Rude passengers!!!

AndyMichelle

On our last cruise on Oriana, we were looking at the menu on the lecturn just outside MDR when one old "dear" tried to barge her way in, saying let me have a look now!

I said you are welcome when we are finished. She said " Well I never did, Well you did now says I.   Off she went muttering to herself.

On our recent Marella fly cruise, we had extra space seat's. Rather large young man sat next to me, overflowing into my "space".

Oh no thinks me, wondering have I got grounds to complain.

No need as the stewardess comes and says will have to move you.

You have to be able to use the E exit.   To his credit he said OK was expecting it !!!  After he left, a woman near us muttered "served him right the lump of lard". To me that was more than just rude!

On the ship there were plenty of queue jumpers, sunbed reservers,  people not washing hands after using toilets, pax loudly going back to their cabins late at night and door slammers. 

Rude, annoying, obnoxious, unhygenic?

6 minutes ago, oxygenbanditnot said:

On our last cruise on Oriana, we were looking at the menu on the lecturn just outside MDR when one old "dear" tried to barge her way in, saying let me have a look now!

I said you are welcome when we are finished. She said " Well I never did, Well you did now says I.   Off she went muttering to herself.

On our recent Marella fly cruise, we had extra space seat's. Rather large young man sat next to me, overflowing into my "space".

Oh no thinks me, wondering have I got grounds to complain.

No need as the stewardess comes and says will have to move you.

You have to be able to use the E exit.   To his credit he said OK was expecting it !!!  After he left, a woman near us muttered "served him right the lump of lard". To me that was more than just rude!

On the ship there were plenty of queue jumpers, sunbed reservers,  people not washing hands after using toilets, pax loudly going back to their cabins late at night and door slammers. 

Rude, annoying, obnoxious, unhygenic?

Wow!!!! I'm assuming you're perfect. 

• Like 1

Why assume??? I am by no means perfect but I was brought up to do thing's right ! So for example I would not agree with people who think it is Ok to turn up way ahead of their embarkation time although a caviat to that is the fact that P&O perhaps can't organise a brewery trip !

It is not hard to be curtious and do thing's properly. 

4 minutes ago, oxygenbanditnot said:

Why assume??? I am by no means perfect but I was brought up to do thing's right ! So for example I would not agree with people who think it is Ok to turn up way ahead of their embarkation time although a caviat to that is the fact that P&O perhaps can't organise a brewery trip !

Or even be a little diplomatic and tactful maybe. 

• Like 2

I seem to be a little more laid back than you, but having said that I'm also no walkover. However , I don't let other people's lack of manners aggravate me to the extent they seem to do you. There will always be rude people with a sense of entitlement. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oxygenbanditnot said:

I always turn up early, not expecting anything, if I have to wait, so be it, my choice. 

The system P&O have in place means that you will not affect anyone who arrives on time, they always get priority. 

The early arrivers are only boarded when there is a gap in proceedings. 

The staff encourage you to board early to not clash with the coaches. 

Andy 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, oxygenbanditnot said:

We turn up when Eavesway drops us off.

1 hour ago, oxygenbanditnot said:

Rather large young man sat next to me, overflowing into my "space".

After he left, a woman near us muttered "served him right the lump of lard". To me that was more than just rude!

Sadly sounds like the sort of thing my Wife might say,expecting to retire next year she hasn't grown old gracefully,anybody foreign,overweight or not working seems a cue for her to comment these days!

• Haha 1

Just now, snaefell said:

Sadly sounds like the sort of thing my Wife might say,expecting to retire next year she hasn't grown old gracefully,anybody foreign,overweight or not working seems a cue for her to comment these days!

I hope she doesn’t read this forum, or you could find yourself in hot water! 😂 

44 minutes ago, snaefell said:

I hope you request a table for two on your cruises then Snaefell...

39 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I hope you request a table for two on your cruises then Snaefell...

Oh I do,hoping things will improve when she does retire,a real chip on her shoulder has been caused by her expecting to get her pension & retire at 60,that being changed to 66 as has happened to many,really has caused an attack of the grumps!

Unfortunately people tend to notice (and comment on) annoying behaviour more frequently than good behaviour.There was a gentleman on our last cruise with a disabled wife (I think she may have previously had a stroke or similar) It brought tears to my eyes the way he interacted and cared for her and several people went over to him and remarked on his handling of the situation .I thought it was lovely that people went over to him and commented on the positive 🙂

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Unfortunately people tend to notice (and comment on) annoying behaviour more frequently than good behaviour.There was a gentleman on our last cruise with a disabled wife (I think she may have previously had a stroke or similar) It brought tears to my eyes the way he interacted and cared for her and several people went over to him and remarked on his handling of the situation .I thought it was lovely that people went over to him and commented on the positive 🙂

I think most passengers are decent, caring people. 

We had a lovely lady and her disabled son join us in Metropolis at New Year. 

It was very busy, but we had space so called them over.

She commented that everyone had been so nice on the cruise, her first one with just her son since her husband died and was so grateful for the kindness. 

There was another chap with his seriously disabled wife, it really moved us seeing how much he cared, but also the kindness of other passengers. 

In general, the cruising community are a lovely bunch but there will always be the odd one. 

Andy 

• Like 3

I may be totally wrong with some people (some people are just plain rude) but I often wonder if some we class as rude are living with Dementia and need a little more understanding. Dementia isn't something that is obvious and can come on gradually. Strange behaviour that we think is a 'rude elderly person' could be someone more serious. Just a thought as I remember when my dad had dementia just how difficult it could be and if you didn't know him you would think he was just being awkward.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Presto2 said:

I may be totally wrong with some people (some people are just plain rude) but I often wonder if some we class as rude are living with Dementia and need a little more understanding. Dementia isn't something that is obvious and can come on gradually. Strange behaviour that we think is a 'rude elderly person' could be someone more serious. Just a thought as I remember when my dad had dementia just how difficult it could be and if you didn't know him you would think he was just being awkward.

Good point. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I think that is sometimes the case, similarly sometimes we tend to criticise children when they may have special needs and not understand everything(particularly if they look 'normal') I have been more aware of this since my grandson was diagnosed as Autistic and my daughter has had some terrible comments about him.His behaviour isn t bad but if he is scared and doesnt understand something he has a meltdown.I soon learned that trying to bribe him with chocolate  (which I can do with my other grandson) wasn t going to work!!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ann141 said:

I think that is sometimes the case, similarly sometimes we tend to criticise children when they may have special needs and not understand everything(particularly if they look 'normal') I have been more aware of this since my grandson was diagnosed as Autistic and my daughter has had some terrible comments about him.His behaviour isn t bad but if he is scared and doesnt understand something he has a meltdown.I soon learned that trying to bribe him with chocolate  (which I can do with my other grandson) wasn t going to work!!

I do find that some judge children on cruises even if they are behaving. 

sometimes you see a kid having an absolute melt down and some people make comments or tut. What the probably haven’t seen is the child that’s been so good all day, done lots or playing or walking trying to take in new things and that get tired and overwhelmed. Us adults would wait till we are back and the cabin and have a drink or a rant the kids can’t do that and usually cry as a way to release the tension. 

even I’m guilty of it too. When mine start to  tantrum I get cross wondering why the can’t just behave and it’s usually when their sound asleep and I’m thinking about the day that I realise that they woke up early to go ashore, walked a good couple of miles, played in the kids club and then I get them all dressed up and try to make them little adults by sitting in a big loud room with lots of adults. It’s overwhelming for them. In day to day life they aren’t surrounded by that many people that are 3x the size of them etc and as much as kids try to express themselves they are same as us, especially me, who sometimes just needs a good cry to feel better. 

I enjoy cruising and so do the kids. I was lucky last time they were both relatively good but there will alway be that odd time and always that one person who says something about the children that will make your blood boil. 

think some people forget that

• Like 1

Most children on cruises are generally well behaved but we have noticed that sometimes parents keep them up far later than they are probably used to because they want to spend time in a bar or see a late show, in these cases the children will be over tired and grouchy. 

We have taken children with us twice and because we are not their parents we did not want to abandon them to the kids club while we spent the evening going to the show or a bar to listen to music etc so we simply went to the early show then had a quick drink before going back to the cabin at around 9pm.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

sometimes you see a kid having an absolute melt down and some people make comments or tut. What the probably haven’t seen is the child that’s been so good all day, done lots or playing or walking trying to take in new things and that get tired and overwhelmed. Us adults would wait till we are back and the cabin and have a drink or a rant the kids can’t do that and usually cry as a way to release the tension. 

even I’m guilty of it too. When mine start to  tantrum I get cross wondering why the can’t just behave and it’s usually when their sound asleep and I’m thinking about the day that I realise that they woke up early to go ashore, walked a good couple of miles, played in the kids club and then I get them all dressed up and try to make them little adults by sitting in a big loud room with lots of adults. It’s overwhelming for them. In day to day life they aren’t surrounded by that many people that are 3x the size of them etc and as much as kids try to express themselves they are same as us, especially me, who sometimes just needs a good cry to feel better. 

I enjoy cruising and so do the kids. I was lucky last time they were both relatively good but there will alway be that odd time and always that one person who says something about the children that will make your blood boil. 

Wonderful post, it can be hard as parents to see it from the kid's perspective "in the moment" but reflecting and learning from the experience definitely makes you a better mum (or dad). Talking it through with your spouse or partner is a big help too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

We often get parents apologising to us about their kids, usually for absolutely no reason. 

We all have to remember it's the kids holiday too and a daunting experience for them and we happily sit amongst them, most of the time it's a joy. 

However, we have seen babies in the nightclub at 1am, totally shattered, but the parents want just one more drink.. 

Kids should not be allowed to run riot either, for their own and others safety, but good parents don't need to be told this and the majority that we have encountered are fantastic parents. 

If it really bothered us, all our cruises would be on Aurora/Arcadia. 

Andy 

7 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

We often get parents apologising to us about their kids, usually for absolutely no reason. 

We all have to remember it's the kids holiday too and a daunting experience for them and we happily sit amongst them, most of the time it's a joy. 

However, we have seen babies in the nightclub at 1am, totally shattered, but the parents want just one more drink.. 

Kids should not be allowed to run riot either, for their own and others safety, but good parents don't need to be told this and the majority that we have encountered are fantastic parents. 

If it really bothered us, all our cruises would be on Aurora/Arcadia. 

Andy 

yes I am guilty of doing that. Often apologise and not quite sure what for. 

1am is not a time you wanna see when you have kids. They usually wake up early then your shattered all day!

we found that our youngest sometimes had a little snooze during the day (sometimes we all did😆) but that meant she could then come to the bar at night. I don’t think we stayed later than 10pm on any night just cos it’s much easier to stay with a little bit of routine with kids than completely change it all cos it’s a nightmare getting back into bedtimes at home again if not careful.

also agree that kids can’t run riot. I’m probably a little too strict with mine as I don’t like them near the sides really. 

cruises are a little harder to keep the kids happy I find. Cos really is adults just wanna relax and have cocktails etc. Kids don’t wanna sit still much. 
this is why mine both have a little notepad and pen to colour, write and we play little paper games etc

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We shared a table with a man who was so rude to the waiters that he couldn't even look at them and insisted on ordering two steaks every night. On the same table there was a woman who talked about her allergies and ailments non stop and injected insulin into her arm. The other couple produced a laptop one night onto the table. 

We were disgusted by the man who was rude to the waiters and asked to be moved explaining why.