oops! Two Carnival ships collide in Cozumel.

NoFlyGuy

Might not be directly P&O related but seems to be a tough time for Carnival. What with this incident (thankfully nobody reported injured) and the problems we had with Ventura which seem to be ongoing, albeit weather related now. Aurora due to head for the Canaries into some pretty bad conditions. We are back on Ventura on the 3rd - fingers crossed all will be well.

Interesting  to see how the share price reacts, if at all, on Monday. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoFlyGuy said:

Might not be directly P&O related but seems to be a tough time for Carnival. What with this incident (thankfully nobody reported injured) and the problems we had with Ventura which seem to be ongoing, albeit weather related now. Aurora due to head for the Canaries into some pretty bad conditions. We are back on Ventura on the 3rd - fingers crossed all will be well.

Ventura has had a medi-vac and some bad weather nothing else I have read about. Any ship in the B of B would have problems. Have you seen the wave forecast.

I think Ventura is past the worst weather now.

Edited by daiB
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, NoFlyGuy said:

Plus the delay in delivery of Mardi Gras and the cancellation of 8 sailings as a result, it wasn't a good day for Carnival Corp yesterday.

1 hour ago, peteukmcr said:

Plus the delay in delivery of Mardi Gras and the cancellation of 8 sailings as a result, it wasn't a good day for Carnival Corp yesterday.

Not sure that everyone would agree with you on that!

Share Price Information for Carnival (CCL)

London Stock Exchange
Share Price is delayed by 15 minutes
Get Live Data
Share Price: 3,587.00
Bid: 3,600.00
Ask: 3,605.00
Change: 229.00 (6.82%)
Spread: 5.00 (0.14%)
Open: 3,373.00
High: 3,650.00
Low: 3,334.00
Yest. Close: 3,358.00

1 hour ago, crompton21 said:

Not sure that everyone would agree with you on that!

Share Price Information for Carnival (CCL)

London Stock Exchange
Share Price is delayed by 15 minutes
Get Live Data
Share Price: 3,587.00
Bid: 3,600.00
Ask: 3,605.00
Change: 229.00 (6.82%)
Spread: 5.00 (0.14%)
Open: 3,373.00
High: 3,650.00
Low: 3,334.00
Yest. Close: 3,358.00

Yes the shares went up by £2.29, maybe they should stage a few more crashes and delay all their new ships!:classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Yes the shares went up by £2.29, maybe they should stage a few more crashes and delay all their new ships!:classic_rolleyes:

The share price shot up at 2pm yesterday presumably after Carnival posted fourth quarter results.

Haven't read them yet but must have been better than expected.

11 hours ago, daiB said:

Saturdays wave chart.

A bit lumpy

4CA11334-9402-4A2C-BE81-FE5B52815D29.png

That does look colourful.  We had a presentation from a Captain a few years back when heading that way and he said if the ship goes into the purple it would turn over!  Hence a change of itinerary and another ship heading for the Azores went to the Canaries instead.  We were on Boudicca one October (I think two years ago and we sailed into the Bay to escape a hurricane that was heading to (and reached) the UK still with hurricane status.  We actually had a good sailing that way and did not miss any ports as time was made up.  In today's case it will depend on the direction the rough seas are moving - could well be NW so into the Bay would be the only escape. 

So next time you phone the police to report an RTA (road traffic accident) and the call handler says you are reporting an RTC (road traffic collision) you can say; "no this was an RTA one vehicle was stationary and it was therefore clearly an allision or RTA as road traffic allisions are known". 

Regards John

11 minutes ago, john watson said:

So next time you phone the police to report an RTA (road traffic accident) and the call handler says you are reporting an RTC (road traffic collision) you can say; "no this was an RTA one vehicle was stationary and it was therefore clearly an allision or RTA as road traffic allisions are known". 

Regards John

I Googled it John, apparently it is a marine term where a vessel strikes a fixed/non moving object. 

How I survived pre Internet is a mystery!! 😊

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I Googled it John, apparently it is a marine term where a vessel strikes a fixed/non moving object. 

How I survived pre Internet is a mystery!! 😊

Andy 

Lexico.com says Allision is a noun.

Law The action of striking (something) against or upon something.

Origin 17th century earliest use found in Helkiah Crooke (1576 - 1648) physician and anatomist.  From post-classical Latin  allision-, allisio act of striking upon from classical Latin- allis past participial stem of allidere -+ io.

I suspect the word has become archaic and fallen into disuse apart from obscure use in maritime matters.

The phrase Michelle has allided with the gate post again might be correct but I think disingenuous.

Lol John

PS next useful word under discussion "defenestration"  Princess actually do a call my Bluff style game in the evening with ents and an officer or two.

Edited by john watson

9 hours ago, john watson said:

Origin 17th century earliest use found in Helkiah Crooke (1576 - 1648) physician and anatomist.  From post-classical Latin  allision-, allisio act of striking upon from classical Latin- allis past participial stem of allidere -+ io.

I suspect the word has become archaic and fallen into disuse apart from obscure use in maritime matters.

The phrase Michelle has allided with the gate post again might be correct but I think disingenuous.

Lol John

PS next useful word under discussion "defenestration"  Princess actually do a call my Bluff style game in the evening with ents and an officer or two.

It's on Google John, it must be true😂😂

As usual, I bow to your higher level of knowledge and better use of the Internet.. 

Andy 

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:49 PM, john watson said:

Lol John

I think the Captain parked up wanted to defenestrate the other Captain. The MD is offering extra alfresco dining in the MDR,so every cloud,lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1