New Specialty Uncharges - take pics of menus please!

schildiams

With all this al a carte pricing with ncl how does the UDP work then?   With Royal you can eat at as many places you want in a night.....not that I would or have but I know people who have.   Does ncl cap you out with a value per day or value per meal?  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dominicr said:

With all this al a carte pricing with ncl how does the UDP work then?   With Royal you can eat at as many places you want in a night.....not that I would or have but I know people who have.   Does ncl cap you out with a value per day or value per meal?  

With the specialty dining package at the a la carte restaurants, if you use one of your credits, you get one entree and unlimited sides and desserts with your meal. A few items at Ocean Blue/Bayamo and Cagney's require an additional charge on top of the specialty dining credit. You can see those items listed with a "dining package supplement" charge in the photos posted above.

7 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

With the specialty dining package at the a la carte restaurants, if you use one of your credits, you get one entree and unlimited sides and desserts with your meal. A few items at Ocean Blue/Bayamo and Cagney's require an additional charge on top of the specialty dining credit. You can see those items listed with a "dining package supplement" charge in the photos posted above.

thank you.  Appreciate it.  

42 minutes ago, dominicr said:

Also remember that each time you go to a restaurant, they will scan your card and it will remove one meal.  So, if you have a three-meal SDP, and you go to both Ocean Blue and Moderno on the same day, you will "spend" two meals off your package.  However, I do not believe there would be any problem with doing Moderno, O'Sheehan's and the buffet all on the same night!  :classic_tongue:

• Like 1

Since the upcharge isn't mentioned in the SDP terms and conditions those mentionings in the menu are useless. People just should state them the conditions from SDP (until those are changed to apply the new upcharges).

7 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

What if you have the Loyalty Rewards Platinum Dinner, it states one entree, one main and one dessert.  if I were to pick a steak would I not be able to have a side with it unless I pay $7 extra?

I believe you get one side with your entree.

1 hour ago, ready2cruzagain said:

What if you have the Loyalty Rewards Platinum Dinner, it states one entree, one main and one dessert.  if I were to pick a steak would I not be able to have a side with it unless I pay $7 extra?

At Cagney’s  on Sun with the Platinum voucher, we were told could only have a side if the entree was below the $35 limit.  I’m not sure if it had to be $6 below or some other amount.  So, at Cagney’s you’d be presented a big plate holding just your lonely 8 oz filet with no sauce or sides or garnish at all.

In contrast, if you took your voucher across the lobby to LeBistro, your filet would be perfectly prepared, and presented with potatoes, veggies and sauce, unless otherwise specified.   I’m really not sure what NCL is thinking.  Does anybody pay $6 for a baked potato on a cruise ship?

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

We were just on the Getaway 19 Day Transatlantic Barcelona to New Orleans, October 20 to November 8, 2019. With the NCL  Free Specialty Dining Offer (you pay only for gratuities),  you now get 3 choices of:  only 1 soup, 1 salad, or 1 appetizer ; 1 entrée ;  and 1 dessert. That was what we were told when ordering dinner  in Cagney's, Le Bistro, Ocean Blue, and La Cucina. Also told in Le Bistro,  that a couple of their  entrees were an extra charge, if we chose them. That is the same 3 choices that you have always received with  the 2 Free Platinum Dinners. On the entrees you may get a small side included. Things are changing on NCL Cruises! Our next cruise with NCL is in 4 months, and we chose not to take their 3 Free Specialty Dining  Offer.      

Edited by morrisretired

1 hour ago, morrisretired said:

We were just on the Getaway 19 Day Transatlantic Barcelona to New Orleans, October 20 to November 8, 2019. With the NCL  Free Specialty Dining Offer (you pay only for gratuities),  you now get 3 choices of:  only 1 soup, 1 salad, or 1 appetizer ; 1 entrée ;  and 1 dessert. That was what we were told when ordering dinner  in Cagney's, Le Bistro, Ocean Blue, and La Cucina. Also told in Le Bistro,  that a couple of their  entrees were an extra charge, if we chose them. That is the same 3 choices that you have always received with  the 2 Free Platinum Dinners. On the entrees you may get a small side included. Things are changing on NCL Cruises! Our next cruise with NCL is in 4 months, and we chose not to take their 3 Free Specialty Dining  Offer.      

The "limits" on the dining packages have been around since 2015 even though there were no limits.  Although not in the terms and conditions, the staff at the restaurants have been spouting those "limits" basically as soon as you sit down.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

At Cagney’s  on Sun with the Platinum voucher ... big plate holding just your lonely 8 oz filet with no sauce or sides or garnish at all.

In contrast, if you took your voucher across the lobby to LeBistro, your filet would be perfectly prepared, and presented with potatoes, veggies and sauce ... Does anybody pay $6 for a baked potato on a cruise ship?

Don't worry, be happy - let's see if I remember to bring some Heinz 57 sauce or A1 Steak sauce, sample-sized, single use packets would be perfect ... maybe, in a 3-1-1 travel bottle, LOL 👴 :classic_rolleyes: :classic_laugh: 

Have you dine in LeBistro lately and seen the portion size of those "sides" - super "petite" veggies & potatoes, but drowning in rich, dark sauce ... We are used to dining in LeBistro (10+ years) ... well before the arrival of the mega-sized Epic.  Going to use our P/+ voucher next month on the Gem in Cagney, now having a senior moment, second thoughts about it ... well, let's see.  Mabye, I should book LeBistro ... the other reservation will simply be a cancellation/no-show (half of time, they don't care when we switch around).  

Here's a plan:  (works if/when planning to skip the early show(s) in the main theater ... fine when there's a late/second show)  Dinner part 1 of 2: go to the MDR for starter, soup & salad, extra appetizers as desired, all complimentary, then skip the entrees.  Dinner part 2 of 2: continue to Specialty: order 1 starter (whatever is complimentary, included) and the "included" entrees.  Enjoy coffee/tea & included dessert ... at a leisurely pace, if not in a hurry.   Swipe the other guest's keycard for the MDR and swipe the keycard associated with the dining voucher ... that should spin their "accounting" & tracking system wildly.   This would turn a once "typical" 5-course dinner lasting 90+ to 120 minutes into probably 2.5 or 3 hours, starting early at 5:30 or 6 p.m. - with time to hit the buffet for fruits & free choice of dessert, before they shut it down at 9:30 p.m. & move to their late night scheme.  

I agreed with Dexddd who just posted, staff in the Specialty Dining has been memorizing & spouting those nonsense for years ... yada, yada.  One time, I just told the nice young server, to please stop the lecture & take our order - not waste my time !   NCL corporate simply don't care to realize how annoying these are becoming for frequent cruisers

• Thanks 1

Following.…. Sailing on the Getaway in January, 7 day Western Carib. Have the 3 ni SDP. Not impressed with the new "supplemental charge" for the apps and lobster in Cagney's and Ocean Blue. Not to mention the menus for both are very similar.  

Does anyone have pics of the new menus for La Cucina or Le Bistro?  I already have dining reservations made for this trip, however, I might make some changes. Thanks to all and have a great day.  🙂 

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Don't worry, be happy - let's see if I remember to bring some Heinz 57 sauce or A1 Steak sauce, sample-sized, single use packets would be perfect ... maybe, in a 3-1-1 travel bottle, LOL 👴 :classic_rolleyes: :classic_laugh: 

Hehe, thanks for the laugh.  I do wonder if their sauces are any better than store brands.  I think you might find bottles in the buffet.

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Have you dine in LeBistro lately and seen the portion size of those "sides" - super "petite" veggies & potatoes, but drowning in rich, dark sauce ... We are used to dining in LeBistro (10+ years) ... well before the arrival of the mega-sized Epic. 

Yes, we have dined in LeBistro five times in the past two months.  I order the sauce on the side.  The veggie and potato portions that accompanied the filets were quite respectable.  I love veggies, so I’d had been happy if they put more on my plate though I know most diners do not eat that many.

Going to use our P/+ voucher next month on the Gem in Cagney, now having a senior moment, second thoughts about it ... well, let's see.  Mabye, I should book LeBistro ... the other reservation will simply be a cancellation/no-show (half of time, they don't care when we switch around).  

Here's a plan:  (works if/when planning to skip the early show(s) in the main theater ... fine when there's a late/second show)  Dinner part 1 of 2: go to the MDR for starter, soup & salad, extra appetizers as desired, all complimentary, then skip the entrees.  Dinner part 2 of 2: continue to Specialty: order 1 starter (whatever is complimentary, included) and the "included" entrees.  Enjoy coffee/tea & included dessert ... at a leisurely pace, if not in a hurry.   Swipe the other guest's keycard for the MDR and swipe the keycard associated with the dining voucher ... that should spin their "accounting" & tracking system wildly.   This would turn a once "typical" 5-course dinner lasting 90+ to 120 minutes into probably 2.5 or 3 hours, starting early at 5:30 or 6 p.m. - with time to hit the buffet for fruits & free choice of dessert, before they shut it down at 9:30 p.m. & move to their late night scheme.  

I agreed with Dexddd who just posted, staff in the Specialty Dining has been memorizing & spouting those nonsense for years ... yada, yada.  One time, I just told the nice young server, to please stop the lecture & take our order - not waste my time !   NCL corporate simply don't care to realize how annoying these are becoming for frequent cruisers

See replies above

25 minutes ago, kdmbluerzr said:

Following.…. Sailing on the Getaway in January, 7 day Western Carib. Have the 3 ni SDP. Not impressed with the new "supplemental charge" for the apps and lobster in Cagney's and Ocean Blue. Not to mention the menus for both are very similar.  

Does anyone have pics of the new menus for La Cucina or Le Bistro?  I already have dining reservations made for this trip, however, I might make some changes. Thanks to all and have a great day.  🙂 

At least on Sun last week, there were no surcharge appetizers in either La Cucina or La Bistro.  Those menus appeared unchanged to me.  Entrees over $35 could be charged the difference.

Edited by Starry Eyes

Had a Platinum free meal in Cagneys, we didnt have starters, wife had 2 sides and I had one. We only had one desert.

I had Porterhouse for $37,  got charged $2+grats for the excess over $35. 

Not sure if 2nd side was allowed due to no starters and only 1 desert. A bit amused at the $2.40 for going over on the porterhouse given lack of starters and side but not concerned, it was a great porterhouse!

Screenshot_20191119-145236_Gallery.jpg