Any benefit to Forward vs Aft cabins on the Grandeur? (inside or oceanview)

Never been on this ship but looking for some advice from you experts.  We're planning an interior or oceanview cabin, probably around deck 4 on the Grandeur.  (but will choose other decks based on advice)

We typically choose forward cabins, but that's on Freedom and Voyager classes.  Any benefit to for or aft on the Grandeur?  Noise, proximity to venues?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

37 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Never been on this ship but looking for some advice from you experts.  We're planning an interior or oceanview cabin, probably around deck 4 on the Grandeur.  (but will choose other decks based on advice)

We typically choose forward cabins, but that's on Freedom and Voyager classes.  Any benefit to for or aft on the Grandeur?  Noise, proximity to venues?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Doesn't make much difference. It's a small ship.  My only advice is to avoid deck 8.  Deck 9 causes a lot of noise!

• Like 1

For OV, my strong preference is Deck 4.   I don't find noise from the Centrum to be a problem, but I would book at least a couple away.  No farther forward than the forward elevators.

And I have had Deck 7 cabins near the Centrum and it's not noisy there.

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed an appreciable increase in size of the cabin between the Oceanview and an inside? We aren’t one of those that appreciate a balcony. We would rather be on the open air decks of the ship and I don’t like the light pollution of the balcony.   So the only reason we would get in Oceanview is for a little larger cabin, but it doesn’t seem much different when I research it. Thanks. 

-Dan

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

We aren’t one of those that appreciate a balcony. We would rather be on the open air decks of the ship and I don’t like the light pollution of the balcony.  

Each to his own! I can't imagine booking any cruise without a balcony. Curious as to what the "light pollution" is you refer to? Definitely the best thing to be out on the open decks, but while in the room I think it's really nice to be able to see what there is to see without always taking the time to go out on the decks (which sometimes are closed due to wind / weather). Also nice to just pop in and out while still in pajamas, etc. early morning or late at night just to catch some fresh air without the hassle of getting dressed to go out on the decks. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On decks 2 and 3, the first few (8 on each side, I believe) oceanview cabins have portholes instead of larger square windows.

My deck plans indicate that insides are a bit smaller than oceanviews.

In either case, we've greatly enjoyed cabins all the way forward and all the way aft a number of times.

Just off Grandeur in cabin 3086.  Would not do this cabin again because of the late night sounds from music (drums) in the Centrum (above).  Loved the same location on deck two, 2086, which is quiet and just slightly off of the elevators which take you straight up to the pool/solarium location.  Also, on deck 4, we have stayed in and are booked again in 4052, which is half-way down the hall between forward and aft elevators.  You will not hear any noise from the Centrum in this location and it is half-way between the theatre and the dining room.  Love being on deck 4 because you can walk straight down the hall to the dining room and the R Bar and all of the Centrum entertainment are just a few steps away.  These are all ocean view cabins, just fyi.  I've not stayed in an inside, even though we really spend very little time in our cabin.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Each to his own! I can't imagine booking any cruise without a balcony. Curious as to what the "light pollution" is you refer to? Definitely the best thing to be out on the open decks, but while in the room I think it's really nice to be able to see what there is to see without always taking the time to go out on the decks (which sometimes are closed due to wind / weather). Also nice to just pop in and out while still in pajamas, etc. early morning or late at night just to catch some fresh air without the hassle of getting dressed to go out on the decks. 

Yeah, we've had balconies and just don't use them much.  The balcony space is small and I'd rather be on a pool deck or walking promenade deck.  I totally understand why people love them, but for us it's a waste of money.

We tend to stay up late each night (midnight+) so we enjoy sleeping in.  The light that bleeds past the curtains impacts that.  I love the pitch black of an inside cabin.  Makes for great afternoon naps also.  We spend very little time in our cabin.  Basically sleeping and getting ready for dinner.

Dan

• Like 1

14 hours ago, alex_drew said:

Just off Grandeur in cabin 3086.  Would not do this cabin again because of the late night sounds from music (drums) in the Centrum (above).  Loved the same location on deck two, 2086, which is quiet and just slightly off of the elevators which take you straight up to the pool/solarium location.  Also, on deck 4, we have stayed in and are booked again in 4052, which is half-way down the hall between forward and aft elevators.  You will not hear any noise from the Centrum in this location and it is half-way between the theatre and the dining room.  Love being on deck 4 because you can walk straight down the hall to the dining room and the R Bar and all of the Centrum entertainment are just a few steps away.  These are all ocean view cabins, just fyi.  I've not stayed in an inside, even though we really spend very little time in our cabin.  

Thank you.  We’ll plan on deck 4.  👍🏼

Dan

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Thank you.  We’ll plan on deck 4.  👍🏼

Dan

I know that I said to take Deck 4 for an OV, but there is one other option.

I love love love love the 16 "Panoramic Oceanview" cabins midship on Decks 7 & 8.  The category is 1M.

Almost one entire wall is windows, because this area used to be public spaces like the Crown & Anchor lounge and Card Room.

The cabin itself is the size of a balcony cabin,  just without the balcony.  And these are the only OV cabins that have the refrigerator (cooler) in them. 🙂 Unfortunately, the bathrooms still have shower curtains not the tubes.   😞 

10 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I love love love love the 16 "Panoramic Oceanview" cabins midship on Decks 7 & 8.  The category is 1M.

Almost one entire wall is windows, because this area used to be public spaces like the Crown & Anchor lounge and Card Room.

The cabin itself is the size of a balcony cabin,  just without the balcony.  And these are the only OV cabins that have the refrigerator (cooler) in them. 🙂 Unfortunately, the bathrooms still have shower curtains not the tubes.   😞 

I'll definitely look into those panoramic OV's.  Thanks!

We have sailed on grandeur 3 or 4 times and always stay on deck 4.  Our first time we were in cabin 4016.  It was okay but like the other person said cabins in 4040 and up are in great position.  Our last cruise we were in 4036 too close to elevator people can see when you open door.   We are booked for march cruise in 4042.  You'll enjoy!

On 11/9/2019 at 6:51 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Been on deck 8 several times - never noticed any noise. 

We normally cruise on her in a Grand Suite, so must be on Deck 8.  We have been starboard side everytime, and just a bit of noise in the morning when they are cleaning and moving tables and chairs around.  It is not enough to wake us up, but you heard it if you are awake.  But not enough to keep me from falling back asleep.

15 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I have one of these cabins for the 11-30 cruise.

22 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I looked into these cabins and all of them on the Grandeur require 3-4 person occupancy.  It's just my wife and I.  Rooms look nice though.

Dan

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

I book them as a solo with no problem.  

Interesting.  They don't show up on the website unless I choose 3 or 4 person rooms.  Also, the Royal Caribbean agent I spoke with said they are reserved for 3 or 4 persons.  I'm not doubting you at all, but how do you reserve them for less than 3 people?  Do you pay double occupancy or triple?

Category 1M.  There are no 2M (dual occupancy) versions on the Grandeur.

Thanks.