Barcelona or Rome?

Peachypooh

We were on the EPIC in Sept.   We wanted to spend our pre-cruise days in Barcelona rather than Rome, so we flew into BCN.  It ended up being the perfect choice. We LOVED Barcelona and wished we had more time there ! Beautiful, walkable city, great food. ( boarding in Rome puts you in Barcelona on a Sunday when the Boqueria Market is closed).   BCN airport is about 20 minutes from downtown, about 30E, and about 15 minutes from the port. On your return there's a fixed fare of 39E from cruiseport to airport.

We stayed near Pl Catalunya which was a great location; 2 blocks from the Metro, or La Ramblas, and close to MANY restaurants, bars, stores.    I did a trip report ... look near the top of the posts under NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE , then go to SEE POSTS ABOUT and select Epic. 

As others have said  Rome is about an hr from the port, Civitavecchia.  Cheap to get there by train but a bit of a hassle to take a bus from the train stn to the port entrance then another bus to the ship.  BCN was much easier. 

LOVED Barcelona.  Will be back next year to spend a week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree Barcelona is a lovely pre cruise city and much more convenient for getting to the port than Rome. 

In addition many people who board in Rome feel they got on ‘mid cruise’  and as most people join in Barcelona they found many of the reservations were gone for the first 4 days until most passengers disembarked in Barcelona.

• Like 1

Barcelona is more convenient, but Rome far exceeds Barcelona for its history, art and culture.  Rome is far better for a pre-cruise visit.  However, you appear not to want to do a pre-cruise visit.  What a shame.

5 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

Is it more convenient to fly into Barcelona to cruise or Rome? We do

not plan on spending any time in Rome. This would be the Epic Western Mediterranean.

Thank you.

Barcelona is the primary embarkation port for the cruise. Rome secondary. The majority of guests embark in Barcelona (and therefore better room selection if you book early).  And the ship’s programming is kinda geared toward them. 

You can take a quick taxi ride from the airport to hotel then port in Barcelona. As pointed out, Rome is a long way from the port and you will have to arrange a transfer. Or deal with the train system on your own. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have sailed out of Barcelona many times, but have always avoided Rome as an embarkation port as it seemed to be quite a hassle to get to the port.

Last month, we finally sailed out of there, and it was certainly a pain, especially if you want to stop in the city on

the way (which you don’t seem as fussed about).

If you are just flying in then taking a transfer then it probably isn’t too bad, but it will still be quite expensive compared to Barcelona.

The only advantage I can think of about Rome is that there is a hotel right at the airport, if you do need to stay there the night before, whereas Barcelona involves transfers to get to the airport hotels.

• Like 1

I've done both and as everyone has said Barcelona is best.  Close to the airport and the Cruise terminal is literally at the end of La Rambla (very popular tourist street).  On my last TA I flew into Barcelona the day before and stayed on La Rambla (maybe 15 min taxi ride to hotel from airport). The next morning I walked 15 minutes down La Rambla & got onto a bus at the entrance of the Port that took me directly to the ship. Very Easy 🙂     Plus my favourite falafel place has a location in Barcelona - Visit Maoz Falafel if you get the chance 🙂 tiny hole in the wall, but delish! 

• Like 1

As Epic Western Med was our first jaunt out of the country (besides Caribbean/Bahamas) we decided to embark in Barcelona instead of Rome due to our concerns over getting to the port in Italy.  It was a great choice for us, as Barcelona was easy in, easy out, and we spent 2 days pre-cruise touring around this beautiful city.  We did a great tour in Rome (through NCL) and felt we had plenty of time to see what we wanted to.

We embarked out of Rome when we did this cruise a year and a half ago.  We flew in day of because we had been to Rome before and  were more interested in seeing Barcelona.  Our transfers from Rome to Civitavecchia were expensive, $85 per person each way.  However it was easy to get on and off the ship because far fewer embark and debark at Rome. This was the most pore intensive cruise we have ever been on.  We had a great time but it went by very fast.  

• Like 1

Another vote for Barcelona for ease and also easier vacation planning as you to manage you trip over two weekends so potentially fewer vacation days required. Pre cruise we had a fantastic Saturday, Saturday night and Sunday morning in Barcelona. Taxi to port was easy and under 15 euros. Ship shore excursion for Rome and the Vatican were excellent. 

• Thanks 1