Sunday Morning Church Service...

WoodstockGirl

I'm a little fuzzy but from what I can remember they don't have any scheduled services onboard.  It's up to the passengers to get something together like a Bible study or a Sunday service.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 2

This is from the Princess website:

We respect our guests' religious beliefs and invite them to practice on their own or with their fellow guests. Guests who wish to lead religious services may volunteer by contacting the Guest Services desk or a member of the Cruise Staff. In some cases, our shipboard staff will lead services. However, Princess Cruises does not place clergy on board our vessels.

Clergy traveling as Guests onboard our vessels are welcome to conduct services while sailing. They should leave their name, cabin number, and services offered at the Guest Services Desk and they will be contacted by a member of the Cruise Director's Staff. Approval of services will be made based on schedule suitability, appropriate onboard supplies, etc. Please bring your Letter of Celebret or Letter of Good Standing with you to provide to the onboard staff.

Please note that during Passover, there will be a Seder service (including Passover meal) held onboard. For Hanukkah, services are available and will be guest-led with wine, Challah bread, prayers and an electric Menorah (no candles or live flames) provided by Princess. Supplies are present and available for anyone who wants to lead the service at 5:30 PM on Friday evenings.

If you would like to bring on your own Menorah, you may. However, since candles are prohibited onboard all Princess ships, it must be electric (no live flame).

Interesting, as the three times we've been sailing on Princess on a Sunday morning, there has been a Sunday morning church service.

2 hours ago, tonit964 said:

This is from the Princess website:

We respect our guests' religious beliefs and invite them to practice on their own or with their fellow guests. Guests who wish to lead religious services may volunteer by contacting the Guest Services desk or a member of the Cruise Staff. In some cases, our shipboard staff will lead services. However, Princess Cruises does not place clergy on board our vessels.

Clergy traveling as Guests onboard our vessels are welcome to conduct services while sailing. They should leave their name, cabin number, and services offered at the Guest Services Desk and they will be contacted by a member of the Cruise Director's Staff. Approval of services will be made based on schedule suitability, appropriate onboard supplies, etc. Please bring your Letter of Celebret or Letter of Good Standing with you to provide to the onboard staff.

Please note that during Passover, there will be a Seder service (including Passover meal) held onboard. For Hanukkah, services are available and will be guest-led with wine, Challah bread, prayers and an electric Menorah (no candles or live flames) provided by Princess. Supplies are present and available for anyone who wants to lead the service at 5:30 PM on Friday evenings.

If you would like to bring on your own Menorah, you may. However, since candles are prohibited onboard all Princess ships, it must be electric (no live flame).

There may be a non-denomination service run by one of the crew. Time and location would be shown in the Princess Patter. I have seen this on some cruises. There is no set time and location, but I did notice it was early in the morning, maybe around 8am.

We were on the Crown Princess several years ago when there was a service held for Palm Sunday. It was led by a crew member who was also a Christian minister.

The service included readings from the Bible, hymns and a short talk given by the minister. It was held in the Explorer’s Lounge.

I thought it was  held because Palm Sunday is a significant day for Christians.

We have been on many other cruises where I do not recall that a Princess organized Sunday service was arranged for passengers.

As noted above, if a clergy member 

such as a priest, rabbi or minister is onboard and wishes to celebrate a service, it would be included in the Patter.

• Like 1

My wife is a United Methodist Pastor.  When we cruised she contacted someone on the staff; and they told her; she could conduct a Sunday Morning service; they provide the chapel, and she provided the bible and sermon.  To answer the question and the Princess quote; it is up the guests to have a Sunday service;  in Feb they had a catholic priest doing a service.

• Like 1

I have been afloat for Christmas (also a significant day for Christians) several times.  There have been Christmas carol opportunities, a Christmas choir (crew members)  and a Cruise Director led non-denominational service, but no clergy-led services, and certainly no Mass.  I don't think many clergy cruise during Christmas or Easter; they are in demand during the Holy Days.

I make up by going to Mass at the port either before or after Christmas.  

On 1/7/2020 at 12:42 PM, skynight said:

There may be a non-denomination service run by one of the crew. Time and location would be shown in the Princess Patter. I have seen this on some cruises. There is no set time and location, but I did notice it was early in the morning, maybe around 8am.

I think 8:30 sounds right. There has always been a service listed in the Patter on our cruises, but we don't always go. (We often sleep late.)

On 1/7/2020 at 6:47 PM, Mike45LC said:

I have been afloat for Christmas (also a significant day for Christians) several times.  There have been Christmas carol opportunities, a Christmas choir (crew members)  and a Cruise Director led non-denominational service, but no clergy-led services, and certainly no Mass.  I don't think many clergy cruise during Christmas or Easter; they are in demand during the Holy Days.

I make up by going to Mass at the port either before or after Christmas.  

One time we had a visiting pastor take charge. Two Christmas' ago we were on Pacific on Christmas, which was on a Sunday. They had the regular service. Princess provides a song sheet for hymns. We were disappointed in that the sheet provided was for a generic Sunday, with no Christmas hymns.

12 hours ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

One time we had a visiting pastor take charge. Two Christmas' ago we were on Pacific on Christmas, which was on a Sunday. They had the regular service. Princess provides a song sheet for hymns. We were disappointed in that the sheet provided was for a generic Sunday, with no Christmas hymns.

We were given sheets with Christmas Carols.  How disappointing for you!  I guess it varies (as always with Princess!!) depending on the Cruise Director, maybe.

Have been on 30+ Princess Cruises.  When Sunday is on a sea day, I can only recall one time that no Sunday service was available.  All services have been renewing and puts life into perspective while being in the middle of a huge ocean.  Was very disappointed when the one ship did not have a Sunday worship service.

I think of the ship as my hotel at sea.

I would not expect a hotel to hold religious services.

IF it did then that might be a bonus for those who wish to participate but not something to be "expected". It has nothing to do with producing revenue for the cruise line or not.

• Like 3

On board the Royal for two weeks last Summer in Alaska, a Sunday service was advertised both times at 8am. We went the first week. It was held in Princess Live and I would estimate that there were about 80 there. A member of the ents team introduced it and said over to you - a passenger needs to lead it. As it happened there were three pastors in the congregation and one came forward to lead. It was exceptional. Another member also sang a gospel song. 

On the Crown in October, the interdenominational church service began at 9 a.m. in Explorers Lounge. There wasn't one listed in the Patter on my cruise last month on the Caribbean. They had unhosted Bible studies every day in the wedding chapel. 

10 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

We were given sheets with Christmas Carols.  How disappointing for you!  I guess it varies (as always with Princess!!) depending on the Cruise Director, maybe.

I think we had carols provided on a previous cruise. I wondered if they missed it this time because Christmas fell on a Sunday that year.

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

You are correct, except when it comes to cruise lines.  It's all about money.  If a space or activity is not producing revenue, it is eliminated. 

Love your avatar, by the way.

While there is some monetary advantage in eliminating cabins at reduced fares for clergy, believe the issue is wider in scope and has more to do with how many different religions there are and how do you treat them all equally. You can't unless you have the current Princess policy. The same space and times, usually early morning when no other activities are scheduled are still used for passenger and crew for services. No change or loss of revenue there. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

You are correct, except when it comes to cruise lines.  It's all about money.  If a space or activity is not producing revenue, it is eliminated. 

Love your avatar, by the way.

Wondering how much revenue knitters and natters meetings bring in, I see it listed in the patter every day.  Trivia seems to happen multiple times throughout the day - must be a big money maker.   Wonder how much $$$ they are charging to see the shows these days...

• Like 1