OCC travel agents????

Wishing on a star

Me again!   We have contacted one of these travel agents, who I believe is supposed to be OCC.  We saw him because he had recently put out some really good videos on Oceania on youtube.  But, so far, have only received back the Oceania invoice that seems to be exactly what I am seeing online.   

Shouldn't a good OCC agent be able to offer some perks, upgrades, etc?

He did mention 'perhaps' free gratuities or other perks.  But nothing so far except for that generic Oceania invoice.  Published online rates.

Any good info or insight on how to find a good OCC travel agent, would be helpful!

15 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Me again!   We have contacted one of these travel agents, who I believe is supposed to be OCC.  We saw him because he had recently put out some really good videos on Oceania on youtube.  But, so far, have only received back the Oceania invoice that seems to be exactly what I am seeing online.   

He did mention 'perhaps' free gratuities or other perks.  But nothing so far except for that generic Oceania invoice.  Published online rates.

Any good info or insight on how to find a good OCC travel agent, would be helpful!

With our TA, the TA perks are in the email used to forward us the invoice...something like "I am providing gratuities, or $XXX in Shipboard credit"  where the amount or combination depends on the cruise price, cabin level, and cruise length.  This perk is not on the invoice if comes from the TA."  We have sometime had gratuity as a group amenity, but that is a joint TA/Oceania deal, and it shows on the invoice.  You should check with you TA as to what specific perk he/she is providing

Edited by 1985rz1

15 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Search here on CC for the zillion threads on how to find a good TA, including my numerous posts addressing the Connoisseurs Club. 

Either the TA is or isn't a Connoisseurs Club member. It will say so on the Oceania invoice near his name.

Gratuities should be the minimum he provides. Next time (perhaps even next future agent) ask how much non-refundable SBC (or cash rebate) s/he will provide beyond O's own perks (O Life, O Club loyalty, etc.) and gratuities.

What you should be looking for in comparison shopping across the "short list" you develop is a total value of savings/rebates/etc at approx 5-10% of the commissionable fare.

Beyond searching travel news/magazine articles for recommendations, ask fellow O passengers who they use. After awhile, you'll start hearing the same companies/individuals repeated. Interview them. Take it from there.

• Like 2

It is my understanding that Oceania does not allow agents to discount the official quoted price but they are allowed to provide some perks.

Those may include OBC, PPG or a "rebate" where they share some of their commission. The latter amount varies from agent to agent and is generally only listed in the email and not on invoice as noted above.

6 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

It is my understanding that Oceania does not allow agents to discount the official quoted price but they are allowed to provide some perks.

Those may include OBC, PPG or a "rebate" where they share some of their commission. The latter amount varies from agent to agent and is generally only listed in the email and not on invoice as noted above.

Connoisseurs Club TAs do enjoy unpublished  "quiet sales" rotated among them (usually for a month at a time). The basic discount approximates the book onboard savings of around 4-5%. Connoisseurs Club TAs are also among the first to see price drops and upgrade opportunities.

1 minute ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

We always get cash back, around 5% of the price paid, and typically gratuities. Since we are silver in the O-Club the gratuities turn into additional OBC, up to $224.

That "in lieu" gratuities number can vary (but not by much) depending on O Club level and itinerary length.

50 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

That "in lieu" gratuities number can vary (but not by much) depending on O Club level and itinerary length.

It mostly varies by when one reached Gold and got "grandfathered" into a full amount of PPG as OBC - on a longer cruise that can be a lot.

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I could be wrong but I think that your perks depend on the length of your cruise and the category booked. In other words what the agency is going to earn in commission and the portion they can afford to give to you. Upgrades are generally only for guarantees at the discretion of the cruise line, although it can be possible closer to the sailing date. I almost always book inside guarantees and only get gratuities, once in awhile SBC. Upsells are sometimes offered by the cruise line closer to sailing date.

Edited by Petoonya

25 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

I could be wrong but I think that your perks depend on the length of your cruise and the category booked. In other words what the agency is going to earn in commission and the portion they can afford to give to you. Upgrades are generally only for guarantees at the discretion of the cruise line, although it can be possible closer to the sailing date. I almost always book inside guarantees and only get gratuities, once in awhile SBC. Upsells are sometimes offered by the cruise line closer to sailing date.

With a very few exceptions (warranted on a case by case basis) Oceania "O Club" loyalty perks (e.g., SBC, onboard discounts, etc) per cruise booking number currently are based primarily on amassed cruise credits (and, therefore, O Club level) rather than cabin or O Life 

O Life perks are based on itinerary and nothing else.

TA added perks (e.g., refundable SBC, non-O coverage of gratuities, etc) are at the discretion of the TA and they can vary widely from "nada" to the aforementioned commission sharing which obviously can be better with a higher fare cruise.

Do note that some perks (e.g., onboard booking bonus and/or discount rate may exclude certain low end cabins).  

As for upgrades, wherever did you get the idea that they are only for "guarantee" cabins?

We're often called by our TA for a particular cruise to find out if we want to upgrade and how much we're willing to spend. It's that knowing no of shuffling that creates the openings to fill the "guarantees" for others.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

59 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

With a very few exceptions (warranted on a case by case basis) Oceania "O Club" loyalty perks (e.g., SBC, onboard discounts, etc) per cruise booking number currently are based primarily on amassed cruise credits (and, therefore, O Club level) rather than cabin or O Life 

O Life perks are based on itinerary and nothing else.

TA added perks (e.g., refundable SBC, non-O coverage of gratuities, etc) are at the discretion of the TA and they can vary widely from "nada" to the aforementioned commission sharing which obviously can be better with a higher fare cruise.

Do note that some perks (e.g., onboard booking bonus and/or discount rate may exclude certain low end cabins).  

As for upgrades, wherever did you get the idea that they are only for "guarantee" cabins?

We're often called by our TA for a particular cruise to find out if we want to upgrade and how much we're willing to spend. It's that knowing no of shuffling that creates the openings to fill the "guarantees" for others.

Forgot to mention that on some rare occasions the upgrades can be free or you can be offered an upgrade AND cash if you're willing to change cruises. 

Because we book far in advance and Intercontinental air plus other pre/post arrangements are in the mix, the "cruise switch" has never appealed to us.

And we've turned down a free upgrade or two (B to A) because of location.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

18 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

With our TA, the TA perks are in the email used to forward us the invoice...something like "I am providing gratuities, or $XXX in Shipboard credit"  where the amount or combination depends on the cruise price, cabin level, and cruise length.  This perk is not on the invoice if comes from the TA."  We have sometime had gratuity as a group amenity, but that is a joint TA/Oceania deal, and it shows on the invoice.  You should check with you TA as to what specific perk he/she is providing

We always get 2 invoices; one from the cruise line with their pricing and a different one from our TA showing the additional perks they are providing including the rebate and any other amenities.

You should always get both to make sure you are getting what was promised.  For instance on one cruise our TA got us OBC but, upon boarding it wasn't shown on the ships information as it should have been.  A quick email to our TA and the dollars were shown on our account the next day.  Without that separate invoice might have been a problem

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rallydave said:

We always get 2 invoices; one from the cruise line with their pricing and a different one from our TA showing the additional perks they are providing including the rebate and any other amenities.

You should always get both to make sure you are getting what was promised.  For instance on one cruise our TA got us OBC but, upon boarding it wasn't shown on the ships information as it should have been.  A quick email to our TA and the dollars were shown on our account the next day.  Without that separate invoice might have been a problem

Absolutely!

The "paper trail" rules (even when they're PDFs on your iPhone (of course, with a USB stick backup AND a hard copy in your always-ready SNAFU folder).

I once had an extra TA perk missing at embarkation. Wrote an email to the TA AND showed the TA invoice (plus our original email exchange) to the Exec Concierge. Fixed the next AM.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Is this still about getting the best deal?

It is sounding more and more like a testosterone driven game of ¿Quién es más macho?.

Making sure that you are attentive to detail and receive what was promised has zero to do with "macho." 

Sounds like someone needs to reread their dogeared dusty copy of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance."

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Making sure that you are attentive to detail and receive what was promised has zero to do with "macho." 

Sounds like someone needs to reread their dogeared dusty copy of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance."

Perhaps I do-

Yet it is worth noting that repeated posts related to ones own efficiency and competence can read as boastful.

7 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Perhaps I do-

Yet it is worth noting that repeated posts related to ones own efficiency and competence can read as boastful.

Conversely, and particularly appropriate to Internet forums, some points of information need repetition using varied examples. Why?

Some participants never read back in comments; others need clarification and still others haven't got a clue. 

Then there's those who, sadly, respond to a post with misinformation or, fortunately, add another element of importance for consideration. 

Perhaps there's a few academics perusing this discussion. I trust that my comment will ring a familiar cord with them.

22 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I realize the damage has already been done, but just a suggestion for future encounters with a potential TA, ALWAYS ask what specific perks they will give you BEFORE you make the deal. But if their response includes "perhaps" or some other noncommittal offer, walk away and find one that KNOWS what their agency will offer. Our first TA was like that and we have since moved on to one that knows the specifics. Just for reference, here's what ours offers (which they also post on their website):

HAL - 10% cruise fare discount

Oceania - 11% rebate check + OBC

Princess - 10% cruise fare discount
Celebrity - 10% nonrefundable OBC

Silversea - 10% rebate check

Disney - 10% cruise fare discount

RCCL - 8% nonrefundable OBC

BTW these are not uncommon perks among the larger travel agencies, but also notice they are not the same. Some are cruise fare discounts while others may be in the form of a rebate check right before sailing or OBC, some refundable and some nonrefundable. These differences I'm told are based on the specific contract an agency has with a particular cruise line.

But the bottom line is shop around as these cruises aren't cheap and there are a bunch of travel agencies to choose from. A good travel agency will know what specific perks they can offer you to attract your business without giving you a wishy-washy response upfront. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

On 12/31/2019 at 10:47 AM, Wishing on a star said:

Well   here is how the game goes...  You  interview    and find if they give rebates,  how they base their OBC. and what benifits they can give.  Do they put together group sailings  which you can join.   You explain  ,your looking for a long term relation . You give the agent a annual travel budget which you will be spending  every year  with  the agent you select.    You book  and demonstrate your loyalty.    You are not looking at low cost mass market trips   You show that your a "cash Cow" ,someone the agent will value over a one time bargain hunter.   You have to demonstrate your loyalty.      I have been with the same agent for 20 years....  believe  me it gets better and better.     No agent is going to do miracles for a first time customer...  search nation wide   I live in CA   my agent is in TX  !   Ok

• Like 2

Funny!!!!!  : )

I am def not looking for miracles....   Just a really good agent who will upfront offer the basics that any good OCC agent would.

For some of us, gratuities and maybe some OBC can make a real difference!

When I read you last info, makes me wonder if the agent we have contacted is with the same agency as yours!

I have rarely pay the price that Oceania lists on the website, or will quote you if you call.  I do not get a 'rebate' after the fact but I get an agent who is aware of hidden sales / deals and will lower the price of my cruise without any prompting on my part.  My two upcoming cruises are currently waitlisted, yet still, I am paying much lower than the 'cruise only' fare and I have O-life.  It that better than a rebate?   I don't know, but I am satisfied with what I get.   And most importantly, she was able to pull a rabbit out of a hat when I really needed it and has earned my loyalty because of that.