ms Nieuw Amsterdam in Port Everglades ecember 14, 2019

Scrapnana

1 hour ago, dogdoc2002 said:

Just disembarked her yesterday. Captain Tuvu, a.k.a Captain Bye Bye is at the helm

The Captain wrote a very good letter to the guests.  I think a decision will be made at noon. If they habe to cancel the cruise they would be wise to keep all on board until Monday when the port will be less busy.

I feel bad in a way because many who read my posts know that this ship and the Eurodam are big favorites of mine.

• Thanks 1

So sorry to read this. We just got off the Oosterdam yesterday. We were docked in San Diego for two days while a team of divers did replacement of seals on one azipod that were allowing sea water leak into the interior of the pod. It was a major job but were able to isolate the azipod without going to drydock. But I think they had some prior warning of this problem because it would have taken time to bring in the specialized company and gather the pier full of equipment they needed to make this repair. They were successful and we ended up with a shortened cruise to Mexico.

34 minutes ago, Himself said:

The Captain wrote a very good letter to the guests.  I think a decision will be made at noon. If they habe to cancel the cruise they would be wise to keep all on board until Monday when the port will be less busy.

I feel bad in a way because many who read my posts know that this ship and the Eurodam are big favorites of mine.

My answer was in regards to the Sky Princess, I thought someone had asked who her captain was

38 minutes ago, twodjs said:

So sorry to read this. We just got off the Oosterdam yesterday. We were docked in San Diego for two days while a team of divers did replacement of seals on one azipod that were allowing sea water leak into the interior of the pod. It was a major job but were able to isolate the azipod without going to drydock. But I think they had some prior warning of this problem because it would have taken time to bring in the specialized company and gather the pier full of equipment they needed to make this repair. They were successful and we ended up with a shortened cruise to Mexico.

The newer azipods cam be serviced w/o a drydock.

12:00 Noon EST has come and gone. If she requires a dry-dock and it's beginning to look that way, available space becomes an issue. If the Grand Bahama Shipyard in Freeport is not an option because all four of her docks are already occupied, Detyens Shipyard in Charleston, SC could be an alternative, as might be EPIC Shipyard in Mobile, Ala., again if space is available. Can't be a "day at the beach" at the ops center in Seattle today

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

12:00 Noon EST has come and gone. If she requires a dry-dock and it's beginning to look that way, available space becomes an issue. If the Grand Bahama Shipyard in Freeport is not an option because all four of her docks are already occupied, Detyens Shipyard in Charleston, SC could be an alternative, as might be EPIC Shipyard in Mobile, Ala., again if space is available. Can't be a "day at the beach" at the ops center in Seattle today

I am beginning to wonder if we will leave on her next Saturday for Christmas week!

12 minutes ago, Samanthac25 said:

I am sailing NA next week on the Christmas cruise too. I will have a breakdown if our Christmas is ruined 😭🤦🏻‍♀️

Yes, your holiday trip might end up ruined but Christmas will still happen and, unlike some families involved in recent cruise related fatalities, you will have your loved ones for the holidays. Hoping your cruise isn't cancelled but wishing you a Merry Christmas wherever it finds you...

• Like 5

Just now, HAL Sailer said:

Yes, your holiday trip might end up ruined but Christmas will still happen and, unlike some families involved in recent cruise related fatalities, you will have your loved ones for the holidays. Hoping your cruise isn't cancelled but wishing you a Merry Christmas wherever it finds you...

Thanks for the kind words. I actually booked this one with my 14 year old because we don’t have any family left after my mother passed away last year and we didn’t want to spend the holiday at home alone and sad. Losing our vacation over Christmas would be devastating for both of us this year. Hoping for the best and that we sail as planned. 

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

John:

If they have to go to dry dock and something is available, how long would it take to make the repair?

54 minutes ago, wesport said:

I am beginning to wonder if we will leave on her next Saturday for Christmas week!

Too early to tell unfortunately, since that depends on a lot of factors; available dry-dock and where, transit time there back and forth, a new Azi-pod which has to come from Europe, time required to remove the old one and install the new one..........Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Btw, this (replacing an Azi-pod on an emergency basis) has happened once before, this time on Oosterdam in 2006/2007

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Samanthac25 said:

I am sailing NA next week on the Christmas cruise too. I will have a breakdown if our Christmas is ruined 😭🤦🏻‍♀️

Thanks for the kind words. I actually booked this one with my 14 year old because we don’t have any family left after my mother passed away last year and we didn’t want to spend the holiday at home alone and sad. Losing our vacation over Christmas would be devastating for both of us this year. Hoping for the best and that we sail as planned. 

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that if your cruise is cancelled you will be able to come up with an alternative plan. Helping your son deal with his grief will help you deal with yours. Maybe a last minute cruise on another ship, another cruise line? Enlist the help of a TA and ask for suggestions. Please don’t let it be devastating. Make a memory and teach your son that things don’t always work out as planned. The best of luck to you.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, kazu said:

It was reported on another thread that the cruise has been cancelled. 😞  - 

Poor people.  What a mess trying to find hotels or flights at this time of the year. 😞 

I saw that same thread.  I was hoping they would hold up disembarkation until tomorrow when FLL will be less crowded.

I hope they can get to an open drydock and get thip out of the water.

1 hour ago, Himself said:

I saw that same thread.  I was hoping they would hold up disembarkation until tomorrow when FLL will be less crowded.

I hope they can get to an open drydock and get thip out of the water.

Disembarkation can be done today or tomorrow at passengers discretion.

Hotels shouldn't be an issue since most will have emptied out as people left for the other ships in harbor.

Air lines today would be a ***** since most flights would have been booked by people getting off other cruise ships.

Best option for those flying home would be to stay on board at no cost while looking for flights tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Himself said:

I just check the Marine traffic report and when I clicked on the Nieuw Statendam it shows that when she leaves she will head to Newport. 

Not sure where you're seeing that but according to the itinerary, she's supposed to be at Half Moon Cay tomorrow. 

6 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Disembarkation can be done today or tomorrow at passengers discretion.

Hotels shouldn't be an issue since most will have emptied out as people left for the other ships in harbor.

Air lines today would be a ***** since most flights would have been booked by people getting off other cruise ships.

Best option for those flying home would be to stay on board at no cost while looking for flights tomorrow.

I'm sure they have plenty more seats on flights out of FLL than for just people departing cruise ships. Same for hotels, plus you're ignoring that people might have arrived for flights tomorrow or Tuesday. In any event, Monday would be better for flying than Sunday.

7 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

What a mess. I guess we were lucky we got back in yesterday morning. I knew something was up when I saw the tugs had to bring us in. 
Hope HAL steps up with speedy compensation and travel assistance.

Full refund and 100% credit towards a future sailing, so some sort of change fee coverage. And yes, apparently the tugs are required because maneuvering  is limited with only a single azipod.

4 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

Not sure where you're seeing that but according to the itinerary, she's supposed to be at Half Moon Cay tomorrow. 

You are correct  I meant the Nieuw Amsterdam.  I would not have made the mistake if HAL had named the NS the STATENDAM.

I am so sorry for the mistake.

• Haha 1

Just now, Himself said:

You are correct  I meant the Nieuw Amsterdam.  I would not have made the mistake if HAL had named the NS the STATENDAM.

I am so sorry for the mistake.

You are forgiven :). I guess I should have asked if you had the name wrong. I'm guessing there is a shipyard in Newport that can repair the azipod? But if that's the case, it doesn't sound good for next Saturday's sailing!