Rude passengers!!!

AndyMichelle

Pleased to say that in my 16 P&O cruises - all on Club Dining - I have never had a table from hell or even a diner from hell.  Yes, I have experienced the occasional rude person but I guess that's just life.  I think the worst I have had was a woman on a mobility scooter bearing quite a likeness to Madge on Benidorm who as soon as the lift doors opened would say very loudly "coming in" and seemed to put the scooter into top speed 😲

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Pleased to say that in my 16 P&O cruises - all on Club Dining - I have never had a table from hell or even a diner from hell.  Yes, I have experienced the occasional rude person but I guess that's just life.  I think the worst I have had was a woman on a mobility scooter bearing quite a likeness to Madge on Benidorm who as soon as the lift doors opened would say very loudly "coming in" and seemed to put the scooter into top speed 😲

Same here. 

We must be so lucky judging by the horror stories.. 

I think we have also seen 'Madge'.. 

Andy 

• Like 2

I  think we encountered her on Aurora in November too,  but lift rudeness isn't only confined to a few wheelchair users. Both my husband and myself can only use the stairs going down but need to use lifts if going up. So coming back from a tour about 12.30pm one aftrnoon we were stood in a large group waiting for the lifts. One arrived and we all squeezed in with the usual laughs of 'every body breathe in' etc. We were full to capacity and the doors were about to close when a man's arm suddenly shot through the doors making them open again and he proceeded to force himself inside. We told him there wasn't anymore room but he insisted. A couple got out to let him get in. He never said thank you, just that he didn't want to miss lunch!!!

51 minutes ago, snaefell said:

My Wife has worked in hotels as a room attendant(modern,posh name for what used to be called a chambermaid!) since the early 1980's,used to be a hard but nice job meeting people but she will be so glad to retire next year as she is so sick of the modern day clientel who,unlike the early days,speak to her & her colleagues like something they brought in on their shoes & seem to delight in trashing their rooms.

I find that particularly sad. Over many years we’ve met some lovely people servicing our hotel rooms. They have very little time allowed per room and do a great job. Always tried to leave rooms as clean, neat and tidy as possible - hardly a difficult job - and to establish a relationship, insofar as you can in the timescale.

How difficult is it to say good morning, ask how someone is, and say thank you?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

I find that particularly sad. Over many years we’ve met some lovely people servicing our hotel rooms. They have very little time allowed per room and do a great job. Always tried to leave rooms as clean, neat and tidy as possible - hardly a difficult job - and to establish a relationship, insofar as you can in the timescale.

How difficult is it to say good morning, ask how someone is, and say thank you?

We chuckle about Michelle tidying up before the cleaner comes, even on cruises... 

No harm in trying to make their job as easy as possible as I'm sure others don't. 

We passed a cabin that had its door open to be cleaned, it looked like it had been ransacked, you could not see the floor... 

Andy 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

We chuckle about Michelle tidying up before the cleaner comes, even on cruises... 

No harm in trying to make their job as easy as possible as I'm sure others don't. 

We passed a cabin that had its door open to be cleaned, it looked like it had been ransacked, you could not see the floor... 

Andy 

Yep likewise we take the same steps.  Wash our tea mugs and keep the cabin very tidy.  There's little the steward needs to do.

On our October cruise we had a wonderful female steward who was in tears about a cabin on her stretch that had parents and kids in it.   They never did anything and every day left the cabin in absolute chaos requiring the steward to take lots of extra time for that one cabin which put her whole schedule out every day.   People are very unthinking at times.

There are often times I tell the steward not to even bother on a given day.

One way I do help to give the steward some reward for all the crap they have to put up with is to find out on every cruise which specific ports the steward will be allowed off the ship for a couple of hours.   These are very few and far between.  Then on that morning I give the steward 20 euros to have a few drinks on me whilst they are ashore.     And specifically if we happen to be in Dubrovnik, where there is a Seaman's Internet Café on the dockside that all the crew use, I rush down there as soon as the gang planks are lowered, go and buy an internet pass ticket for the day (it's about 5-10 euros) and get back on-board and give that ticket to the steward so that as soon as their shift is done they can pop down there and access the internet freely and contact their loved ones back home.   It's always greatly appreciated.    We always bring them special Christmas presents on Christmas cruises too.   Look out for your cabin stewards I say !

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

Yep likewise we take the same steps.  Wash our tea mugs and keep the cabin very tidy.  There's little the steward needs to do.

On our October cruise we had a wonderful female steward who was in tears about a cabin on her stretch that had parents and kids in it.   They never did anything and every day left the cabin in absolute chaos requiring the steward to take lots of extra time for that one cabin which put her whole schedule out every day.   People are very unthinking at times.

There are often times I tell the steward not to even bother on a given day.

One way I do help to give the steward some reward for all the crap they have to put up with is to find out on every cruise which specific ports the steward will be allowed off the ship for a couple of hours.   These are very few and far between.  Then on that morning I give the steward 20 euros to have a few drinks on me whilst they are ashore.     And specifically if we happen to be in Dubrovnik, where there is a Seaman's Internet Café on the dockside that all the crew use, I rush down there as soon as the gang planks are lowered, go and buy an internet pass ticket for the day (it's about 5-10 euros) and get back on-board and give that ticket to the steward so that as soon as their shift is done they can pop down there and access the internet freely and contact their loved ones back home.   It's always greatly appreciated.    We always bring them special Christmas presents on Christmas cruises too.   Look out for your cabin stewards I say !

KTS it's a bit pointless washing the mugs, AFAIK they replace them with clean ones each day.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

We also try  to leave the  room as tidy as possible.  I know what you mean about rooms looking like the have been ransacked, I always wonder what their home looks like lol.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 3

I like to make sure that everything is tidy too Andy. It must be a woman thing. We know much easier it to clean when you're not constantly tripping up over everything. I don't wash the mugs or glasses though because they change those if they've been used. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

KTS it's a bit pointless washing the mugs, AFAIK they replace them with clean ones each day.

Nope they don't.  If your mugs are still turned upside down and haven't been used then they have no need to replace them.

So wash your mugs, dry them, turn them upside down, and they won't need to be replaced simple as.

On 11/20/2019 at 12:26 PM, seadog18 said:

As far as I am concerned there is no such thing as good coffee, it all tastes revolting to me. Give me a cup of tea anytime I will be wearing my knotted hanky and with my rolled up trousers.😀 Now where are my braces.

I'm with you Seadog18 the smell is enough to put anyone off 😁  Hope I can I get a nice pot of oolong onboard. 

I tried that but they obviously know you've used them by the empties in the waste bin. I went back to the cabin because I'd forgotten something and he was changing them. I said not to bother as I'd washed them, but he insisted as they had been used and they must have a proper clean. His words not mine.

We often just throw things everywhere before we go to bed but always tidy them up before we go out the next morning,many guests at my Wifes' hotel have complained that nobody has picked up & folded the clothes they have just dropped everywhere,absolutely right you wonder what their homes are like.

The thing that probably annoys my Wife most though is the tips have pretty much disapeared these days too!

• Like 1

We always keep our cabin tidy. Couldn't cope with being in such a relatively small space among such a mess let alone the poor cabin steward.

Though the overwhelming majority of people we meet on cruises are lovely we have met one or two who make you want to throw them overboard! One such obnoxious man was the one we met on Celebrity Edge last year. We were all squashed in a lift and as we shuffled back an American lady accidentally caught the front of his toe (in sandals). She apologised straight away and asked if he was ok. He then proceeded to make snide remarks about her injuring him and how it was not acceptable. Initially, we all thought that he was joking and smiled … he then continued to rant at her to say that it was not at all funny. Then we all knew that he was bring serious. It was very, very awkward …. if anyone has seen the scene from the 'Pink Panther' film when everyone is in a lift in an awkward silence it was like that!

The rude man got off the lift and still made some sort of unkind comment to the lady as he left. She was visibly shocked, as was the other woman with her. (I do wonder if he would have done this if she had had a man with her, but who knows)

I saw the woman about half an hour later at the Sunset Bar and made a point of congratulating her on the way that she had handled what was such an obnoxious, rude man. She really appreciated that as she had been questioning if she was in the wrong and had been so upset by it. I told her not to worry, that everyone else was on her side (perhaps should have said something to him but he was very agitated) and that we could always team together to throw him over the side !

It takes all sorts to make the world go around and, sadly, cruise ships are not immune from those who need to have a personality transplant …….. or just be towed in a rowing boat from the back of the ship !!!

7 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

Nope they don't.  If your mugs are still turned upside down and haven't been used then they have no need to replace them.

So wash your mugs, dry them, turn them upside down, and they won't need to be replaced simple as.

I think I would still prefer to have our mugs go through a hot dishwasher, rather than rinsing them under the tap in the bathroom.

34 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

One such obnoxious man was the one we met on Celebrity Edge last year. We were all squashed in a lift and as we shuffled back an American lady accidentally caught the front of his toe (in sandals). She apologised straight away and asked if he was ok. He then proceeded to make snide remarks about her injuring him and how it was not acceptable. Initially, we all thought that he was joking and smiled … he then continued to rant at her to say that it was not at all funny. Then we all knew that he was bring serious. It was very, very awkward …. if anyone has seen the scene from the 'Pink Panther' film when everyone is in a lift in an awkward silence it was like that!

The rude man got off the lift and still made some sort of unkind comment to the lady as he left. She was visibly shocked, as was the other woman with her. (I do wonder if he would have done this if she had had a man with her, but who knows)

I saw the woman about half an hour later at the Sunset Bar and made a point of congratulating her on the way that she had handled what was such an obnoxious, rude man. 

But surely, reading many of the other posts, obnoxious passengers only travel with P&O... 

You must be mistaken... 😂😂

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

But surely, reading many of the other posts, obnoxious passengers only travel with P&O... 

You must be mistaken... 😂😂

Andy 

Love your sarcasm :classic_laugh::classic_biggrin:

Sadly, all lines, all nationalities have 'them' ………….. and, dare we say it, even land holidays too have their fair share ! (You can't throw them overboard there though!)

:classic_wink:

Just now, Presto2 said:

Sadly, all lines, all nationalities have 'them' ………….. and, dare we say it, even land holidays too have their fair share ! (You can't throw them overboard there though!)

That's my point, they are among us... Even here... 😊

Andy 

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Just wait until they are in the pool and drag them under ☺️

We had a 3 night pre-cruise stay last October,we met some really obnoxious people then & dreaded the thought of being 'stuck' on a ship with them,that's when a big ship becomes a blessing,we didn't see any of them during the cruise thankfully!

1 hour ago, snaefell said:

We had a 3 night pre-cruise stay last October,we met some really obnoxious people then & dreaded the thought of being 'stuck' on a ship with them,that's when a big ship becomes a blessing,we didn't see any of them during the cruise thankfully!

That's probably why we don't encounter these people... We know where to hide.. 

Andy 

• Haha 1