Emotional support animals

Tom47

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am referring to animals in general.I had a friend who was murdered.His dog ,in its own way,helped the rest of the family.

Sorry, but when you said, see below, I just assumed you were referring to service animals:

Yes,but Service animals do not necessarily have to be on cruises.They are primarily in people’s homes.

1 hour ago, NLH Arizona said:

Service horses will be trained and work just like service dogs. Miniature horses are best known for providing a service as a guide animal where they help guide someone who is blind or has visual impairments. 

They are also used for people with balance/mobility issues.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Swampbabe said:

15 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I think my comment may have fallen through in a clease

33 minutes ago, Swampbabe said:

I have balance and mobility issues and nobody ever suggested that I get a miniature pony

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

I am in my ninth decade of life ,well educated and have never heard of a pony,horse,monkey or iguana helping a human with emotional issues.

You seem to be struggling mightily with the difference between an emotional support animal and a service animal. Dogs and miniature horses can be SERVICE animals, per the ADA.

My daughter works for a well respected service dog organization. The abuse of emotional support animals is a very real issue.

• Like 1

I am the OP.  I have no problem with service animals, including miniature horses, which I have never seen.  I don't approve of people who abuse ESA provisions.  People who bring Fifi  into the MDR and let Fifi eat off their plate disgust me.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I never have and to reiterate or iterate I have never heard of any animal except a human being nurturing a person other than a dog or a cat.

Miniature horses can be trained to perform the tasks that most services dogs do but the advantage they have is they have a longer working life than dogs so in someone's lifetime they can work out to be cheaper as they don't have to be replaced as often. As for ESAs horses in general have been found to be very effective with calming autistic kids and getting them to engage with the world. 

1 hour ago, Swampbabe said:

You seem to be struggling mightily with the difference between an emotional support animal and a service animal. Dogs and miniature horses can be SERVICE animals, per the ADA.

My daughter works for a well respected service dog organization. The abuse of emotional support animals is a very real issue.

I understand what you are saying.I am saying that I never heard of miniature horses being service animals.

I am a member of Friends Of Animals and I know that dogs are support animals.

46 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Miniature horses can be trained to perform the tasks that most services dogs do but the advantage they have is they have a longer working life than dogs so in someone's lifetime they can work out to be cheaper as they don't have to be replaced as often. As for ESAs horses in general have been found to be very effective with calming autistic kids and getting them to engage with the world. 

I accept what you are saying but I just never heard of it.

15 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Time to let it go. You’re obviously not grasping this too well. 

I understand everyone’s point but I never heard of it.I am sure that everyone who reacted to my posts does not know everything that exists in this world,correct ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom47 said:

I am the OP.  I have no problem with service animals, including miniature horses, which I have never seen.  I don't approve of people who abuse ESA provisions.  People who bring Fifi  into the MDR and let Fifi eat off their plate disgust me.

On a cruise recently there was an entertainer who came aboard with his poodle,Fiji.The two of them performed in the theater .One night they came with the entertainers wife into the MDR and Fifi was allowed to be at the table and ate food off a plate.

Everyone at my table could not believe that they would allow it.The same night,it was dress your best night ,a guy came in with a white tee shirt and white shorts.We were told that he was a famous actor.Two other guys came in wearing sweatsuits.

1 hour ago, Tom47 said:

Amen

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I understand what you are saying.I am saying that I never heard of miniature horses being service animals.

I am a member of Friends Of Animals and I know that dogs are support animals.

Are you saying it can't be true, or are you saying, "Huh, you learn something new every day"?

If it's the former, here's one link:

https://blog.mass.gov/mod/service-animals/miniature-horses-as-service-animals-under-the-americans-with-disabilities-act-ada/

Also here:

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Edited by Underwatr