Caronavirus - effect on A/NZ cruise market

Members of Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) — the body representing the global cruise industry, have suspended crew movements from mainland China and will deny boarding to anyone who has travelled from or through China within the previous 14 days.

“This includes the modification of itineraries, where needed, in light of evolving circumstances, as well as health, travel and contact screening where appropriate, for guests and crew who have recently travelled from or through the affected area,” CLIA said. “Screening protocols allow for informed decisions on a case-by-case basis whether a guest or crewmember will be denied boarding.”

Ships are no longer calling in at HK or Chinese ports, some lines are extending the time period to 30 days instead of the two weeks (for incubation). At least they (some lines) are offering full refunds for these passengers

16 hours ago, Pushka said:

Well that would be a bit tricky to get! Or is this for the measles. 

The issue will be when a cruise pax does actually get the virus and the whole ship gets quarantined and people can’t get off when disembarking. And then if another person gets it, there’s another 14 days. It is very problematical. Cruises in Asia in Feb are starting to be cancelled now. 

Its a bit ill-defined - form the smarttravel au website 

On 29 January 2020, Samoan authorities issued updated travel restrictions in response to the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) outbreak. You will need medical clearance, within 3 days before travelling, to check-in for flights to Samoa. This includes travelling or transiting (24 hours or more) through Australia or a country specified on the Samoan Ministry of Health website. Check with your airline or tour operator to confirm you meet all entry requirements.

41 minutes ago, lissie said:

Its a bit ill-defined - form the smarttravel au website 

On 29 January 2020, Samoan authorities issued updated travel restrictions in response to the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) outbreak. You will need medical clearance, within 3 days before travelling, to check-in for flights to Samoa. This includes travelling or transiting (24 hours or more) through Australia or a country specified on the Samoan Ministry of Health website. Check with your airline or tour operator to confirm you meet all entry requirements.

Given you can be developing coronavirus without symptoms then this requirement is almost impossible to achieve and I wonder how on earth a medical practioner could provide it.

US, Singapore and Solomon Islands impose strict travel restrictions.  Solomon Islands is banning entry to anyone who has travelled in a country (presently 25) where people have been confirmed to have the virus. 

This virus is worse than the SARS Epidemic. 

ABC News 

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

US, Singapore and Solomon Islands impose strict travel restrictions.  Solomon Islands is banning entry to anyone who has travelled in a country (presently 25) where people have been confirmed to have the virus. 

This virus is worse than the SARS Epidemic. 

ABC News 

Depends on how you define "worse" - fewer deaths - but faster moving 

How does this outbreak compare to Sars?

Sars was a type of coronavirus that first emerged in China's Guangdong province in November 2002. By the time the outbreak ended the following July, it had spread to more than two dozen countries.

The new coronavirus emerged only last month. So far, it has spread to fewer countries and - while more people have been infected globally - it has resulted in fewer deaths.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/wuhan-coronavirus/408607/coronavirus-worldwide-cases-overtake-2003-sars-outbreak

1 hour ago, lissie said:

Depends on how you define "worse" - fewer deaths - but faster moving 

How does this outbreak compare to Sars?

Sars was a type of coronavirus that first emerged in China's Guangdong province in November 2002. By the time the outbreak ended the following July, it had spread to more than two dozen countries.

The new coronavirus emerged only last month. So far, it has spread to fewer countries and - while more people have been infected globally - it has resulted in fewer deaths.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/wuhan-coronavirus/408607/coronavirus-worldwide-cases-overtake-2003-sars-outbreak

Faster moving makes it more dangerous, and harder to contain, less deaths is better but it is not over yet.  I am still not sure if it can be defined as better or worse than SARs yet, time will tell if it took 9 months for SARs to be ended, then perhaps by October we will know. 

This from Princess was posted on our roll call for the circle Pacific Cruise.

"We are also looking to remove the transit calls to Shanghai on May 1 and July 17 on Sun Princess, replacing with Japan ports of calls (actual ports to be announced)."

We are also scheduled to visit Hong Kong. Wait and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I am currently on the Pacific Explorer heading to Singapore. The Captain just announced that Passengers holding Chinese passports will not be able to enter Singapore due to that country banning all Chinese passport holders. He also stated that there is concern that other countries might impose a similar ban. We are due to visit East Timor and Indonesia. The effected passengers have had their cruise terminated and P&O is assisting with accommodation and flights.

Seems a bit harsh as they would have been on the cruise for 14 days, which I understand is the incubation period.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Pacific Explorer has delayed leaving from Cairns. We think all Chinese passports holders are being disembarked due to Singapore banning Chinese from entering.  Will report when we know for sure.

Edited to confirm the above post that was entered at the same time

Edited by Fluffy Tiger
New information

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

It does seem harsh but some countries are taking much stricter precautions than others.

Frankly its racist. If they have been out of China for more than 14 days -they are no more at risk at any other passport holder. Tey may not even live in China! 

14 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

WOW Four short cruises - you must have enjoyed yourself.  I did a cruise on Leo from Sydney to Darwin, which was a good deal, but I can't remember the price. The food was excellent.  A Chinese passenger took over the tai chai lessons, with input from his wife on the side, which was a memorable experience.  I'd be happy to cruise with them again if  they redeployed to Australia during the virus.  

It was cheap and something to do. I like the feeling of being at sea. I don't need destinations. And the first trip we sailed straight into a force 11 which I loved - seriously awesome (and nice empty breakfast buffets due to so many wimps staying in cabins haha). But the oh so tacky 1970s Chinese Aussie Restaurant red and gold decor all over the whole ship was too much for me. 

I was actually just reading an article last week about a new vessel and then it said 'use to be Superstar Virgo'. So it's renamed and owned by different line and had total refurb. But for the life of me I can't find the article again to find the new name !!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

It was cheap and something to do. I like the feeling of being at sea. I don't need destinations. And the first trip we sailed straight into a force 11 which I loved - seriously awesome (and nice empty breakfast buffets due to so many wimps staying in cabins haha). But the oh so tacky 1970s Chinese Aussie Restaurant red and gold decor all over the whole ship was too much for me. 

I was actually just reading an article last week about a new vessel and then it said 'use to be Superstar Virgo'. So it's renamed and owned by different line and had total refurb. But for the life of me I can't find the article again to find the new name !!!

Explorer Dream by Dream Cruises premium luxury vessel to be based in Australia for the "wave season".

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Faster moving makes it more dangerous, and harder to contain, less deaths is better but it is not over yet.  I am still not sure if it can be defined as better or worse than SARs yet, time will tell if it took 9 months for SARs to be ended, then perhaps by October we will know. 

Debateable that it's faster moving. While there was a greater initial number they've also been contained much more to a localised area, which can indicate a greater initial distribution method. 

If it was faster moving overall it would also have spread more than SARS but that hasn't happened. It's also been recognised as case growth having slowed.

The British ships currently on world cruises, i.e. Arcadia which we were supposed to embark in March in Singapore to Southampton, will be impacted, that ship visits almost every where in Asia, including HK and Singapore.  The Brits will not be happy.  What a mess.

Edited by NSWP

Does anyone know if Royal is enforcing the restrictions to people who have traveled through Hong Kong? We have friends arriving into Sydney from the UK today who have had a couple of days there. They board on the 5th. 
They are fully expecting to be denied boarding. They will be upset but they are smart enough to know the reasons.

16 minutes ago, benjoon said:

Does anyone know if Royal is enforcing the restrictions to people who have traveled through Hong Kong? We have friends arriving into Sydney from the UK today who have had a couple of days there. They board on the 5th. 
They are fully expecting to be denied boarding. They will be upset but they are smart enough to know the reasons.

I don't think going through HK would affect their boarding, I am under the impression mainland China is the problem.  Your friends had best check with RCL or their agent.

24 minutes ago, benjoon said:

I agree with Les (NSWP). Best check with the cruise line.

I know that Princess and NCL have not included HK in the boarding ban, only mainland China - and they're offering full refunds to travelers who prove that they have traveled to or thru mainland China recently.

29 minutes ago, boeckli said:

I agree with Les (NSWP). Best check with the cruise line.

I know that Princess and NCL have not included HK in the boarding ban, only mainland China - and they're offering full refunds to travelers who prove that they have traveled to or thru mainland China recently.

Below is an extract from a letter Celebrity sent out yesterday and again today pertaining to transiting through China and Hong Kong

"To that end, any guest who has transited through mainland China or Hong Kong, 15 days prior to embarkation, will be denied boarding and issued a full refund."

This direction is applicable to all RCL ships and seems to be growing across all cruise lines

Effective today NZ will bar anyone who has visited Mainland China within the past 14 days. This ban will be reviewed every 48 hours. The plane load of people expected to depart Wuhan tomorrow will be quarantined at a Naval facility outside of Auckland

This is the email I received today about my upcoming cruises from RCL. I have two cruises 3 Feb and 22 Feb.

Dear Guest,

We’re looking forward to welcoming you aboard! Before you embark on our adventure, we have some important information to share with you.

After consultation with medical experts and public health authorities, we’ve decided that regardless of nationality, any guest or crewmember traveling from, to, or through mainland China or Hong Kong less than 15 days prior to their sailing will be unable to board any of our ships. We regret to have to do this, but due to the recent increase of coronavirus cases around the world, this precaution will help avoid the spread of this virus. We take this very seriously and have a responsibility to maintain a safe and healthy environment onboard our ships, as well as in the ports we visit. We take this very seriously and have a responsibility to maintain a safe and healthy environment onboard our ships, as well as in the ports we visit.

Additionally, we’ve tightened our secondary health screening requirements and the following guests will need to undergo extra screenings to ensure safety at the cruise terminal:

• Guests or crewmembers that have been in contact with individuals that have traveled from, to, or through mainland China or Hong Kong in the last 15 days.
  • Anyone that holds a Chinese or Hong Kong passport – regardless of when they were there last.
  • Anyone that feels unwell or demonstrates flu-like symptoms.

While these measures are conservative, our responsibility is to reduce the spread of coronavirus, in an effort to keep our ships safe and to ensure you are able to enjoy your time with us.

Your vacation and your health are very important to us, so in an abundance of caution, we’ve taken numerous proactive steps to maintain high health standards onboard our ships. This includes:

• Thoroughly sanitizing the cruise ship terminal before and after every sailing,
  • Special sanitizing of high traffic areas onboard multiple times a day,
  • Adding extra medical staff on each sailing,
  • Providing complimentary consultations with medical experts for all guests & crew,
  • Plus, the Captain will make two daily announcements during your cruise reminding everyone of how to stay healthy onboard.

And, you can do your part too! To ensure we all have an enjoyable cruise, here are some important tips to help keep you healthy and prevent colds, flus, and stomach viruses – both onboard and on land.

• After using the bathroom and before any meal or snack (it’s a cruise; we know there’s lots of that), make sure to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.
  • If you happen to sneeze, cover your nose and mouth with a tissue (or with your upper sleeve). Avoid sneezing or coughing into your hands or without covering your nose and mouth.
  • Use hand sanitizer as often as possible. Rub the gel thoroughly, and in-between your fingers, until your hands are dry.

And remember, if you don’t feel well while you’re onboard, it’s imperative that you immediately visit our medical facility on Deck 2 for a complimentary checkup. Our onboard doctors and nurses are always ready to assist. Your safety and wellbeing are always our top priorities, but we also want you to have an amazing time. Stay clean, stay healthy, stay happy!

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Sincerely

image.png.31fbc0df52795a600c791d54dcfae4df.png

Edited by Cruisegroover
Double sentence

19 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Explorer Dream by Dream Cruises premium luxury vessel to be based in Australia for the "wave season".

Well my experience was that it was far from a premium luxury vessel as most of the refurb took place in the very expensive Palace areas where steerage people me like couldn't go. Just my personal opinion though and off topic.