Cagney's Menu

thecruisers723

4 hours ago, ChicaChic said:

I paid the 5.00 upcharge for the "JUMBO" crab cake.  I was disappointed.  They need to take the jumbo word off the menu.  There should not be an upcharge for it either.  It was about the size of an Oreo cookie and not as tasty as what we get along the Gulf coast.

Whoa what?

What a major downgrade.

It used to be the size of hockey puck

4 hours ago, electro said:

If you are going to order the fisherman's platter for the crab cake, you might want to look that this thread first ... 

Thanks for the refresher, good grief - I've forgotten about that "upscale" dining choice, for our convenience, of course ...  Now, DW isn't a big eater but this is going to get interesting - it is our P/+ comp'd dinner, guess we got continue with supper - part 2, late in the MDR. 

Cagney's menu has gone through changes on each of our last three cruises in May, August and November of this year.  Three different ships, but changes seemed consistent with what people were posting here on CC.  

Just saw a live Getaway thread that does not have the Bacon appetizer at Cagney's that we enjoyed last month on that ship.  

So, not only do you pay extra to eat in in Cagney's, you also have the chance to pay extra for certain items once inside Cagney's.

Wow, NCL sees people coming. It will only get worse if people keep feeding the beast.

Edited by trummy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, trummy said:

So, not only do you pay extra to eat in in Cagney's, you also have the chance to pay extra for certain items once inside Cagney's.

Wow, NCL sees people coming. It will only get worse if people keep feeding the beast.

There's no "cover charge" if that's what you mean.  If what you're asking about is the cost of the dining package to eat there "free" - I can order items totaling over 2/3 the value of the 3-night package, with just the upcharge for the crab cake, in just that one restaurant on one night so I definitely see value in it.

7 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Any thoughts about the desserts on the latest menu?  😄

They don't look any different than when I was on the Bliss in Oct/Nov.  OMG caramel-butterscotch cheesecake is my go-to there, though I think the brownie was good.  If it hasn't changed, the 7-layer chocolate cake is a "share" item - need 2 people to polish it off...

We go to Cagney's each trip and on the last 4 we went so I could get the pork belly app. :). If this goes away so will I, just had better steak at La Cucina last April on the Gem. It's all a matter of what you want and no two people will agree so just go and enjoy. Plus if it's a loyalty perk all the better.

20 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Wanna eat crab cake, order that Fisherman's Platter (fried or grilled) instead - crab cake included, that's our plan ... no upcharge.  Get that 20 oz. Porterhouse ... should be plenty of red meat to share between two dining together.  

$16 for a "Thick Cut Bacon" as a starter, better be worth it if paying a la carte pricing ... not upcharge, however - isn't that weird with pricing but no upcharge over the Tiger shrimp.  Our local steakhouse charge much less for bacon ... Gotta love & embrace freestyle cruising, to each her/his own.  

My "Thick Cut Bacon" was a "Thin piece of Gwaltney"... sad

3 hours ago, hallux said:

They don't look any different than when I was on the Bliss in Oct/Nov.  OMG caramel-butterscotch cheesecake is my go-to there, though I think the brownie was good.  If it hasn't changed, the 7-layer chocolate cake is a "share" item - need 2 people to polish it off...

Agree with your take on those desserts with one caveat:  all of them are rich enough to warrant DH and me sharing. 😉 I didn't think I'd like the cheesecake with the sweet topping but it somehow works.  Very tasty.

Turtles06, if you like chocolate and cake that layer cake is dark and dense rich.  

The macadamia brownie and ice cream must be a very popular choice as I think it's survived every menu change over the years.

3 hours ago, hallux said:

Or just ask to take it for later. I think the 7 layer cake  is the best dessert on any NCL ship. Most are so disappointing. The crème brulee in Le Bistro is a close second.  

Has anyone payed out of pocket to eat at Cagney's since the most recent price increases?

Also the latitudes coupon says that there is an upcharge for entrees over $20, considering there aren't any under $20 entrees has anybody experienced this upcharge actually happening, we didn't have it charged on breakaway in Oct.

20 minutes ago, lizord said:

Has anyone payed out of pocket to eat at Cagney's since the most recent price increases?

Also the latitudes coupon says that there is an upcharge for entrees over $20, considering there aren't any under $20 entrees has anybody experienced this upcharge actually happening, we didn't have it charged on breakaway in Oct.

Per NCL's current Latitudes tier benefits regulations, entrees up to $35 are covered. 

1 hour ago, teeredi2cruise said:

My "Thick Cut Bacon" was a "Thin piece of Gwaltney"... sad

Thank you for that kind alert.  Yike - what to do, what to do ... now that both bacon & tiny jumbo crab cake are both out.  

40 minutes ago, Zippeedee said:

... 7 layer cake  is the best dessert on any NCL ship ... crème brulee in Le Bistro is a close second.  

Hmmm, maybe we will give that 7 layer cake a try this weekend.  Don't they make the same, identical creme brulee for both LeBistro & Cagney (DW felt it was too sweet or sugarly)

1 minute ago, mking8288 said:

Thank you for that kind alert.  Yike - what to do, what to do ... now that both bacon & tiny jumbo crab cake are both out.  

Hmmm, maybe we will give that 7 layer cake a try this weekend.  Don't they make the same, identical creme brulee for both LeBistro & Cagney (DW felt it was too sweet or sugarly)

Yes, sorry... We ended up crumbling it and putting on our salads. lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

My one experience with the crème brulee in Cagney's was not good. It is raspberry and was not cooked enough. It was a soupy mess that should never have been served. That was on the Gem a few years ago and I gave up. I like the vanilla version in Le Bistro. Never a bad one yet!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zippeedee said:

My one experience with the crème brulee in Cagney's was not good. It is raspberry and was not cooked enough. It was a soupy mess that should never have been served. That was on the Gem a few years ago and I gave up. I like the vanilla version in Le Bistro. Never a bad one yet!

I toally agree !!!  LeBistro creme brulee is the best !  Cagneys and one in MDR (not on every night menu..maybe once on a 7 day cruise)   not so good. 

2 hours ago, snorklinbarb said:

Agree with your take on those desserts with one caveat:  all of them are rich enough to warrant DH and me sharing. 😉 I didn't think I'd like the cheesecake with the sweet topping but it somehow works.  Very tasty.

Turtles06, if you like chocolate and cake that layer cake is dark and dense rich.  

The macadamia brownie and ice cream must be a very popular choice as I think it's survived every menu change over the years.

Thanks!  It's been a few years since we last sailed on NCL, and I can't remember the Cagney's desserts, except that they had an Oreo cheesecake then and it was incredible, hand's down the best dessert of the entire cruise.   I hope the new cheesecake is as good. And yes, I'm a chocolate fan, so I might have to try the cake.  (Right now we have two nights booked at Cagney's for the Panama Canal cruise.)   

On 12/12/2019 at 1:55 PM, Turtles06 said:

Thanks!  It's been a few years since we last sailed on NCL, and I can't remember the Cagney's desserts, except that they had an Oreo cheesecake then and it was incredible, hand's down the best dessert of the entire cruise.   I hope the new cheesecake is as good. And yes, I'm a chocolate fan, so I might have to try the cake.  (Right now we have two nights booked at Cagney's for the Panama Canal cruise.)   

Judith:

Just had the current Cagney's cheesecake last night on the Gem and sorry to say, I was not impressed. Also had the cheesecake in La Cucina one night and my reaction was worse than "not impressed". I took one bite and the maitre d' must have seen the expression on my face because he came running over and suggested I try the tiramisu or cannoli instead. He told me people send the cheesecake back all the time. I'm not a tiramisu fan so I tried the cannoli . It was fair at best.

I do like Cagney's chocolate cake...although it's not what it was 5 or 6 years ago either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2019 at 10:24 AM, lizord said:

846B14DD-F6D4-4863-A22B-75B985F48B90.jpeg

On 12/12/2019 at 11:24 AM, lizord said:

I've never seen anyone order a la carte. Just isn't worth the outrageous menu prices for frozen seafood and steak that can't be grilled over an open flame. Just like beverages...I rarely see anyone pay as they go. I've been looking at some other options to NCL. I'm actually pretty pleased with what I am seeing, Chambord on NCL $20, Holland America $7. Grey Goose NCL $15, Holland America $8. Vueve Cliquot NCL $34.95, HAL $18. Beverage gratuity NCL 20%, HAL 15%. Everything is doubled up on NCL. Look, businesses are entitled to a reasonable profit. This seems excessive to me.