Huge Problems / possible Epic issue at Cruise port in SanJuan??

beachdiamonds

We were on this sailing and know there was at least one death and we did hear 2-3.  As one previous poster mentioned we were late leaving St. Thomas due to some repairs being made and communication on the issue was non-existent. We did stay up.for sail away around Midnight. Never really knew the exact reason for this morning’s delay but felt bad for those waiting embarkation.  Like the precious poster we will never sail on the Epic again and that sentiment was voiced by many on the ship. We probably will never sail NCL again. Fortunately the ports were fantastic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lhsail said:

We were on this sailing and know there was at least one death and we did hear 2-3.  As one previous poster mentioned we were late leaving St. Thomas due to some repairs being made and communication on the issue was non-existent. We did stay up.for sail away around Midnight. Never really knew the exact reason for this morning’s delay but felt bad for those waiting embarkation.  Like the precious poster we will never sail on the Epic again and that sentiment was voiced by many on the ship. We probably will never sail NCL again. Fortunately the ports were fantastic. 

I'm curious about what else happened during the sailing that has people saying they will never sail Epic again? Because of the 1 - 3 unexpected deaths? The unknown mechanical issue that delayed departure from St. Thomas late at night? Or, the delay in San Juan? Sounds like most issues were at the end of the sailing so I'm wondering why the sentiment about not sailing on the ship again? Have there been reports of ongoing mechanical issues with the Epic or is this a new issue? 

Edited by blueslily

• Host Kat changed the title to Huge Problems / possible Epic issue at Cruise port in SanJuan??
2 hours ago, nmarek said:

Just got off the TA on Epic today. It took us 2.5 hours to board in Barcelona and some folks were over 5 hours. Not a great ship with many issues. We all cleared  customs at last port, St. Thomas before arriving in San Juan. We left the dock in St. Thomas late Saturday night and backed up and then we returned to dock? We apparently left at 1:00 am or 7 hours late??? We went to bed about 11:00 pm so not sure what the issue was.  There was a crane working on the ship. On the cruise they were constantly wiping doors and railings as we were told previous cruise was sick, given notice. Probably deaths as it is more common than people know, elderly. Will never cruise Epic again. 

What was the cause of the delay boarding in Barcelona? 

We just got off the TA in San Juan. It took us 4 hours to get off the ship and then another 2 to get a taxi. In Barcelona, we waited on line for 3 hours to get onboard.

it was a great cruise except so many people got sick with coughing and congestion. The gift shop had no otc cold medicine, like NyQuil and going to the doctor was really, really expensive. One guy spent $5500, another was $2100, and one man said he was charged TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!

I will never sail the Epic again. A big ship requires big logistics and this one doesn’t have it together.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, blueslily said:

I'm curious about what else happened during the sailing that has people saying they will never sail Epic again? Because of the 1 - 3 unexpected deaths? The unknown mechanical issue that delayed departure from St. Thomas late at night? Or, the delay in San Juan? Sounds like most issues were at the end of the sailing so I'm wondering why the sentiment about not sailing on the ship again? Have there been reports of ongoing mechanical issues with the Epic or is this a new issue? 

There were many issues. One of the main dining rooms started turning people away at 8:30 the second night because they were “full” then the pagers didn’t work for the other dining room so we waited until almost 10:00 to get dinner.  Food in the dining room that  was inedible, then good luck finding your waiter to do anything about it. Hardly any wines available as part of the package and then they ran out of some.  Buffet totally lacking in imagination and variety. Terrible service in O’Sheehans.  The ship was crowded, crowded, crowded. Did I mention the ship was crowded. 

The prior cruise had some Noro issues and the ship had been sanitized. Public restrooms had broken soap dispensers, dispensers without soap and cold water coming out of the faucets. Experienced this more than once at the restroom by the dining room, quit using it. 

Communication was non-existent to poor. We received disembarkation information in our cabin after dinner the last night. We’re experienced cruisers so knew to check with guest services a few days prior and pretty much know the drill, but if you were a new cruiser or new to NCL you would have been lost. The only communication about the late departure the last night was an announcement around 6:00 that they were finishing up a maintenance issue. We left at Midnight. 

Since disembarkation was delayed they wanted to get everyone off the ship ASAP. That just resulted in backup and lines so you couldn’t get anywhere anyway. We were fortunate to get a taxi fairly quickly, but others were not so lucky. 

I’m sure I’ve missed some things (like ventilation so bad in the fitness center it’s a wonder someone didn’t pass out). There was also a feeing that the staff and crew really didn’t care. If you brought anything to someone’s attention you either got disinterest or you got placated. I know these are all first world problems, but it all added up to a very bad experience. We’ll be taking our cruising dollars elsewhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Some ships just can't seem to catch a break!  

The ship has it’s quirks. We’ve been on it before and were willing to deal. Most of our frustrations came from things totally within their control. The things outside of their control, I just ask they keep people informed as much as possible. I’m done. I’ll take my money elsewhere and I’m convinced NCL could care less. 

• Like 1

Barcelona was an awful  embarkation.  My understanding of the S Juan disembark was the ship lifeboats did not allow  for the walkways to be positioned on the ship.   The ship was not at the port wall, pontoons  separated it from the land, So all luggage was taken off first, then when there was no forklift traffic passengers were d`barked, via deck 4 not 6 .The ship new this was going to happen as they informed the crew a few days in advance. 

I don't like the ship way to big,  poor design all over the place.

Food  in speciality restaurants was very good, the rest was average.  Service, entertainment  and ports very good. Will never sail on a mega ship ever again. 

Re the deaths we heard one death , code fox at 6 am and one stroke in the atrium  one evening

Edited by simonaitch
  • Like 1

We got off the Epic TA yesterday, and agree with the others on that cruise.  Embarkation & disembarkation was a nightmare and I blame NCL.  This big ship requires good planning & logistics to empty and fill the ship, and this was a big fail for NCL.  If the San Juan port could not handle the numbers, they never should have used it.  We enjoyed our time with friends, but the cruise was bookended by incompetence and really bad planning.  I think I am done with Epic as well.  They need to stick to Miami where they can better manage things.

In Barcelona, we got in early while others waited in outdoor lines for hours.  When we finally did get our cards, there was only ONE working machine printing cards.  Long line of reps holding passports waiting in line for that one machine.  The Star was also boarding right next door, and they had insufficient staff and for sure equipment to handle Epic.  It was ridiculous.  Not a good start.

In San Juan, the port they used was incapable of handling the size of the ship.  They claimed CBP kept us on hold for hours because of crowds in the luggage area and CBP inspection.  We ended up trapped like sardines on Deck 4 after they said we could finally debark, but we were all squeezed in there with no.movement off board for an hour,  and they kept announcing that more groups could also debark, despite not one step forward!  No one could move an inch.  No staff there, so they claim they did not know!  One lady in front of me was nearly passing out.  it was the worst experience Ever.  Never been so happy to get off a ship, then because of the location of the port, the taxis were a free for all when one did appear.  It was disorganized chaos, and I truly felt for the people heading to port thinking they would quickly board.  The ship was full of past passengers.

If you experienced yesterday either trying to get off or on, it is understandable that you prefer to never sail Epic again, and possibly NCL.  

• Like 1

Just home from this cruise ... BArcelona was caused by the Port Authority deciding every Non EU passenger would have to be passport checked out as it was a TA -  never happened in Barcelona before on any TA  - the irony being they could have solved the issue by simply splitting the Q into Europeans and non before entering  the building as we (as EU) ended up getting into the building and being directed to 30 empty desks and waved through pasport control...

San Juan was caused by the berth assigned to the epic being totally unsuitable for the Epic with its  overhanging stickyout  lifeboats - as it has no proper promenade and overhead lifeboat extenders as usual.

This meant pontoons had to be floated between the hull and the deck and then platforms placed to get the baggage trolleys in pairs rather than the usual continuous roll off .. It took till 10am to even get the baggage into the hall..

Once that was done we walked  off smoothly at 10.30 (not even a q so we must have been lucky) however according to staff the decision had already been made to overnight the Epic and cancel the first day of the next cruise as the problem would happen in reverse once embarkation began..

Heard of NO deaths -- There was NO gastro -- It was a fantastic TA.. Just sloppy EMB and DISEMB - TBF I dont think anyone whose been on the EPIC would choose ger again as she has far to many major faults in design.  Almost everyone we talked to said the same thing but this itinaerary was to good to miss and a lot of the Usual EPIC crowd problems were solved due to the simply wonderful weather we got for the crossing. It is though a terribly designed ship - I would put her on the retirment list before any other in the fleet.

The funny thing is on day 1 Hotel Manager Nelson had already stated in the theatre that San Juan was going to be a problem and he joked he couldnt see NCL and the EPIC actually staying there as a base port.

Edited by ighten

3 hours ago, lhsail said:

The ship has it’s quirks. We’ve been on it before and were willing to deal. Most of our frustrations came from things totally within their control. The things outside of their control, I just ask they keep people informed as much as possible. I’m done. I’ll take my money elsewhere and I’m convinced NCL could care less. 

Part of the problem is that NCL keeps cutting back on staffing, food quality etc...in the meantime they keep adding/raising charges for everything to pad their profits even more. I mean...heck...the NCL CEO made as much as the Royal and Carnival CEO made combined! They've just become a money hungry company. Everyone is in it to make money but other cruise lines have a balance with how much they cut versus what they make in profits. NCL has the biggest margins not because people pay more but because they've cut expenses so much and now passengers are feeling it. It's quite a shame. NCL is becoming the Spirit of cruising.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ighten said:

Just home from this cruise ... BArcelona was caused by the Port Authority deciding every Non EU passenger would have to be passport checked out as it was a TA -  never happened in Barcelona before on any TA  - the irony being they could have solved the issue by simply splitting the Q into Europeans and non before entering  the building as we (as EU) ended up getting into the building and being directed to 30 empty desks and waved through pasport control...

San Juan was caused by the berth assigned to the epic being totally unsuitable for the Epic with its  overhanging stickyout  lifeboats - as it has no proper promenade and overhead lifeboat extenders as usual.

This meant pontoons had to be floated between the hull and the deck and then platforms placed to get the baggage trolleys in pairs rather than the usual continuous roll off .. It took till 10am to even get the baggage into the hall..

Once that was done we walked  off smoothly at 10.30 (not even a q so we must have been lucky) however according to staff the decision had already been made to overnight the Epic and cancel the first day of the next cruise as the problem would happen in reverse once embarkation began..

Heard of NO deaths -- There was NO gastro -- It was a fantastic TA.. Just sloppy EMB and DISEMB - TBF I dont think anyone whose been on the EPIC would choose ger again as she has far to many major faults in design.  Almost everyone we talked to said the same thing but this itinaerary was to good to miss and a lot of the Usual EPIC crowd problems were solved due to the simply wonderful weather we got for the crossing. It is though a terribly designed ship - I would put her on the retirment list before any other in the fleet.

The funny thing is on day 1 Hotel Manager Nelson had already stated in the theatre that San Juan was going to be a problem and he joked he couldnt see NCL and the EPIC actually staying there as a base port.

Sounds like you were able to avoid the illness on board, but not sure how you could miss hearing the large # of very sick and coughing throughout the cruise. I traveled w/ 3 others, ALL 3 got sick.  I was the only one to avoid. When we boarded in Barcelona, the early embarkees received a notice from NCL that was mandatory under CDC rule (Center for Disease Control) and as required by law when crew illness is reported above a certain percentage.  Unfortunately, they don't have to disclose the percentage, but crew indicated over 40%.  It was not gastro, but was a nasty flu.  And yes, the CDC did hold the ship up in Barcelona and Puerto Rico.  In Barcelona, they made NCL fumigate before allowing embarkation. In PR, they took sample temperatures of first off and were there in protective suits.  As to deaths, a news reporter covering the dock fiasco indicated 5 deaths.  We watched 7 ambulances come and go.  NCL was completely dishonest about the number of sick onboard.  They even tried to claim the notice was from prior cruise until we produced our copy.  Then they claimed it was due to prior cruise illness and that there was no issue on our TA. And it appears they stopped handing it out when the ran out of copies. Only early embarkees got a copy.  Sundry shop extremely lacking for OTC meds.  Even the little NCL Spirit was better stocked. My wife was laid up for 5 days and still has serious cough.  Has Dr's appt this afternoon.  And once they did release passengers in PR and the backup started, NCL staff were no where to be found.  We paid for transfer and there were 2 local young men handling w/o a bit of help from NCL.  I'm on my 8th NCL cruise, and they almost lost me on this one (TBD).  NEVER again on the EPIC, not just because of the illness, but the ship is not built to handle 4000 plus effectively. I never thought I would see the day where I would complain about the luxury and privilege of cruising, but the above complaints are only the tip of the Epic iceberg for my family. One redeeming quality, the loung and bar staff were great, and Burn the Floor and Cirque were great shows. Howl at the Moon guys were great too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

Seems like a lot of complaints are not about the ship but about the process.  It's like saying I'll never drive a Ford again because of highway traffic.

No, the ship is lacking too.  Many poor design features and not capable of handling 4000 plus passengers without ensuing chaos.  First time ever I have complained about a cruise, and this was #25.  Perhaps w/ 75% occ, this ship would be ok, but not a full capacity.  Think more Ford Probe or Pinto than a generic Ford.  There are good reasons this was a one-off design and then NCL moved on.

2 minutes ago, Crusin GTR said:

No, the ship is lacking too.  Many poor design features and not capable of handling 4000 plus passengers without ensuing chaos.  First time ever I have complained about a cruise, and this was #25.  Perhaps w/ 75% occ, this ship would be ok, but not a full capacity.  Think more Ford Probe or Pinto than a generic Ford.  There are good reasons this was a one-off design and then NCL moved on.

I've been on it twice, no issues.  As I'm sure there have been others on it that also had no issues.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

I've been on it twice, no issues.  As I'm sure there have been others on it that also had no issues.

I'm sure it's like any other taste or experience that varies individually.  But if you have had much variety, I'd be shocked if you didn't experience the ship's limitations. 

I enjoyed my Epic cruise in 2016, but those days seem to be over. Many of the onboard issues described here are a lot like the issues on the Getaway TA in April. I'm seeing a pattern here which is not a good sign. I LOVED my Breakaway TA in 2018 and the two cruises could not have been more different. They can only cut the staff, food and services budgets to a certain point before the cutbacks are a detriment to booking again. The higher prices are not justified by the quality provided in many cases. The inconsistency is the breaking point when considering another cruise. If I have to wonder  "Which NCL will I get next time?" that is a problem.

4 minutes ago, Zippeedee said:

I enjoyed my Epic cruise in 2016, but those days seem to be over. Many of the onboard issues described here are a lot like the issues on the Getaway TA in April. I'm seeing a pattern here which is not a good sign. I LOVED my Breakaway TA in 2018 and the two cruises could not have been more different. They can only cut the staff, food and services budgets to a certain point before the cutbacks are a detriment to booking again. The higher prices are not justified by the quality provided in many cases. The inconsistency is the breaking point when considering another cruise. If I have to wonder  "Which NCL will I get next time?" that is a problem.

Agreed! I'm hoping this was an Epic-only issue, but it does seem they are cutting food corners and staffing corners.  Had 2 bartenders from our Jade cruise on this Epic TA. They missed the Jade, and dislike the Epic, so this does point to at least some blame being the ship, or the ship's leadership. 

22 minutes ago, Crusin GTR said:

I'm sure it's like any other taste or experience that varies individually.  But if you have had much variety, I'd be shocked if you didn't experience the ship's limitations. 

Epic is not the only NCL ship I have been on nor is NCL the only line I have sailed with.  I still have yet to see an issue posted in the thread that is an issue that only the Epic has experienced. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ighten said:

I believe this is the first time Epic is embark/debark from San Juan. I'm not surprised that there were issues with the first disembark at a port for a ship. Wonder if they'll move berths or figure it out or if this is going to be an on-going occurrence. Epic is slated to be there next winter as well. 

I sailed the Epic on a 7 night Mediterranean this past May with my husband and son.  Absolutely no problems whatsoever.  Embarkation and disembarkation was always efficient, timely, and easy.  It was a wonderful cruise!  Food, drinks, entertainment, and service was all very good.  We had an aft verandah, and the aft elevators were less busy than the forward elevators.  We also like to take the stairs for exercise.  My only complaint was there was long black hair on the shower wall - all week - yuck,  (I left it there to see if it would get cleaned off, and nope, it didn't), and the carpet in our cabin was stained and worn.  Also sailed the Epic on a Christmas cruise a couple years ago. It seemed busier/more full, probably due to families of 3 or 4 in many of the cabins instead of 2 people.  That also was a great  cruise!  There were 13 of us in 4 cabins, and we all had a lovely time, and everyone stated afterwards they would definitely sail the Epic again.  You can't blame "the ship" for all of these problems endured on this sailing.  Many of the issues were out of the ship's control.  NCL should have communicated the issues to the passengers that were on the ship, and to the passengers waiting to board the ship-there are alot of things they could have done instead of leaving everyone in dark.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The article cites a mechanical problem (not deaths). The Epic has had problems in San Juan with winds and currents. Even with two tugs, bow thrusters and stern thrusters, the Epic took out part of the dock in San Juan earlier this year. 

Different dock in San Juan.

The shore staff at San Juan are not the brightest, we flew in to Miami then on to SJ. However the girl at checking insisted on seeing our ESTA documents, they don’t exist. Fortunately I had photoshopped the applications.