NCL increased room service fee?

Lionkingrichard

3 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

It literally says "charges may apply" on your link. Google has several sources all saying the same as my link. Did you go on a carnival cruise in 2019 having first hand knowledge that multiple sources are wrong? 

If you look right below that you'll see "Free menu available from 6:00 AM - 10:00 PM" and if you click on the menu you'll see the free menu items. In January of 2019 they started charging for room service but then reversed it. I did go on a Carnival Cruise in 2019 and room service was free, I ordered a rueben and cheesecake, it was free.

I don't know what better source you can get than Carnivals website.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, lizord said:

If you look right below that you'll see "Free menu available from 6:00 AM - 10:00 PM" and if you click on the menu you'll see the free menu items. In January of 2019 they started charging for room service but then reversed it. I did go on a Carnival Cruise in 2019 and room service was free, I ordered a rueben and cheesecake, it was free.

I don't know what better source you can get than Carnivals website.

If you've been you know more than me I guess. As I was looking around after your post and I found menus on their website and they daytime one has a whole section titled "a little $ a lot yummy" which I would say means they charge money but 🤷🏻‍♀️

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2248/~/24-hour-room-service

2 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

This is one fee increase I won't bemoan. 

You can't turn a corner without finding a place to eat on these ships, and you also need to tie on the feed bag in your room? Then pay up. Otherwise squeeze yourself into some sweatpants and waddle up to the buffet. 

Don't care what the fee is, the day I need room service is the day I stop cruising.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Not sure which cruise line you are going to run to. Most charge for room service.  

On our Alaskan cruise with Holland America this past June the room service was free 24/7 as it is with all their cruises.  It came in very handy the day we were cruising Glacier Bay.  There was also a welcome gift on our bed on embarkation day and at the Mariner Lunch we were served delicious food and also given a free gift.  The Mariner Lunch puts a Latitudes Party to shame. 

In my opinion, Norwegian's Freestyle Cruising has become the no-style or class cruising.  My cruise with Holland reminded me of how special a cruise experience can and should be.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

This is one fee increase I won't bemoan. 

You can't turn a corner without finding a place to eat on these ships, and you also need to tie on the feed bag in your room? Then pay up. Otherwise squeeze yourself into some sweatpants and waddle up to the buffet. 

There should also be a $500 fee for the disgusting pigs who leave their dirty trays and dishes in the hallway. 

I agree, I find it disgusting when I see all those dirty dishes on the hallway floor.  Hope, the keep raising the fee to deter people from ordering room service,     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mom2kmo said:

I agree, I find it disgusting when I see all those dirty dishes on the hallway floor.  Hope, the keep raising the fee to deter people from ordering room service,     

I agree. Another thing to consider. There are people with walkers and wheelchairs. Dirty dishes in the way cause additional problems that should not exist.

Edited by trummy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

On our Alaskan cruise with Holland America this past June the room service was free 24/7 as it is with all their cruises.  It came in very handy the day we were cruising Glacier Bay.  There was also a welcome gift on our bed on embarkation day and at the Mariner Lunch we were served delicious food and also given a free gift.  The Mariner Lunch puts a Latitudes Party to shame. 

In my opinion, Norwegian's Freestyle Cruising has become the no-style or class cruising.  My cruise with Holland reminded me of how special a cruise experience can and should be.

The Latitudes party is just NCL giving people a treat for being good boys and girls, I never see those things as parties. A bunch of stale appetizers, people fighting to get their drinks even though they have the drinking package along with selling and more selling, I stopped going to those 3 years ago. I used to like room service on the days i just wanted to sit on my balcony and enjoy some quiet time 🙂. We are doing 2 more cruises on NCL and then taking a pause. We still have 2 cruise next certificates that we may either sell or transfer them to friends and/or family.

Edited by spanishguy1970

15 hours ago, Lionkingrichard said:

Did this change on the first?

Logged into my upcoming cruise and this was showing in the Explore and Plan options!

Room Service

Dine in after a day at the pool. Or treat yourself to a continental breakfast in bed. Choose from an extensive menu with complimentary and a la carte items fea ...

• Room Service Fee of $9.95 USD may apply.

They are ridiculous! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lizord said:

What do you do with your room service dishes? Call room service/ cabin steward ?

NCL very explicitly instructs people NOT to leave their dirty dishes in the hall. You can call to have them cleared or just wait until the next time your cabin steward makes up your room (since they do that twice a day anyway). The hallways on ships are already impossibly narrow, especially considering how many carts have to come through for housekeeping and how many passengers require wheelchairs or scooters. And I do agree that it is just gross to have to see/dodge people's dirty dishes and half-eaten leftovers just sitting on the floor as you are passing through. The worst for me though was when someone left their dirty dishes and leftovers in front of MY door on my sailing last April. I don't mean near my door or across the hall or anything, I mean directly in front of/up against MY door.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Why doesn’t NCL just do away from room service? That’s what they are attempting to do anyhow with those prices. Sure, there will be a few foolish souls that will pay that for some cold crappy food that will take forever to get to their room. 

Wow.   Are you going for the record for being the most offensive in a single sentence?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

We used HAL's room service quite a bit in Alaska. Due to the time difference, we were up around 4 every morning and enjoyed coffee and pastries from room service. One night, I had twisted my ankle pretty badly and it was nice to be able to order off the dining room menu and have it brought to the room. It's not always about being too lazy to go to one of the restaurants. I don't think I'd pay for room service too often though.

10 hours ago, smplybcause said:

If you've been you know more than me I guess. As I was looking around after your post and I found menus on their website and they daytime one has a whole section titled "a little $ a lot yummy" which I would say means they charge money but 🤷🏻‍♀️

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2248/~/24-hour-room-service

From your link, notice that from 6am - 10pm room service has free items. Their reuben is awesome.

12 hours ago, AlexandNessa said:

OMG, we were in the Haven last month (Bliss) and ordered 2 plates of chicken fingers with fries. Out came 2 hard chicken fingers on each plate with like a dozen potato chips. I asked for fries twice when ordering so didn't feel bad about having the night butler make it right, but we both said had we paid for the sad display, we'd have been TICKED. 

Thank you for your post.  I was just going to ask if Haven rooms pay for Room Service. Reading your post, I see they still do not pay.  Last I sailed in Haven was two years ago so wasn't sure if any changes.  Sailing Encore in August and cannot wait!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, js said:

Thank you for your post.  I was just going to ask if Haven rooms pay for Room Service. Reading your post, I see they still do not pay.  Last I sailed in Haven was two years ago so wasn't sure if any changes.  Sailing Encore in August and cannot wait!

Haven pays up front.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, smplybcause said:

It literally says "charges may apply" on your link. Google has several sources all saying the same as my link. Did you go on a carnival cruise in 2019 having first hand knowledge that multiple sources are wrong? 

They apply unless you are in Haven or suite on smaller class ships

1 hour ago, trummy said:

Haven pays up front.

Thanks.

Quite honestly, I would rather pay upfront for all and be done with it.

But, many, many don't and that is the reason we all get to pick and choose what is important to us.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, trummy said:

From your link, notice that from 6am - 10pm room service has free items. Their reuben is awesome.

True, but not all of the menu is free. They don't show prices (probably so they can vary it by ship/sailing), but I wouldn't be surprised if ordering 2 or more items from the pay side adds up to what NCL charges. 

29 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

True, but not all of the menu is free. They don't show prices (probably so they can vary it by ship/sailing), but I wouldn't be surprised if ordering 2 or more items from the pay side adds up to what NCL charges. 

I was on the Nov 10, 2019 sailing of Carnival Glory. The following is EXACTLY what room service entailed. My husband and I both had Ruebens, Chips and Cheesecake for the price of a $2 tip.

Mass hysteria among Carnival fan recently developed when Carnival announced it would begin to charge for room service.  After a quick backtrack, Carnival announced that they were not going to charge for most room service after all.  Instead, if you order room service between the hours of 10PM and 6AM, you’ll pay between $2 – $6 for late night menu items.  And there are up-charge menu items to select during the day, too.  https://cruisemaven.com/cruise-ship-room-service-fee-2019/

Edited by trummy

From our 3 most recent NCL cruises last year (2019) - we've seen very few plates, dishes & room service trays "littering" the hallways & corridors.  But, we've seen scattered - discarded - coffee cups, drink glasses & alike around the staircase landings or by the elevators ... not a major "hazards" but more of an eyesore.  Apparently, crew members aren't picking them up on a frequent basis as part of their expected "routines" ... room stewards, on duty from 8 or 9 to about 2 pm, then from 6 to 9 pm (mostly finished "early" & gone on most nights when we get back from dinner and/or early shows, etc.) 

We leave those goodies tray, covered plates and cups, etc. inside our stateroom for the RS to remove during her/his next round of servicing our cabin ... put a napkin over them & it looked fine.  

Among the assorted info-notices and junk announcements/inserts included with the Freestyle Dailies, NCL can simply put a graphics reminder for all guests to leave the dirty plates, cups & dishes inside the stateroom, to be picked up; and, not to dump them outside in the hallway as hazards.  When we ordered room services at land-based hotels/resorts - a placard asked/informed us to leave it in the room or call them for a pickup ... problems solved.  

• Like 1