Huge Problems / possible Epic issue at Cruise port in SanJuan??

beachdiamonds

We are currently in horrific horrific standstill traffic trying to get into the port.  Many people have walked off the ships dragging bags. Our taxi guy is saying heard there were deaths on one of the ships,,, 5 people he heard. Now we are seeing news cameras and ambulances.   Still stuck and not sure what’s happening.  Has anyone heard anything?  We are still stuck In gridlock and returning cruisers cant get taxis and are dragging luggage down the long road.  Praying for  any impacted people if they have in fact died. 

Edited by beachdiamonds

The Carnival port doesn’t appear to be affected as they are a different one. 

Ive sailed numerous times out of both RCL and Carnivals terminals and never seen anything like this.  Hoping the deaths aren’t true but something is happening 

Edited by beachdiamonds
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bilyclub said:

Nothing posted on the NCL board.  

Nor is there anything on any of the major network news channels or the internet at this time regarding this.

Here is the link to the roll call for today's Epic departure.  Looking at the last few pages, there is a lot of confusing information with nothing seeming to be of certainty regarding what is happening:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2554819-norwegian-epic-december-8-2019/page/16/

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

We just got on the Norwegian Epic for the December 8 sailing out of San Juan. Embarkation has been horrible. It’s 5:30 here and it’s a 3 hour wait to get on board. They supposedly didn’t let the last cruise passengers off until 1pm today. There were Hazmat trucks here when we arrived. It took 2 hours to get from hotel which was 6 miles away and taxi driver said he had never seen anything like this. We heard the reason was that there were 9 passenger deaths on the last cruise which was Transatlantic. And heard there was Norivirus on that cruise with 80 passengers getting sick. I feel horrible if that is all true. Not complaining just looking to see if anyone can confirm. 

Picture is of the line of all still waiting to board.

B938CD61-3814-4400-A40A-260BA43E09F4.jpeg

I found this:

"A mechanical damage to an Epic cruise ship, from Norwegian Cruise, caused the landing process to take two hours at the San Juan dock, the Port Authority confirmed on its Twitter account on Sunday.

This cruise, with a route that goes from the Caribbean to Europe, has been surrounded by comments about multiple incidents on board. However, the agency denied that today's delay was due to an outbreak of a disease as discussed and said the Coast Guard will not close the San Juan Bay.

Only two Epic passengers were taken to the hospital for Emergency Management due to gastrointestinal problems ," he wrote in the tweet."

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=https://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/locales/nota/accidentadodesembarcodepasajerosdeuncruceroensanjuan-2533941/&prev=search

Nine deaths would have made national news so I don't think that's the case.  When we boarded Epic after a TA the same exact thing happened with our embarkation...although it was in Port Canaveral.  It took hours and they didn't let passengers off until late.  Had something to do with customs and some sort of ship inspection.  What I learned is that I will never book a cruise that is immediately following a TA.  Once we embarked, the cruise was great!  Hope you have a nice time!

• Like 1

Pretty sure if there were nine deaths on the last cruise it would have made the news.   I think it might have been prudent to take a few seconds to look online or ask one of the crew since you are actually on board the ship.

Hope you have a great cruise regardless.  The Epic is a great ship.

Edited by ColeThornton

Is such a potential situation as this not a good reason to book a cruise line transfer from hotel/airport to the ship?  Let the cruise line deal with the issues.  They will find a way to get their guests to the ship before sailing.

And, if they don't, as I learned on my Nieuw Amsterdam cruise a few years ago when there was that shooting incident at FLL, the NA guests that could not make the ship were transported to our first port of call.

6 hours ago, beachdiamonds said:

Police just confirmed the deaths

A police officer spoke to our taxi driver while we were in the vehicle and indicated as such.  I hope it was wrong information for sure in this case. It was crazy today and gridlock doesn’t begin to describe it. 

Just got off the TA on Epic today. It took us 2.5 hours to board in Barcelona and some folks were over 5 hours. Not a great ship with many issues. We all cleared  customs at last port, St. Thomas before arriving in San Juan. We left the dock in St. Thomas late Saturday night and backed up and then we returned to dock? We apparently left at 1:00 am or 7 hours late??? We went to bed about 11:00 pm so not sure what the issue was.  There was a crane working on the ship. On the cruise they were constantly wiping doors and railings as we were told previous cruise was sick, given notice. Probably deaths as it is more common than people know, elderly. Will never cruise Epic again. 

• Like 1

Facts of life - death is part of that passage, inevitable - final stage/step.  Folks live and expire daily, sometimes - while away from their home or normal place of stay, including while in-flight and on a cruise ship.  Sad but true, sometimes of natural causes.  Other times, due to pre-existing chronic medical conditions and/or acute onset, unexpected events.  Then, there are unnatural causes, trauma and accidents, and/or from unplanned encounters (victims of crime).  T/A crossing typically has a different, older demographics and longer duration at sea - thus, their final & eternal disembarkation can be expected to take longer due to regulatory requirements by governing, local authorities.  

I don't necessary see it as news worthy, unless the probable & likely causes of death are deemed suspicious and forensic exams pending.  Hazmat response can be called in for a variety of reasons, not necessary for a clean-up ... like those that occuring at health care facilities, prescribed protocol are in place and carried out as indicated.  Last but not least, HIPAA and common sense guidelines governed what info is disseminated to the "public" out of respect for privacy wishes.  It can be upsetting for those personally involved and/or witnessing it, and keeping it low key and discrete can be helpful toward closure & healing for the loss of loved ones.

Imagine if you or your loved one is ... Go to social media for a breaking news announcement and call the news desks to go live ?  I think not.  

My two cents, of course.  Feel free to disagree.  RIP for those that departed on their final sailing in life. 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 3