What is the thing you liked most on Grandeur of the Seas?

BillHoo

Thanks everyone for posting about the great ratings.  We are very much looking forward to meeting the Lady Grandeur next year for the first (and sadly probably the last) time.   Really bummed they are selling off the sweet little Vision class sisters, one by one.  😞  I still miss Legend.  

Edited by island lady

7 hours ago, island lady said:

Best thing was the set up of having the DL and the CL across the hallway from each other, much like the Radiance sisters.  The crew was great also!  🙂 

I thought that was the best placement of DL and CL on any Royal ship.  We were one deck below that level and so never had to use an elevator to get to the lounge.

8 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

The Chef's table on this ship is the best two i've been to.  I've done Chef's Table on Grandeur, Navigator, Anthem and Allure.  The top two were on Grandeur.

Are they still doing that. 🤔

I don't see it listed on web site.

Our best CT was on Legend

• Like 1

I agree with so much of what @Tatka said! The Grandeur is cozy in the most positive way - it is easy to get to almost anywhere on the ship you want to go Iso that you didn’t start dreading going to X or Y), you frequently run into new and old cruise friends which can make for a more interesting and enjoyable week. The Grandeur just has a feel of community that is about more than just its size that we will miss.

One other special aspect is that it is like the older passenger ships, where there were wooden decks that offered an open view of the sea the entire length of each side (absent on almost all new ships). I don’t bother fantasizing that there will be new ships this size built in the future, but to not have them at all one day will be a huge loss.

On 12/19/2019 at 9:39 PM, Host Clarea said:

I thought that was the best placement of DL and CL on any Royal ship.  We were one deck below that level and so never had to use an elevator to get to the lounge.

Me too....soooo very convenient.  Was such a great little ship and crew.  Indeed a great layout, easy to get around.  

On 12/22/2019 at 8:18 PM, homedepot124 said:

We were on Grandeur earlier this year and John Blair was the CD and his wife Katrina was the Activities Mgr.  They are the best!

We were on board with them in April, and did not like them at all.

To each his own.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NotTheBatesMotel said:

Best crew I've ever sailed with, uncrowded (except for 1 sea day) promenade deck with nice loungers + ocean views, way better food in the MDR than the mega ships. General lack of crowds was also a huge perk. 

Yes! The Maitre D always remembers our name and room number from the first night on (even though we aren’t there nightly) and smiles like you are his most important guest (and no doubt everyone gets the same smile). Now that is service and it’s that kind of thing that makes the Grandeur a cruise experience unlike others.

I had booked Grandeur (first time on this ship, and first time to Baltimore) for upcoming B2B September sailings months ago.  But since we have some extra time early summer, we booked another 9 night NE for June as well, just yesterday.   

Have read such good reviews, plus wanting to get some extra time the little Vision class lady before she leaves us, .....just "had" to do it.  😉  Never got the chance to sail with Splendour...did not not want to miss out on this one.  

Still miss the Legend, but at least got a cherished block from the little sister.  🙂 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 8:29 AM, birdylady said:

The crew was definitively one of the friendliest in the fleet and considering they usually are all pretty friendly, that says alot.  The CD and Activities Manager are everywhere and interact with all the passengers. 

That says a lot as one thing I've noticed in recent cruising (Oasis, Freedom and Voyager class) is that you only see the CD (and same with Activities Manager) when introducing the shows and running events such as Love & Marriage, Top Tier event, etc....but not walking around the ship.  

I particularly like the delay after pushing the toilet flush button. I also like the trickle of water that comes out of the spigot in the bathroom sink. The cozy shower area is the best, except when I bend over. that is why we are going on a 12 day Caribbean cruise next month on the Grandeur.😎.

Edited by bananawindnj
  • Like 1

To me, the ship is dated (I wish they had updated the ship like Celebrity did with Summit, which is now beautiful) and the food is just OK.  But, what I like best about Grandeur is that it is just a very relaxed ship where it is easy to unwind and rest for a week.  The crew is very friendly, the entertainment is very good (more traditional cruise ship entertainment, not as many bells and whistles), and the whole experience is very calming.  

On 12/19/2019 at 1:15 AM, John&LaLa said:

Lots of speciality restaurants from what I understand. 

As many as a ship almost twice her size

I guess I would say that the lack of RC's more innovative specialty restaurants is a great weakness of this ship.  Not nearly as many or as interesting specialty restaurants as Anthem, for example.

On 12/19/2019 at 9:51 AM, rafinmd said:

I would consider comments about checkin pretty much off topic.  That is done by Port of Baltimore people, not Royal staff.

Roy

It's actually  a company hired by Royal .

Not MPA employees 

Edited by Tony O

21 hours ago, bananawindnj said:

I particularly like the delay after pushing the toilet flush button. I also like the trickle of water that comes out of the spigot in the bathroom sink. The cozy shower area is the best, except when I bend over. that is why we are going on a 12 day Caribbean cruise next month on the Grandeur.😎.

We are too! In Feb.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shiphound said:

I guess I would say that the lack of RC's more innovative specialty restaurants is a great weakness of this ship.  Not nearly as many or as interesting specialty restaurants as Anthem, for example.

And you'll notice less on Enchantment 😉

6 hours ago, shiphound said:

For a small ship, it has plenty of specialty restaurants:  3 + Chef's Table.  Anthem only has one more:  Wonderland.  (I don't count Solarium Bistro, both for quality and cost).  When you consider that Anthem is more than twice the capacity (closer to three times), the comparison favors the Grandeur.

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

For a small ship, it has plenty of specialty restaurants:  3 + Chef's Table.  Anthem only has one more:  Wonderland.  (I don't count Solarium Bistro, both for quality and cost).  When you consider that Anthem is more than twice the capacity (closer to three times), the comparison favors the Grandeur.

And 20 years newer😉

And FWIW, Wonderland can be a 1 and done experience 

Edited by John&LaLa

18 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Wonderland is the only really good specialty restaurant on either ship.  Also, Jamie's on Anthem is much better than Giovani's Table, which isn't that good.

20 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I gave in to RJ's protests over the years to go there and tried Wonderland last cruise......it was just not my cup of tea.🤢.  I applaud the wonder element.....but the only thing I was left wondering is why the heck did I agree to go. The waitress took it upon herself to decide what to bring us. I specified no raw food, no tartars, no sushi, nothing moving. Ugh it was all on my plate. And what was that lobster thing on spoon? Tasted like it was dipped in castor oil!

I went straight down to Sorrento's for a pizza. RJ did not enjoy it much but his opinion was more moderate than mine.😉

Different strokes for different folks....I know some people love it! But it was not for me.
I enjoy Jamie's🥰, Giovanni's 😋and Chops🙂.

Sorry, did not mean to hijack Grandeur's glory. Looking forward to cruising the Grandeur in Feb.