Galveston Terminal # 3

ssb

2 minutes ago, ssb said:

The drive in cruisers  will be supplying for four Carnival full time ships and two full Royal and Disney with long term contracts . Norwegian wants in badly . Hobby airport is forty miles away . Many cruisers are staying near airports. 

Be careful what you wish for. 

We are getting another mega terminal for Carnival's new 6,000 passenger ship, more Disney ships, three new hotels, etc, etc, etc.

Oh, and we may get a high speed train stop on the route from Orlando to Miami

Traffic is already unbearable some days

Distance from Hobby to Galveston sounds about the same from Orlando to Port Canaveral.  The problem is to find affordable transportation.  At least in Orlando you can use Go Port Canaveral for both hotel and transportation.  Not sure what to use in March when we fly to Houston.  Not sure if it is a good thing to be in the minority (flying, not driving) or not.

1 hour ago, lovescats5 said:

Distance from Hobby to Galveston sounds about the same from. Orlando to Port Canaveral.  The problem is to find affordable transportation.  At least in Orlando you can use Go Port Canaveral for both hotel and transportation.  Not sure what to .in March when we fly to Houston.  Not sure if it is a good thing to be in the minority (flying, not driving) or not.

Our lessons and experience has been when flying into IAH, it is better to stay the night before in Houston then take a now available Uber to port early the next morning.  We have had horrible experiences going right to Galveston the night before then trying to get a cab or Uber to port the next morning.   Driving is not a problems to stay in Galveston, except most of the closer to port better hotels require a 2 night stay and we are only looking for one night.  That is not to say if you have never been to Galveston and are driving you should definitely consider 2 nights there

3 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Because it is a horrible port for those who have to fly

It is not right next to the port , but really not that bad, have been out of Galveston 5 time in the last 8-10 years and it gets better each time I go, but maybe it is because i know more each time

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

Distance from Hobby to Galveston sounds about the same from Orlando to Port Canaveral.  The problem is to find affordable transportation.  At least in Orlando you can use Go Port Canaveral for both hotel and transportation.  Not sure what to use in March when we fly to Houston.  Not sure if it is a good thing to be in the minority (flying, not driving) or not.

There is plenty of shuttles between houston hotels and the Port. Seems the be about the same cost as from Orlando to PC that I remember. 

• Like 1

Since I live in TX it's very convenient to cruise out of Galveston, but it's my absolute least favorite port because of the infrastructure.  Getting in and out is an absolute nightmare.  We like getting on early, and it will usually take an hour after getting off highway to get the few miles to the parking lot.  Then wait forever to get a shuttle to the terminal.  Upon return it's at least another hour wait to get the shuttle unless you walk off at the crack of dawn.  Adding an additional terminal will be great, but without Galveston fixing infrastructure, this is bound to be a failure.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jimmyjam1973 said:

Since I live in TX it's very convenient to cruise out of Galveston, but it's my absolute least favorite port because of the infrastructure.  Getting in and out is an absolute nightmare.  We like getting on early, and it will usually take an hour after getting off highway to get the few miles to the parking lot.  Then wait forever to get a shuttle to the terminal.  Upon return it's at least another hour wait to get the shuttle unless you walk off at the crack of dawn.  Adding an additional terminal will be great, but without Galveston fixing infrastructure, this is bound to be a failure.

I live in Galveston and have cruised  many times out of here . I can leave my home and be in terminal in 10 minutes . Stay off Harborside , do-not follow the herd .  It has been advised many times on here to stay off Harborside . As far as parking lot to/from terminal,  change parking providers . Others like Falstaff are very efficient. 
There have been so many positive changes occurring in Galveston . 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

They need to upgrade / replace the only ONE red light, with ONE left turn lane, from Harborside turning into 22nd St to the terminals... 

As suggested, don't drive Harborside.  There is more than one way to get to the terminal.

22nd is the access to terminals.  Take Broadway to 22nd or go past and take any street to Harborside and enter from east side.

• Like 2

Living in a landlocked state well away from any coast every cruise is a fly-in cruise.  

I find Houston - Galveston not much different than Orlando - Port Canaveral however I don't try to arrive at the port during peak in either place.

I have a request in with NextCruise to call my cabin should Allure from Galveston open up during this cruise.  Rumors are the first sailing will be a 4 night. 

Edited by twangster

1 hour ago, NavyCruiser said:

They need to upgrade / replace the only ONE red light, with ONE left turn lane, from Harborside turning into 22nd St to the terminals... 

Many changes have happened  and are happening !

Stay off Harborside ! Avoid the left turn lane !

Come into Island of Galveston over causeway, and do not follow signs on Causeway of exit

on Harborside to terminals.

Stay straight on into town on 45 which turns into Broadway.

Go Broadway to 22nd and turn left,

then straight to port and cross Harborside into terminals ! 

Maps

Edited by ssb
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, ssb said:

Come into Island of Galveston over causeway, and do not follow signs on Causeway of exit

Maps

Then Galveston should be advertising this and putting up signage to indicate other options. 99.9% of cruisers aren't going to see your posts and are going to sit in the disaster that is getting to the ship in Galveston. 

It's not a personal attack on you that sailing out of Galveston is terrible...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ssb said:

Maps

Google map shows that it's 3 minutes longer to go the 3.6 miles from I-45/Broadway up 22nd St route, with lots of "yellow" slow traffic thru town, assuming there's not half-million bikers partyin' in town... 

What they need is a no light, direct ramp with 3 splits directly into each terminal (like most airport terminals), & 3 underpasses / overpasses for passengers to walk their luggage across Harborside back to parking garages.

Edited by NavyCruiser

6 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Google map shows that it's 3 minutes longer to go the 3.6 miles from I-45/Broadway up 22nd St route, with lots of "yellow" slow traffic thru town, assuming there's not half-million bikers partyin' in town... 

So is that a positive or a negative comment ?

18 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

Then Galveston should be advertising this and putting up signage to indicate other options. 99.9% of cruisers aren't going to see your posts and are going to sit in the disaster that is getting to the ship in Galveston. 

It's not a personal attack on you that sailing out of Galveston is terrible...

Broadway is also I45, which is a State of Texas Highway ! Changes are slow with State involved !

There are so many changes that have occurred for the better ,

and are happening .  

We do take it personally !

So many cruisers heads are stuck in past experiences ,

and not the present, and whats coming in the future ! 

• Like 2

The negative posts on Cruise Critic of Galveston Cruising

have dramatically reduced  in number and severity over the years. 

This is indicative of the improvements overall on the Island of Galveston!  

Edited by ssb
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, ssb said:

Cruise critic should not be happy with his attitude and comments about Galveston in the past . Cruise Critic is in business to sell cruises .  

Galveston has made great progress with improvements . Many more are coming . 

not enough,

Galeveston, is still a PITA to sail out of.

• Like 2

Not worth trying to convert the non-believers. Different strokes... 

I find it very easy getting in and out of Galveston, but we do drive in and are not dependent on hotel or shuttle service. I am going to change our parking vendor next time, though, for a little better shuttle turn-around. but even with that, it has been easier than the bus shuttles with multiple hotel stops I have had at other bigger ports. Never understood the bad rap Galveston got, as I have not experienced anything major (outside of one fog delay years ago) in my  20 or so Galveston cruises.  We get there just after the big rush and are on the ship in minutes after dropping luggage and parking.

Part of what makes Galveston a unique sailing option is the crowd of car-driving Texans on board. Not saying its any better than my other sailings at fly-in ports, but definitely a different vibe onboard. If they can keep filling ships with mostly drive-in cruisers, there is less of a market incentive to have numerous shuttle options to the port.  

Looking forward to an Oasis class here and improvements in infrastructure to make it more attractive to fly-ins is a bonus.  

Edited by Doug S
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Septemberbride07 said:

Well said Doug S! I'll take driving to port vs flying anytime!

I do love flying in to Seattle or Miami and spending a few day pre cruise enjoying the sites, but I do agree there is nothing like driving to port and driving home after a cruise

Most you can walk from to terminals. 
Park and Cruise
and VIP 

are directly across the street . 
others are close also . 

look at  Falstaff Parking 

Edited by ssb
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ssb said:

Maps

Seems like new signage would be an awesome change 🤔

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tulsacoker said:

I do love flying in to Seattle or Miami and spending a few day pre cruise enjoying the sites, but I do agree there is nothing like driving to port and driving home after a cruise

Speaking to the choir my friend.

20180805_170311.thumb.jpg.4004f34c8adf3a06756749986ec2b9de.jpg

However, as a resident, I am not looking forward to another 6,000 pax terminal in Pt Canaveral next year.😉

FWIW, most of our trips aren't local anymore.

Getting burned out with same old same old

• Like 1