Majestic Princess Theatre capacity

subaru94

5 hours ago, subaru94 said:

Im just wondering if anyone can tell me how many people does the Princess Theatre cater for on the Majestic Princess please?

It will be the same as Royal/Regal if anyone knows that.  Is this just a trivia question as not sure why it matters?

Google is always your best friend for these sort of questions.  I find that one source indicates the Royal seats 1,000 and the Regal 925.  Likely the first number was an estimate (Royal was the first in its class).  Somewhere between the two lies the truth.

For both ships, the same MDR capacity numbers were given (600, 600, & 618).

• Like 2

We had friends who just came off the Caribbean Princess and said you had to get to the theatre a good 1 hour beforehand as the theatre filled up quickly was not big enough for number of people on ship, and I just wondered if the same applied to the Majestic which looks like it does, I am not sure why Princess are making the theatres so small when the ships carry over 3,500 passengers and the theatre only caters for 900 roughly.  We love going to the shows, however, getting there an hour early to see seems a bit overkill?

• Like 2

It is no secret that Princess designs their ships with a main theater with insufficient seats for the capacity of their ships.  The norm on Princess seems to be theaters that have a capacity of 25-30% of the number of passengers aboard.  On many of our Princess cruises there have only been two evening shows which meant that nearly half the passengers could not get into the show.  On our August CB cruise folks would go to the theater 45-60 min prior to the show in order to get seats, but the Cruise Director refused to schedule a 3rd show for several of the productions (he said it was too difficult for the cast).  They actually simulcasted (in Explorers) some of the Guest Entertainers which sometimes had folks standing to watch a show on the screen. But last week we returned from the Emerald where the CD had the good sense to schedule 3 shows for just about everything...which did help alleviate the seating problem.

I would just add that on the Regal we did not find the theater seats too narrow.  But then again, some of the passengers were so "wide" they did seem to have some issues.  Perhaps they need to design the theaters with a special "wide seat" section :).

Hank

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I would just add that on the Regal we did not find the theater seats too narrow.  But then again, some of the passengers were so "wide" they did seem to have some issues.  Perhaps they need to design the theaters with a special "wide seat" section :).

What's next, signs indicating they're reserved for extra wide people? 😁

Most of  the major cruise lines show rooms especially on the mega ships do not have sufficient space.  Some of them now require you to make reservations way before you sail.  I personally would rather decide that day if I want to go to a show and show up early than make reservations months in advance.

• Like 1

I have sailed on both the Regal and the Majestic. I think the Regal was larger. On the Majestic, if you did not arrive to the theater more than 30 minutes before the show, you had trouble finding a seat. Plus, most shows began at 7:15, which made trying to have dinner before the show very rushed. 

5 hours ago, franktown said:

Most of  the major cruise lines show rooms especially on the mega ships do not have sufficient space.  Some of them now require you to make reservations way before you sail.  I personally would rather decide that day if I want to go to a show and show up early than make reservations months in advance.

They do not require you to reserve in advance. Just like shore excursions, spa services, etc., you can book ahead or wait until on board.

However, booking in advance does not save you from the hour wait mentioned above for Princess shows. The booking is not for a specific seat, so people line up early to get their choice of seats. And then there is a separate waiting line for those who did not pre-book.

• 3 months later...
On 11/25/2019 at 9:17 AM, phabric said:

The Sky holds 1,000 seats.

Would you share where you found that information. We just left the Sky and had to get there one hour ahead. and the CD was trying to give away seats if you left to go to the rest room.

On 11/25/2019 at 5:54 PM, franktown said:

One of the many reasons that I will not cruise on a large ship.  I refuse to make reservations for any venue on a ship months before I cruise.

DON

5 hours ago, ustowas said:

Would you share where you found that information. We just left the Sky and had to get there one hour ahead. and the CD was trying to give away seats if you left to go to the rest room.

I ask a Guest Service staff member how many the theater held.

Edited by phabric

At least on the Majestic Princess, production shows were often performed again the next day (if a sea day) in the afternoon, in a matinee performance. But, yes, there simply aren’t enough seats in the Princess Theater on any of the Princess ships we’ve been on (which is most of them) except for the Pacific Princess. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 3/5/2020 at 4:29 PM, ustowas said:

Even if your partner was sitting there holding your seat?

41 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

No reservations are taken for the Princess theater. 

Thanks. So, especially  for the production shows for my 7/9/22 Majestic Princess AK cruise, we rea need to get  in Line early. But, we want  to try & make dinner reservations  now not knowing what time the evening show(s) are. Might  they have 2 shows like we've had on some  RC ships. I even checked  with Medallion App support & they don't  post that on app.

When I started cruising (way back when), there were three production shows.  Then Princess decided to cut back to two AND make them shorter (30-45 minutes).  In general, the later show is less crowded, but not necessarily easier to get a seat at the last minute.  I have been in the theater when people walk in just in time for the last few songs (go figure).  They rudely climb over you to get to a seat.

I like the idea of an third afternoon matinee on a sea day.  I would like to see Princess return to three production shows a night.

It also used to be that the guest entertainer would have another show (sometimes different) in the aft lounge on ships that have them.

Entertainment on Princess used to be top notch performers.  In my opinion, this has been greatly diminished.  I'm old school.  I see that the glory days of cruising are now a thing of the past.  Your views may be different and I will respect you for not negating mine.