master list of getting on Great Stirrup Cay or not

luckyinpa

17 hours ago, mking8288 said:

5 different ships, 6 successful tender out of 10 scheduled ... over a span of 20 year, Spring, Fall & Winter.  Regardless, IMHO, stats itself are meaningless and useless.  

Don't forget to keep track of wind speed/direction on those failed ones - see if it can validate the bad ones are due to the north wind at/near the Berry Islands. 

Agree.  Past stats won't tell you anything about future chances of being able to tender.  It's as futile as asking about past weather.

It's unfortunate though that such a nice stop is a tender port.

2 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Made it to GSC only once while it was being renovated/reconstructed ... (snipped) 2011 on the Jewel ... Will we make it on the Bliss in January? You will know before me and post if you are following the ship.😁 I am not even bothering to get up early and wait by the tender doors...

Haha, probably most of us will find out about the same time ... yes, I should find time to "stalk" the Bliss sailing as well as the Gem's Panama crossing, since some of the hard core CC "addicts" are on one or the other (aside from meatball_nyc and Dexddd, etc. - we get to sit in the cyber penalty box to lurk)

Another CC'er @blcruising just saw Bliss inventory "opened up" overnight - took me a while to get into NCL's booking site for a mock last minute booking run - nope - nothing available once you click it, sold out or not available.  We are grounded this month for sure, no can't do - we will just have to try to catch up on another cruise, sooner or later.  

We made it last month, Bliss made it once and cancelled once last month - good luck.  Just enjoy that morning and make good use of that Priority tendering option to get to #1 and wait for the ship to come to full stop first ... keep your eyes on Ch. 21 and 22 for navigational updates - send RJ out to the balcony with binoculars to see if RCL has their ship next door ... (oops, they got the pier nowadays.)  

If we don't get to chat with you again before your sailing, bon voyage - happy & safe sailing this Sunday ... someone's (besides me) got to do some random, semi-live update and upload some pictures, maybe afterward ?? 

22 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Haha, probably most of us will find out about the same time ... yes, I should find time to "stalk" the Bliss sailing as well as the Gem's Panama crossing, since some of the hard core CC "addicts" are on one or the other (aside from meatball_nyc and Dexddd, etc. - we get to sit in the cyber penalty box to lurk)

Another CC'er @blcruising just saw Bliss inventory "opened up" overnight - took me a while to get into NCL's booking site for a mock last minute booking run - nope - nothing available once you click it, sold out or not available.  We are grounded this month for sure, no can't do - we will just have to try to catch up on another cruise, sooner or later.  

We made it last month, Bliss made it once and cancelled once last month - good luck.  Just enjoy that morning and make good use of that Priority tendering option to get to #1 and wait for the ship to come to full stop first ... keep your eyes on Ch. 21 and 22 for navigational updates - send RJ out to the balcony with binoculars to see if RCL has their ship next door ... (oops, they got the pier nowadays.)  

If we don't get to chat with you again before your sailing, bon voyage - happy & safe sailing this Sunday ... someone's (besides me) got to do some random, semi-live update and upload some pictures, maybe afterward ?? 

Yes I have friends on the Gem PC sailing from and back to NY....we almost were deciding to book that cruise, but RJ was being indecisive and then the price went up. When the price came down we were already booked on the Bliss.

I saw that inventory opened up up nothing to book once you clicked. We will miss you in person, but will be in touch online😁. Purchased the unlimited last night and it gave a 15% discount if done online.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that we make it to GSC. It was the same story with Royal's Coco Cay,  but now have been there twice since the dock opened. Love it!

Thank you for the bon voyage wishes. I cannot even come a million miles close to your reviews and pictures and the details! But  I will give you my humble thoughts.

I still have 4 FCC's .......any suggestions? Not getting any more this time till I use these.

Sorry posters if I have bored you.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

... Purchased the unlimited last night and it gave a 15% discount if done online.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that we make it to GSC. It was the same story with Royal's Coco Cay,  but now have been there twice since the dock opened. Love it! ... still have 4 FCC's .......any suggestions? Not getting any more this time till I use these ... 

PC crossing is definitely now on our bucket list, probably not 2020 but for sure, 2021 - especially now that we are early retirees with far fewer worries.  There's a chance that we might do the Encore this year, if we find/come across a decent or reasonable deal - don't need/care for the race track.  Otherwise, thinking of the Joy when it come to NY next year since it's a slightly different design - probably going to get the entire "gang" to go together, early planning is likely.  With double CN promo, that will easily use up our pool of FCC among 4 of us. Hmmm, you sailed Royal recently, twice ... ooookay, it's closer with Cape Liberty, one of the dancing niece's favorite line but she's talk us to checkout Princess ... 20 days RT out of LAX to Hawaii/4 islands and back. 

Anyway, if you are going to be online at sea, we will be following along for GSC ... do you have that "Windy" App loaded, helpful to keep track of forecast & conditions while at sea.  Not going to jinx anything in that crystal ball.  

Edited by mking8288

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

PC crossing is definitely now on our bucket list, probably not 2020 but for sure, 2021 - especially now that we are early retirees with far fewer worries.  There's a chance that we might do the Encore this year, if we find/come across a decent or reasonable deal - don't need/care for the race track.  Otherwise, thinking of the Joy when it come to NY next year since it's a slightly different design - probably going to get the entire "gang" to go together, early planning is likely.  With double CN promo, that will easily use up our pool of FCC among 4 of us. Hmmm, you sailed Royal recently, twice ... ooookay, it's closer with Cape Liberty, one of the dancing niece's favorite line but she's talk us to checkout Princess ... 20 days RT out of LAX to Hawaii/4 islands and back. 

Anyway, if you are going to be online at sea, we will be following along for GSC ... do you have that "Windy" App loaded, helpful to keep track of forecast & conditions while at sea.  Not going to jinx anything in that crystal ball.  

Yes we have done many on Royal out of NJ and Florida. NCL and Royal both tie for our second best cruise line... Cannot touch Celebrity which is our #1.

We did the Hawaii RT LA on Princess and LOVED it.  You have to listen to your dancing niece about that one! Trust me! They "bring" Hawaii on to the ship! We are looking at going again....and again......and again.😁

No I do not have the Windy app. Will take a look, thanks.

I think we are 3 out of 5 tries. The last time we waited for 90 minutes in the tender line, finally made it to the tender, it started raining, as the tender reached the island, so we went to the pavilion and tried to eat. Everyone used it for shelter, we were there about 45 minutes and they ordered us back to the ship.  Still raining, ended up on the top deck, got soaked. Oh Well, back to the bar, had a few drinks and all was good. I always look forward to GSC, really like the food and beverage are included.Next trip we got to Harvest Caye, which will be our first time.

01/2009 Pearl NO - diverted to Key West

12/2009 Jewel NO - sea day

12/2015 Spirit YES, but had to be evacuated in the afternoon due to a sudden tropical storm (we literally couldn’t see the ship from our cabana)

01/2019 Epic NO - sea day

02/2020 Breakaway ???

10 hours ago, jingle5616 said:

I'm zero for 12!  I've come to believe GSC is not real and just a marketing picture for NCL!  I get another chance this month, but have warned my cruisemates we won't be stopping!  

shazzam 0 for 12, your the winner for sure!  Isnt NCL building a dock over there at GSC to prevent this situation in the future?  I bet the employees over at GSC love it when the ship cant come in, at least I know I would because I hate to work.  It would just be a play day for the employees.

Edited by Newleno

Ive been lucky with GSC.  5x, only 1 miss, and 1 total reroute thanks to Hurricane Dorian.

April, 2014 -  Breakaway - YES

December, 2018 - Escape - YES

April, 2019 - Dawn - NO (winds/rough sea, extra day in Nassau (yuck!)

August, 2019 - Sky - NO (dorian reroute, sent us to cozumel)

November, 2019 - Breakaway - YES

1/1 -  Easter week (April) 2019- Getaway

We got on the 3rd tender..after a woman with a baby had a melt down about having to wait and almost started a riot... it was amusing to watch, tho !

I see what happens in 40 days when we go there on the Breakaway.