Online check in...

AndyMichelle

1 hour ago, crompton21 said:

I can’t understand how they can risk using an old picture.  A lot of facial hair can be removed or added in six weeks, certainly enough to make recognising someone in a photograph challenging from a security point of view.

Well your passport can be over 9 years old with the same picture?

They use on line check ins for Azamara and we did that for our October cruise.  They did ask for pics, but we had none to hand and would have been quite a problem to try grappling with that, so we left the section blank and they took the photos at the port.  We still had an extremely efficient check in though and at a time of our choosing as they ask passengers when they will be arriving at the port and allocate check in times accordingly.

• Like 1

It looks simple enough but it didn’t work for me.

All it asks is a re-type of your passport number and entering your CC details.

Everything else in Part 1 is prefilled, so it has your name & passport details.

Sadly it was unhappy with my passport lifetime (March one year - December 10+ years later) and flashed up a message that it was not possible to have a passport valid for 10 years 9 months.  🙄. That is probably the case with passports issued very recently, when the Govt, in its wisdom, decided that 10 years was the maximum lifetime.  However, my passport is perfectly valid and has the now forbidden extra months, so I will just have to join the check-in queue.

Didnt have to do anything with a photo, so I think it might be like MSC, where you go onboard with your boarding pass & get snapped by security staff, who are lurking in the atrium with hand held devices.

Good luck to others.  I’m sure it will be simple as long as your passport conforms 

• Like 1

Well that was easy.. 

Onboard within minutes of arrival. 

There was no queue at all for the online check in, but rather a large queue for the normal check in. 

This was probably due to not many people having the option. 

They did not take photos and our cards were ready. 

Right, what cocktail to have first... 

Andy 

• Like 3

So - no photos?  When you “blip” in and out at the gangway the security personnel don’t have any means of knowing the cruise card actually belongs to you?

Oh - enjoy that cocktail; have a great cruise and for goodness sake look after Ventura.  We’re on after you

Edited by eddie11
Additional
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Well that was easy.. 

Onboard within minutes of arrival. 

There was no queue at all for the online check in, but rather a large queue for the normal check in. 

This was probably due to not many people having the option. 

They did not take photos and our cards were ready. 

Right, what cocktail to have first... 

Andy 

Enjoy your cocktail(s) Andy .... 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 3:34 PM, eddie11 said:

when the Govt, in its wisdom, decided that 10 years was the maximum lifetime.

To be fair, the decision was not made by the UK government. It was because there was a danger that the EU would not recognise the "roll over " period, which could have resulted in travellers being refused entry into the EU.

OK

I guess my beef is with P&O really - their system is telling me something which is patently untrue and is unable to cope with circumstances as they exist

I suspect that there may be more pax with ‘overlong’ passport validity than those with less than 10 years, at the moment.  (The ratio will change, over time, of course)  Therefore online check in is not the great benefit which it should/could be

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, eddie11 said:

OK

I guess my beef is with P&O really - their system is telling me something which is patently untrue and is unable to cope with circumstances as they exist

I suspect that there may be more pax with ‘overlong’ passport validity than those with less than 10 years, at the moment.  (The ratio will change, over time, of course)  Therefore online check in is not the great benefit which it should/could be

Too right, both our passports exceed 10 yrs and have quite a few years to run  so unless P&O revisit their software we will never be able to use on line check in.   

Or can you lie and amend the start date so it's only 10 yrs?

8 minutes ago, eddie11 said:

OK

Just had the same problem, my wife's passport wasn't acceptable because it is valid for too long. So we will just have to join the queue at the terminal.

1 hour ago, eddie11 said:

So - no photos?  When you “blip” in and out at the gangway the security personnel don’t have any means of knowing the cruise card actually belongs to you?

Oh - enjoy that cocktail; have a great cruise and for goodness sake look after Ventura.  We’re on after you

Re photos.. 

It's caused a domestic.. 

Michelle thinks they took them off our passports, I think they used ones already on their system from our previous cruise... 

Ventura is looking amazing, we will take good care

Andy 

We’ve just completed online check in for our cruise next week. No problems at all, as noted above, all the information is already on the system, all we had to do was re-enter the passport numbers as confirmation. Both our passports were renewed early so are valid for over 10 years, but are not due to expire until 2027 and 2028. We also had the option to add card details in advance, which we did. Seems very straightforward. Will be interested to see what photo is used. I would be surprised if it was our passport photos. I wouldn’t have thought P&O would have access to that info, but maybe they are using previous photos as our last cruise was May 2019. Time will tell.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, davemorton said:

Well buy her another....and ask the barperson for a look at his computer when he swipes your card. 

Do the photos show up when you buy from the bars and shops? I have seen waiters put card details in but not noticed a photo pop up.

Once with a different cruise company I was given the wrong card back in the coffee shop. When I got back to room I couldn't open the door, but the stewardess was there and jumped in to open it. It was only later when I went to sign after a purchase I noticed it wasn't my card. The other person (who I think was a young person which I'm not) had bought something on my card (which was refunded).

15 minutes ago, emam said:

Do the photos show up when you buy from the bars and shops? I have seen waiters put card details in but not noticed a photo pop up.

Once with a different cruise company I was given the wrong card back in the coffee shop. When I got back to room I couldn't open the door, but the stewardess was there and jumped in to open it. It was only later when I went to sign after a purchase I noticed it wasn't my card. The other person (who I think was a young person which I'm not) had bought something on my card (which was refunded).

The photo certainly pops up when you board the ship during the cruise,  as the security staff check the image on the screen to make sure you are  who you are (if you see what I mean!).