2 am, I discovered that a cruise I thought I had booked for Nov 2020, was actually Nov 2019.  I panicked, but couldn't do anything at that time of morning. I found an amazing 9 nt cruise, that I loved. I booked it online, and like I said, thought it was for 2020. I meant for it to be 2020, as we just got back Oct 19, from our 2019 cruise.  The only thing that saved me from actually missing this cruise, was my TA emailed me. He said, your cruise is just around the corner. What!!   We have a year to go yet. So I pulled up my papers, and sure enough, it said Nov 29, 2019.  Yikes!  I thought it was funny my TA said I had to pay in full up front, but I had booked from this site before, and did always pay up front. So I didn't question it. Put it on our CC, figuring we had a year to pay off the card.

So now, we are in penalty phase, and have to take the cruise, or lose all our money.  I have spent the entire day, rearranging Dr appt, trying to book hotel in Miami, on Thanksgiving day, and find parking in Miami while we cruise.  A friend of mine is going with us, and she needed me to find her a flight, from Cleveland to Orlando. The day before Thanksgiving.  My head is spinning still, but I think I've got most of it taken care of.  All I can say is, from now on, I will  CAREFULLY read every word, and number, of what I'm trying to do. I'm not a newbie at all this, but am kicking myself right now.      

I once booked a flight home BEFORE the ship even docked. Realized it a few days before leaving.

I'm  not a newbie, either.

LOL Well that is sure a surprise while it is hard you will have a nice way to get some relaxation after the crazy last min. planning.  

My DH and I were looking into transatlantic cruises for end of April or early May for 2020 but have since changed out mind on booking one as our 4 children would not be with us.  We found some awesome prices and were like almost ready to book but then looked closer at the date.  Thank God we looked before as they were for April 2019 and we were in March of 2019.

I know people have mixed feelings about this, but it's yet another reason to wait until final payment to make full payment. I almost did that as well, I found a screaming good deal on an Alaska cruise on the Joy in the Haven. I thought it was in 2020, and when they asked me to make full payment I questioned it, then realized it was for 2019. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GranysT said:

I've been to Aruba couple of times, and Curacao once. Liked them both. Never to Bonaire.

Bonaire is one of my absolute favorite ports.  If you are into diving or snorkeling...you will be in heaven!  Even if not, it is a beautiful little island to Enjoy anyway.  🙂   

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

If it makes you feel any better I have driven to the wrong airport before and missed a flight ( we have to drive 2.5 hours to get to am airport and there are 3 different options at that driving distance).  I have arrived at an airport when the flight was the following week.  I have also booked the wrong return date as well only to find out on the day of.....   so it definitely happens lol.

LOL  My husband accused me  of planning this from the beginning, just to sneak in another cruise this year. I swear honey, I really really did make a bummer mistake.  I just finished our checkin and printed all the docs. I'm getting excited here. Wahoo. Oh Lord, packing again. Last cruise I packed about 2/3 more than I ever wore. I swear I'll do much less this time.  

27 minutes ago, GranysT said:

LOL  My husband accused me  of planning this from the beginning, just to sneak in another cruise this year.

That's a great idea - I might need to use this at some point to sneak one in 😁

Glad you can go and that it worked out!

7 hours ago, rimmit said:

If it makes you feel any better I have driven to the wrong airport before and missed a flight ( we have to drive 2.5 hours to get to am airport and there are 3 different options at that driving distance).  I have arrived at an airport when the flight was the following week.  I have also booked the wrong return date as well only to find out on the day of.....   so it definitely happens lol.

This gave me a good laugh.  Hope you can laugh now but I am sure at the time it was not funny.  I think I would let a travel agent do my booking for me going forward.  Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for all the understanding, and uplifting replies.  I expected to get a lot of put downs, for not purchasing insurance.  

Yes, it's a blessing that we are retired and have all the freedom to go ahead and take the cruise. Although we are cutting it close, as 6 days after we get back, we fly back to VA, to spend the holidays with our girls.  They bought our plane tickets, as part of our Christmas. And yes, I triple checked the dates and times. LOL

11 hours ago, island lady said:

Bonaire is one of my absolute favorite ports.  If you are into diving or snorkeling...you will be in heaven!  Even if not, it is a beautiful little island to Enjoy anyway.  🙂   

If you enjoy snorkeling, Woodwind Bonaire is one of the best snorkel excursions in the Caribbean. You can check them out and book thru their website....