Is Anthem will skip San Jose due to Puerto Rico earthquake

Hello,

My parents are on Anthem of the Sea right now going to San Juan. Went to RCI website to see if there any changes in itinerary -nothing there.  They supposed to arrive in San Juan tomorrow at 3 pm. Wanted to know if that is as planned. Does anyone knows? Hope everyone is ok on the ship - probably they were too far away yet to experience the earthquake..

Thank you,

20 minutes ago, newone17 said:

Hello,

My parents are on Anthem of the Sea right now going to San Juan. Went to RCI website to see if there any changes in itinerary -nothing there.  They supposed to arrive in San Juan tomorrow at 3 pm. Wanted to know if that is as planned. Does anyone knows? Hope everyone is ok on the ship - probably they were too far away yet to experience the earthquake..

Thank you,

Changes once the ship sails, will be announced on he ship. By the time anyone here knows about it, the change would have already happened.  People on the ship, probably were also last to know their was an earthquake.  Only those glued to their phones would know.  The likelihood of them felling the earthquake would be slim, since they are on the water.  Shock waves could rock the ship when it causes larger waves, but there was a giant land mass blocking it.  (other side of PR was the center)

The situation in Puerto Rico is worse than you believe.  There have been multiple aftershocks; one which knocked the 2 main power plants off line, shutting down power to the entire country.  The airport remains open on generator power. They hope to restore power by noon today.  Hopefully things will be back to normal, but I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow's port call at San Juan is cancelled.

• Like 1

Much of the island currently has no power. It is hard to say how long it will be without. We have a few friends that work at the airport in San Juan and my best friend's dad lives just outside of San Juan. They are all currently without power, not wanting to start running generators yet since they don't yet know how long they will be without.

We used to live on an island with a similar power structor to Puerto Rico and it doesn't take a lot for the power to be down for several days. Hopefully they will have everything up and running soon but it is good to be aware of possible problems. 

Oasis is there tomorrow as well.  I was on that itinerary last month.  Both Oasis and Anthem arrive afternoon so it'll likely be a game day decision.  Anthem has to sail in that direction anyways so not a big difference for us if the call is made to skip San Juan.  

4 hours ago, Barklee said:

There have been multiple aftershocks; one which knocked the 2 main power plants off line, shutting down power to the entire country.

Just to be clear, PR is a Commonwealth territory of the US and not a country. I know that matters not when it comes to matters of the aftermath of the tremors the island has felt over the last several days, but I do like to point that out because there are a lot of people in the US that don't realize the PR is apart of the US.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

There’s a lot of damage on the other side and power is out everywhere.   They said it could be a few weeks before they get power to the entire island.  

Power was cut as a safeguard to the grid.  They announced they are re-activating power today.  

Granted there may be areas in the south close to the quake that don't come on today.

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

Power was cut as a safeguard to the grid.  They announced they are re-activating power today.  

Granted there may be areas in the south close to the quake that don't come on today.

Huh. The news said weeks.  But I just read this.    

it’s a shame what PR is going through.  I hope our government helps more than what’s been done so far.  But that’s another forum. Lol.  

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/puerto-rico-earthquake-strong-quake-knocks-out-power-island-wide-today-2020-01-07-live-updates/

20 hours ago, RocCruisers said:

We'll be going to Ponce PR next month on the Serenade.  I'm sure it will take 30 days before a decision is made for that port. 

While San Juan looks to be just fine, having seen some pictures of the area around Ponce makes me think you will skip the port.  Most of the earthquakes were very near some of the best beach area of the south of Puerto Rico, and I bet it will take some time to clean that up.  And some of the areas around Ponce seem to be damaged as well- just saw a CBS report showing a large crack in the ground, and it was a cool relaxing area call La Guancha- which is really, really close to the port where the ship will dock. Which tells me there's a good possibility of port damage.

In theory, we will visit the area next week for personal reasons, and hope to have some good news.  But I really don't see porting in Ponce as a thing that will happen in the short term.

5 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

While San Juan looks to be just fine, having seen some pictures of the area around Ponce makes me think you will skip the port.  Most of the earthquakes were very near some of the best beach area of the south of Puerto Rico, and I bet it will take some time to clean that up.  And some of the areas around Ponce seem to be damaged as well- just saw a CBS report showing a large crack in the ground, and it was a cool relaxing area call La Guancha- which is really, really close to the port where the ship will dock. Which tells me there's a good possibility of port damage.

In theory, we will visit the area next week for personal reasons, and hope to have some good news.  But I really don't see porting in Ponce as a thing that will happen in the short term.

I agree that Ponce will be cancelled, which is very sad.  According to cruise time tables, ours is one of two visits from cruise ships this year.  I'm sure many people were looking forward to an influx of $$, even if this is a rare occurance.  Please report back what your findings are.  Our sailing is the Serenade Feb 10.