Random questions about my upcoming April canary cruise

Vampiress88

7 hours ago, DamianG said:

Every time we have been to Lanzarote with P&O they have docked at Los Marmoles. It does not look an easy walk from there to Arrecife centre but P&O will put on shuttle buses that drop-off on the outskirts then you can walk down the promenade (or there are taxis at the drop-off point if you need them).

There is a beach but it does not have any toilets or changing facilities (at least it didn't when we were there a few years back).

In the past we've taken a taxi from the port to take our son to Puerto del Carmen and also to Rancho Texas:  https://ranchotexaslanzarote.com/von/newshop/tickets?lang=1

I'd definitely recommend the latter for a good day out with kids (taxi was €23 when we went).

We did the taxi trip to Puerto del Carmen too for a change from Arrecife and enjoyed it.

For Tenerife we always get a taxi to Puerto de la Cruz.

The taxi's are next to the ship and you negotiate a price €100-€120.per taxi and takes about 35 minutes.

Taxi takes us to Puerto de la Cruz centre(McDonald's is a good spot) and we arrange a time to go back to the ship and the taxi comes back for that time.We pay the taxi when we get back to the ship.

Edited by grapau27

1 hour ago, P-L-B said:

Sorry should have done the maths. :classic_blush:

That’s unusual as a 14 night cruise usually has 4 formal nights. :classic_unsure:

We now know Iona will only have one per week, maybe all the family friendly ones will also go down to 3 on a 14 day cruise, then possibly Aurora and Arcadia will pick up the extra ones?:classic_wacko:

Just a note about the formal nights, on our Canary cruise the first formal night should have been the first sea day but as the Bay was a bit rough it was changed to the second night as many people stayed in their cabins! (we were fine!) This was a sea day also anyway. Tropical night is a smart casual night and Black and White one of the formals.

Also re the entertainment I'm afraid you won't know until you see the daily paper "Horizon" each night.

4 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Also re the entertainment I'm afraid you won't know until you see the daily paper "Horizon" each night.

Have P&O stopped providing the entertainment schedule for the cruise with the welcome documentation, this along with the nightly dress code, and each evening's buffet theme we found very useful in deciding which Headliners shows, and which Guest Artists we wanted to see.  As well as helping us to decide if we could skip one of the formal nights and enjoy a curry in the buffet.

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Have P&O stopped providing the entertainment schedule for the cruise with the welcome documentation, this along with the nightly dress code, and each evening's buffet theme we found very useful in deciding which Headliners shows, and which Guest Artists we wanted to see.  As well as helping us to decide if we could skip one of the formal nights and enjoy a curry in the buffet.

that would be great for us. How do we get one. 
I’ve been on two cruises in 2012 and 2019 and never got one of these but thought I must have missed something as I usually can’t find things. 

did they send it you through the post? 

plus aren’t you on the same cruise in April. If you get one then could you let me know. 
really want to see that paradise city one but I’m gonna take a guess an say it won’t be on 

20 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

that would be great for us. How do we get one. 
I’ve been on two cruises in 2012 and 2019 and never got one of these but thought I must have missed something as I usually can’t find things. 

did they send it you through the post? 

plus aren’t you on the same cruise in April. If you get one then could you let me know. 
really want to see that paradise city one but I’m gonna take a guess an say it won’t be on 

It is normally in your cabin when you board, in the welcome pack, it is a fairly recent innovation so you would not have received one in 2012, but should have last year, unless your cruise was only a short one.

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It is normally in your cabin when you board, in the welcome pack, it is a fairly recent innovation so you would not have received one in 2012, but should have last year, unless your cruise was only a short one.

It was a week one last year. 

unless my husband did his usual of reading it and putting it away usually somewhere I’d never think to look. 
we found out all the stuff in the daily one for the shows etc. 

do you think that places will still be open on the Easter Sunday in Tenerife? 

also according to p&o website it says we don’t leave Tenerife till 11pm! 
if that’s the case I think we would probably have dinner on shore if it’s open. Try something new. 
ive never left a port so late. 

14 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

unless my husband did his usual of reading it and putting it away usually somewhere I’d never think to look. 

if that’s the case I think we would probably have dinner on shore if it’s open. Try something new. 

Sundays in the Canaries are generally very quiet, and the Spanish are quite religious so Easter might see lots of places closed.

My wife uses a wheelchair and Santa Cruz town has steep streets leading up from the seafront, so we have never explored it in detail, and it's much easier for us to dine on board, so no idea about restaurants.

3 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

We did a week cruise to the Fjords in 2018, and this was in our Welcome on board pack.  As terrierjohn says, gives you an idea for the journey ahead.

IMG_0180.jpg

nope never seen anything like that. That would have been handy. I wish we could have this before we get on board. I know we can’t as it will be only finalised at the last minute I guess just in case anything goes wrong but even if I just knew the list of shows on that cruise I’d be happy. Just don’t wanna repeat things I’ve already seen. Although I’m not sure if the kids will remember it all so might do. 

I can honestly say I’ve never seen that list like that! In the pack there used to be a sheet (easily missed) with the dress codes for the week but I haven’t seen one with the entertainment in advance! If it’s hidden away I might not have looked. Last year we did Princess instead of P&O . I’ll look forward to that next time - very handy!

5 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

If it’s late that’s probably tropical night when men can wear their Hawaiian shirts and ladies wear bright colours. On our Canaries cruise we left Tenerife at 11pm and we had a deck party as we left port.

2 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

That sheet was on Azura in 2018, and we had a similar one on Ventura for a 4 night cruise in February 19.  Just thought it was normal?

hubby didn’t see one either so maybe we didn’t get one 

11 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

That sheet was on Azura in 2018, and we had a similar one on Ventura for a 4 night cruise in February 19.  Just thought it was normal?

I think it is hit and miss, depending on the CD. 

Haven't seen one on our last couple, but did before. 

Andy 

• Like 1

We had one on Arcadia in September. It was a 24 day cruise and it was very useful to help decide when to plan shows or a quiet evening. We also got the list of dress codes and evening buffet themes.

I was also going to make P+O Sue's point about the possibility of the formal evenings being changed to take account of bad weather. We once had one very rough day crossing the Bay and the formal night was re-arranged as a result.

Edited by Slugsta
clarification

On 1/6/2020 at 6:03 PM, terrierjohn said:

I am assuming that the P&O info is correct and there will only be 3 formal nights. I would guess the first will be on day 2, second probably the sea day before Cadiz and the third the day after Lisbon.

If you booked a select fare you will get shuttles free where they are needed  if a saver fare then you will be charged, approx £5pp, except Tenerife which has a free port provided shuttle.

we have booked the saver fare 

are there any ports in which we will really need the shuttles? Otherwise it will be £30 there and back. If possible I really don’t wanna spend much money. 

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

we have booked the saver fare 

are there any ports in which we will really need the shuttles? Otherwise it will be £30 there and back. If possible I really don’t wanna spend much money. 

Madeira is walkable, it's about 1 mile around to the central promenade area.

La Palma is walkable, but I think there is a free port shuttle to take you from the ship to the port gates.

Tenerife has a free port shuttle around to the terminal building.

Las Palmas is walkable and there is a lovely beach and promenade at Las Canteras about a mile away.

Lanzarote can be walked if the berth is on the town side of the harbour, but a taxi ride into town will probably only cost about €10 total.

Cadiz berthed in town.

Lisbon should be berthed at the new cruise terminal which is about half a mile walk to Praca do Comercio.

So only Lanzarote needs transport and €20 should cover your taxi fares.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Madeira is walkable, it's about 1 mile around to the central promenade area.

La Palma is walkable, but I think there is a free port shuttle to take you from the ship to the port gates.

Tenerife has a free port shuttle around to the terminal building.

Las Palmas is walkable and there is a lovely beach and promenade at Las Canteras about a mile away.

Lanzarote can be walked if the berth is on the town side of the harbour, but a taxi ride into town will probably only cost about €10 total.

Cadiz berthed in town.

Lisbon should be berthed at the new cruise terminal which is about half a mile walk to Praca do Comercio.

So only Lanzarote needs transport and €20 should cover your taxi fares.

thanks John. 
might just follow you round all cruise 😂sounds like you know where your going, I’m most likely going to get lost 

2 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

Yes, his name comes up on lots of groups.  Perhaps join the ship specific group and look for his post in there.  I have a couple for my cruise at Easter to Bruges and Spain as well as Iona.

Yes, join the Ventura group. I could give his name out, but I think that would be unfair.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/7/2020 at 11:39 AM, Vampiress88 said:

On a normal Sunday most of the shops in Santa Cruz are closed, although some of those aimed primarily at tourists are open. There is however, a large street market adjacent to the "mother africa" market. Do not know whether this will be open on Easter Sunday.