Rude passengers!!!

AndyMichelle

21 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Apparently as we reach old age there are personality changes, one of which is underlying personality traits which we suppress during life begin to surface. Why do we suppress them? to make it possible to exist in a social environment where compromise is needed. So that grumpy old man has always been that way inside his brain and he did not know he was supressing it.

That's very philofingybob.What about the people who have been miserable,grumpy buggers all their lives.I've known loads over the years.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, brian1 said:

That's very philofingybob.What about the people who have been miserable,grumpy buggers all their lives.I've known loads over the years.

Look it up, it is true

Yep, lots of grumpy folk about

also they may be suffering from chronic pain, that can make you irritable, I know, I have been there. luckily the NHS sorted it, eventually.

32 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Look it up, it is true

Yep, lots of grumpy folk about

also they may be suffering from chronic pain, that can make you irritable, I know, I have been there. luckily the NHS sorted it, eventually.

Come to think of it,a lot of them were my customers.Perhaps I'm the chronic pain,lol.

How's this for a "rude passenger"? 

I recently did a Fred Olsen cruise on Balmoral. On the first night I joined my dining table to find a man about 45 ish and an elderly man seated there. Two much older ladies joined us later. I greeted them and told them my name and asked the usual ice breaker question of "have you been on Balmoral before"? Yes I have replied the 45 ish man. I find it good hunting ground to hook up with single, lonely, sad 50 year old women! At first I thought he was joking.... so I replied that I was neither single, lonely, sad or indeed 50!

He then kept asking me to go for a drink with him and constantly asked me for my cabin number throughout the meal, despite me saying that there was no way I was giving a complete stranger my cabin number. Eventually he said "well if you won't tell me then I can always follow you back to it tonight and then I will know". I regarded this as completely out of order and it felt like almost stalking me, so I left the table and went and reported him to Guest Relations. They sent a Security Officer to warn him that his behaviour was objectionable and if he repeated it to any other ladies he would be put off the ship. 

I am a confident and well travelled GP and fully able to deal with such an unpleasant character but I did think about how upset and worried less confident ladies who were cruising alone would feel if they had been subjected to his rude behaviour. Needless to say I changed dinner tables and met a fantastic group of people on the second table. One lovely man, ex services, and looked to be very fit, who was travelling with his wife and sister, offered to go and "sort him out" for me! 😄 

I'm sure nothing like that will happen on my Aurora cruise tomorrow! 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Lottie A said:

I recently did a Fred Olsen cruise on Balmoral. On the first night I joined my dining table to find a man about 45 ish and an elderly man seated there. Two much older ladies joined us later. I greeted them and told them my name and asked the usual ice breaker question of "have you been on Balmoral before"? Yes I have replied the 45 ish man. I find it good hunting ground to hook up with single, lonely, sad 50 year old women! At first I thought he was joking.... so I replied that I was neither single, lonely, sad or indeed 50!

He then kept asking me to go for a drink with him and constantly asked me for my cabin number throughout the meal, despite me saying that there was no way I was giving a complete stranger my cabin number. Eventually he said "well if you won't tell me then I can always follow you back to it tonight and then I will know". I regarded this as completely out of order and it felt like almost stalking me, so I left the table and went and reported him to Guest Relations. They sent a Security Officer to warn him that his behaviour was objectionable and if he repeated it to any other ladies he would be put off the ship. 

I am a confident and well travelled GP and fully able to deal with such an unpleasant character but I did think about how upset and worried less confident ladies who were cruising alone would feel if they had been subjected to his rude behaviour. Needless to say I changed dinner tables and met a fantastic group of people on the second table. One lovely man, ex services, and looked to be very fit, who was travelling with his wife and sister, offered to go and "sort him out" for me! 😄 

That is beyond rude, but unfortunately we heard a similar, if not as sinister story on Aurora, cannot remember if it was June this year or December last. 

A chap went to the singles meeting on the first Sea day, took a liking to a lady, ignored everyone else and stuck to her like glue, stopping her from mingling with the others. 

She asked another lady to have a word with him to explain politely that she was not interested and I believe he took the hint. 

Don't let this worry you, there are idiots in all walks of life. 

Have a fantastic time on Aurora, she is beautiful. 

Andy 

28 minutes ago, Lottie A said:

That is a despicable way for someone to behave.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

That is beyond rude, but unfortunately we heard a similar, if not as sinister story on Aurora, cannot remember if it was June this year or December last. 

A chap went to the singles meeting on the first Sea day, took a liking to a lady, ignored everyone else and stuck to her like glue, stopping her from mingling with the others. 

She asked another lady to have a word with him to explain politely that she was not interested and I believe he took the hint. 

Don't let this worry you, there are idiots in all walks of life. 

Have a fantastic time on Aurora, she is beautiful. 

Andy 

I will Andy, I haven't been on Aurora for several years now but she was always my favourite P&O ship. Looking forward to getting reacquainted with her. I usually cruise with Azamara or Silversea nowadays but I have always thought Aurora was a beautiful, classic ship. 

Just now, Lottie A said:

I will Andy, I haven't been on Aurora for several years now but she was always my favourite P&O ship. Looking forward to getting reacquainted with her. I usually cruise with Azamara or Silversea nowadays but I have always thought Aurora was a beautiful, classic ship. 

She has aged well, a bit dated in places, but we always have fantastic holidays on her. 

Enjoy, 

Andy 

We normally don't use the lifts but on one occasion we witnessed a couple who got in the floor after us. At the next floor a single gentleman got in and pressed the button to go up one floor. The woman turned to the man and said " You should walk up the stairs and you'd maybe loose some of that!" At that point she poked him in the stomach fairly firmly. We stood stunned and the man got out without replying. Not that it matters but the man wasn't particularly overweight. As the doors shut I let rip. I asked her why she thought it was acceptable to speak to someone like that. She replied, "He should get up in the morning like I do and go for a swim and get some of his beef off". I told her that she was completely out of order and as far as she knew the man might have a medical condition but to use the lift was his choice. She simply told me, "F*** Off". Nice !!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Lottie A said:

That is an absolutely dreadful experience and I completely understand what you mean about about how it would have been for a less confident individual than you.  I make no excuse for him whatever but you have to wonder whether he is on the Autistic Spectrum or has some other learning disability or mental health issue.  Have a wonderful cruise on what is now my favourite P&O ship.

13 hours ago, dgs1956 said:

We normally don't use the lifts but on one occasion we witnessed a couple who got in the floor after us. At the next floor a single gentleman got in and pressed the button to go up one floor. The woman turned to the man and said " You should walk up the stairs and you'd maybe loose some of that!" At that point she poked him in the stomach fairly firmly. We stood stunned and the man got out without replying. Not that it matters but the man wasn't particularly overweight. As the doors shut I let rip. I asked her why she thought it was acceptable to speak to someone like that. She replied, "He should get up in the morning like I do and go for a swim and get some of his beef off". I told her that she was completely out of order and as far as she knew the man might have a medical condition but to use the lift was his choice. She simply told me, "F*** Off". Nice !!!

Well done for speaking up!  I really do wonder why people think they have a right to be so rude.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Britboys said:

That is an absolutely dreadful experience and I completely understand what you mean about about how it would have been for a less confident individual than you.  I make no excuse for him whatever but you have to wonder whether he is on the Autistic Spectrum or has some other learning disability or mental health issue.  Have a wonderful cruise on what is now my favourite P&O ship.

I did consider your points Britboys but as a GP I have a lot of experience in identifying mental health issues or people on the Autistic spectrum and I don’t think for one moment that was his problem. He was just a thoroughly nasty and unpleasant man! 
I’m really going to enjoy my little Aurora cruise, so thank you for your good wishes. 

• Like 3

On 11/19/2019 at 11:23 PM, wowzz said:

Let's just hope and pray that any new contract is not won by Starbucks,  probably the worst coffee in the world!

Absolutely! It's so insipid - coffee for people who really don't like coffee.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Csardas said:

Absolutely! It's so insipid - coffee for people who really don't like coffee.

Just the mention of Camp coffee has made me relive my past and made me so nostalgic ... memories of my childhood and late parents. Ahhh .... PS They hated real coffee ......

• Like 3

We just got home after our first ever p &o cruise on Britannia. We absolutely loved it , beautiful ship, beautiful food couldn’t fault it really apart from one incident in the lovely epicurean restaurant. We were a party of four and had our night ruined by one guest in particular who was dining with his wife on a table close to us, by his constant complaining. As we arrived in the restaurant the staff explained the whole dining experience could take around two and a half hours or longer which we were fine with, the guest on the other table begged to differ as he complained about having to wait over 45 mins for his starter and when it finally arrived he complained about it saying “how am I supposed to eat this, what am I to do with it”  ! It was a lobster dish served in a  tilted wine glass but it was amazing as I ordered it. How the waiter kept a straight face I will never know. He summoned the head waiter over and complained about everything , the waiter replied that there were lots of other diners enjoying their meals to which the guest replied” but look around you , you can tell these people are used to eating in the buffet and wouldn’t know fine dining  therefore wouldn’t know good food!!! We were furious and made comments loud enough for them to hear as how dare he suggest we wouldn’t know good food!  This guest was bragging about his wealth and how he ate in expensive restaurants all over the world but no amount of money can buy manners he  behaved appallingly. I wish the head waiter had told him to leave if he didn’t like it instead of ruining other diners evening. Funnily enough we saw him in the buffet lots of times after that!

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, scubadiverswife said:

We just got home after our first ever p &o cruise on Britannia. We absolutely loved it , beautiful ship, beautiful food couldn’t fault it really apart from one incident in the lovely epicurean restaurant. We were a party of four and had our night ruined by one guest in particular who was dining with his wife on a table close to us, by his constant complaining. As we arrived in the restaurant the staff explained the whole dining experience could take around two and a half hours or longer which we were fine with, the guest on the other table begged to differ as he complained about having to wait over 45 mins for his starter and when it finally arrived he complained about it saying “how am I supposed to eat this, what am I to do with it”  ! It was a lobster dish served in a  tilted wine glass but it was amazing as I ordered it. How the waiter kept a straight face I will never know. He summoned the head waiter over and complained about everything , the waiter replied that there were lots of other diners enjoying their meals to which the guest replied” but look around you , you can tell these people are used to eating in the buffet and wouldn’t know fine dining  therefore wouldn’t know good food!!! We were furious and made comments loud enough for them to hear as how dare he suggest we wouldn’t know good food!  This guest was bragging about his wealth and how he ate in expensive restaurants all over the world but no amount of money can buy manners he  behaved appallingly. I wish the head waiter had told him to leave if he didn’t like it instead of ruining other diners evening. Funnily enough we saw him in the buffet lots of times after that!

Sadly you do find that some people are like this, and I completely understand how it then impacts on your evening as it is hard to ignore. 

We had a similar experience of a passenger voicing their opinion during a muster drill - from start to finish and he was intoxicated. It wasn't a good experience for those of us on the surrounding tables to his, and he was rude about not only the crew but captain also. 

• 2 months later...

When we get in the lifts we always stand back for wheelchair users to get in first. However there have been occasions where someone on an electric vehicle has whizzed in and practically barged their way in, even when the the lift has been full. Passengers stepped out to allow them entry and then couldn't get back in again.  And all the time there was no ' excuse me or thank you'. 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:13 PM, scubadiverswife said:

This reminds me of when me and my husband were dining in the Epicurean on Azura in December. 2 men arrived with a little girl (from over hearing them talking, it was grandad, son and granddaughter). It all started going down hill when they wanted to order the sharing beef dish each, ie 4 main courses between the two of them. After checking they were waiter was very polite in saying they wouldn't be able to do this.

It all calmed down then until about 30 minutes later, we are halfway through our main and the son audibly broke wind, me and my husband sort of looked at each other to say "*****?!" and then his daughter (only around 6) told him off and told him he was disgusting.

On the plus side, the little girl was an absolute delight!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winnie Witch said:

When we get in the lifts we always stand back for wheelchair users to get in first. However there have been occasions where someone on an electric vehicle has whizzed in and practically barged their way in, even when the the lift has been full. Passengers stepped out to allow them entry and then couldn't get back in again.  And all the time there was no ' excuse me or thank 

I'm not too surprised about this kind of behaviour any more. Having said that l find that it's only a small majority of the wheelchair users. I always stand back to let wheelchair users take the lifts and many a time I've had to insist that they take it. We've encountered so many rude people on cruises that  its water off a ducks back now. Having said that, the one thing that I find extremely annoying and have to reply to is "And how much did you pay for your cruise then?" With a smile I always say "That's  absolutely nothing to do with you" They probably walk away thinking "How rude!!" 😆

You'll find all manner of strange and rude people aboard these days unfortunately but if you sensibly opt for Freedom Dining you only have to endure one night and then will meet new people the next day.   I've seen plenty of strange people.

I've had a guy on the neighbouring dining table roll the corner of his napkin up, stick it in his ear and wiggle it about to get ear wax out !

This Christmas on a Black Tie evening an old boy at our table popped about 7 pills at the start of his meal and after the main course simply lolled in his seat asleep.   His wife was clearly used to it and gave him an occasional nudge but the poor lady the other side felt very awkward and of course didn't have someone to talk to next to her.   I personally felt for the old boy as he was obviously unwell being on so many tablets and in the "departure lounge" of life.   When he could stay awake and talk we had a lot of common ground and shared knowledge of our local towns.

I've seen people in the self-serve buffet areas (which we affectionately refer to as the "smash 'n' grab") pick up food items with their hands (usually the cakes and desserts) look at them and then decide they don't want them and put them back.

I've seen adults and kids alike refilling their own drink bottles from the self-service machines thereby contaminating them

Before Freedom Dining I once had a gluttonous pair of women on my dining table for the duration who, every single night, ordered every soup on the menu after their starters and who after the main meal always ordered a dessert AND with it a large bowl of all the 3 available flavours of ice-creams.   They didn't care one iota that the entire table had to sit and wait and watch whilst they worked their way through multiple bowls of soup before we could be served our mains.

We had a guy turn up to the main dining restaurant on Arcadia in a track suit (why he was allowed in I do not know but that's the drop in dress code and standards for you!).   He constantly chuntered under his breath and swore with very foul language and made nasty remarks about the waiters.   We moved tables the very next night.

Last year there was a very pompous woman on-board who was extremely demanding and obviously craved attention and was used to much better service than P&O.    The waiters referred to her as "The Queen" and table after table after table of people who had been unfortunate to land on her table in Freedom Dining were turning up every subsequent night to dinner and demanding that the restaurant manager/receptionist avoided putting them on the same table as this awful woman.

Personally I can not abide anyone ridiculing or criticising (unduly) any of the sterling waiters in the restaurant.  The amount of absolute ***t they have to put up with from stupid passengers is unbelievable and they have to turn the other cheek and just soldier on.   I always do what I can for these people.

Strange and rude people are par for the course on any cruise.  You get used to it but I have to say the clientele have changed over the years as Carnival have gone after a wider market.

Edited by KnowTheScore

Having worked with the general public all my life I have a great amount of respect for all the waiters and cabin stewards. One piece of advice I was given in dealing with awkward people was " smile politely and always remember, the customer is rarely right,  you just allow them to believe they are "

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

Last year there was a very pompous woman on-board who was extremely demanding and obviously craved attention and was used to much better service than P&O.    The waiters referred to her as "The Queen" and table after table after table of people who had been unfortunate to land on her table in Freedom Dining were turning up every subsequent night to dinner and demanding that the restaurant manager/receptionist avoided putting them on the same table as this awful woman.

Personally I can not abide anyone ridiculing or criticising (unduly) any of the sterling waiters in the restaurant.  The amount of absolute ***t they have to put up with from stupid passengers is unbelievable and they have to turn the other cheek and just soldier on.   I always do what I can for these people.

Strange and rude people are par for the course on any cruise.  You get used to it but I have to say the clientele have changed over the years as Carnival have gone after a wider market.

Probably a coincidence, but we encountered possibly the same woman.  Constantly demanding more and more, with an incredible arrogance.  Husband not quite as bad.  We put up with it, politely going along with her constant demand for attention, but then stupidly found ourselves on the same table a second time.  Out of politeness, again, we didn't ask to sit elsewhere and put up with it again.

Third time?  No way - we were watching where we were headed and asked for a different table without having to cause offence.  Sat down - immediately joined by a delightful couple who'd just done the same swerve to avoid the woman.

Just imagine putting up with it on Club Dining, though she'd probably end up with a table to herself after all the defections.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

Was this a cruise last October ish Harry?   Ventura?

Azura, March/April last year.  She was horrendous.  A regular cruiser though, so she may well have been on Ventura in October.  Loved to boast about all the cruises and how she could always get the staff to do exactly what she wanted.

They were, as always, delightful and incredibly tolerant.  I worked in a restaurant during the vacations when I was at university, way back, and I'm not sure I could have managed to bottle it up!

In the MDR on Britannia 2 years ago this March,we had a table for 2 as usual but anybody who has been there will know that the tables are mostly so close together that you might as well be sharing,this guy with his daughter,he was very drunk,very loud,very rude to everyone,felt sorry for his teenage daughter who had a full time job apologising to people constantly,hope the poor girl got a proper holiday afterwards to get over it!

My Wife has worked in hotels as a room attendant(modern,posh name for what used to be called a chambermaid!) since the early 1980's,used to be a hard but nice job meeting people but she will be so glad to retire next year as she is so sick of the modern day clientel who,unlike the early days,speak to her & her colleagues like something they brought in on their shoes & seem to delight in trashing their rooms.

Edited by snaefell