Is Veranda Plus worth it?

Frostecat

Is it worth the extra cost to book a Veranda Plus?  They said we could have a room with a larger balcony in the aft (not exactly sure I want that after reading reviews about soot), and some internet minutes, but I'm not sure that I see the value in it?  Thoughts?

My own view unless you use your balcony a lot, no. There’s plenty of quiet space to lie out all around the ship. The rooms can be more prone to movement given their position on the ship. It’s hard to know what’s right for you though. 

I think part of the answer depends upon what LCV level you are as you what you get "free" and how much value you place on those perks. The Specialties deal is $60 for the week cruise rising to $120 if you do a minimum 2 weeks. The bar set up is nothing special and space in the cabin limited anyway. Most of all, the P2 and P3s located on deck 8 under the public deck are the worst on the ship in my view. Better to be on deck 6 or 7.  The cabin size is exactly the same as other veranda cabins. 

Personally I wouldn't pay extra for one. 

Phil 

• Like 2

I wouldn't pay extra for one.  I don't like the location, and usually what you get in terms of extras you can purchase separately for a lot less money.  I think you'll find here no one thinks they're worth it.

I was also wondering this very question. I’m not sure I’m clear on the internet usage plans as I’m having some trouble finding information on their website. How much is unlimited WiFi and can you apply the allowance toward that?

I really like the verandas on the stern but don't care for any of the other "plus" add-ons.  Soot has never been an issue nor has movement.  Noise from above on deck 8 has only been an issue on Pursuit because of the different chair legs on the Windows outside area.  Won't pay the "plus" prices, however.

• Like 1

Veranda plus isn’t worth much for me. Same size cabin as regular veranda. Having been on deck 8, I prefer deck 7. It is quieter. . Not a big deal having some liquor in the cabin when you can get it complimentary at any bar or dining venue.  As a discoverer plus, I already get 120 WiFi minutes and a bag of laundry. That doesn’t double if you are in veranda plus. Do the math.  There are some people who book more expensive cabins expecting it to be better. Azamara is ok without paying more for a plus cabin. 

• Like 1

We used to like the cabins on deck 7 forward. The cabins are no bigger than verandas, the balcony is not really that much bigger. The only good thing that we like is that you get a good view. They can be noisy when tendering and you do get a lot more movement. This is just another money grab by Azamara, they’re really not giving you anything much. 

We are about to take our third trip in one of the aft cabins. Yes, sometimes (not always) you get soot on the chairs. Easily dealt with by towels, wiping them or wearing bathrobes. The balconies are very private and feel more spacious, and great for room-service breakfasts (and if the ship is heading in the right direction, sunrises or sunsets) . We have also booked the fourth trip, same cabin, for next summer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lazy Sailor said:

We are about to take our third trip in one of the aft cabins. Yes, sometimes (not always) you get soot on the chairs. Easily dealt with by towels, wiping them or wearing bathrobes. The balconies are very private and feel more spacious, and great for room-service breakfasts (and if the ship is heading in the right direction, sunrises or sunsets) . We have also booked the fourth trip, same cabin, for next summer.

Thank you, LazySailor, for your loyalty. We very much appreciate it. ❤️

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely not worth it. We booked inside room for a 14 nite circumnav of Japan this past August. The Hotel Director very, very graciously upgraded us to a Veranda Plus up front. The inside room was super cozy, and dark, and perfectly acceptable. Most of our cruising has been done with basic verandas. The Veranda Plus is a tad larger, with a lot of completely unusable space. We were up front (between the two super duper suites...) and got to know the guys who moved the cables and mooring ropes. Lots of AM banging. Having the window was wonderful, but I would never book a Plus room because of the noise factor. Phillip was an angel, and certainly has made a customer for life. If offered a complementary upgrade again, I would probably take it, if only to say thank you. But I wouldn't go out of my way to snag one.

3 hours ago, Dr H said:

Absolutely not worth it. We booked inside room for a 14 nite circumnav of Japan this past August. The Hotel Director very, very graciously upgraded us to a Veranda Plus up front. The inside room was super cozy, and dark, and perfectly acceptable. Most of our cruising has been done with basic verandas. The Veranda Plus is a tad larger, with a lot of completely unusable space. We were up front (between the two super duper suites...) and got to know the guys who moved the cables and mooring ropes. Lots of AM banging. Having the window was wonderful, but I would never book a Plus room because of the noise factor. Phillip was an angel, and certainly has made a customer for life. If offered a complementary upgrade again, I would probably take it, if only to say thank you. But I wouldn't go out of my way to snag one.

Ok....I have to ask......how were you notified of your complimentary cabin upgrade ?  I am assuming it was after you boarded?  That was certainly nice!

Phillip came up to us, advised us that he had a room with a window, if we were interested. I figured a porthole/ocean view. We thanked him profusely, and then he informed us of the room number, to see if we were really interested in transferring from our inside cabin. Yep, we were really interested. My wife and I seem to have developed a certain notoriety on Azamara. Sandie usually sails with a sewing machine. Hard to forget that one. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to provide emergency medical care to passengers off the ship while on tours. Word gets around, I guess. The dinning room staff, especially upstairs knows us by now - we, or at least she - are constantly asking the chef how he did this or that. Sandie is probably responsible for sewing get togethers. And it's a very small line, in the end, with a very small staff. They get to know you. It was a very kind gesture on his part, unexpected and unrequested, and we enjoyed every minute of the AM clanging and banging.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

So, did you have a complaint about your inside cabin or did you pay to upgrade it?  The Hotel Director won’t just take time out of his day to upgrade you for no reason. Call me confused. 

Phil

Suspect also this is an old story pre Plusgrade.