Caronavirus - effect on A/NZ cruise market

16 hours ago, cruisine21 said:

I’ve heard that Allianz and Covermore don’t cover Coronavirus so even if the cruise lines give refunds you are still out of pocket from flights and accommodation.

Oh dear.

9 minutes ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

Just read that Lifou and Mare have closed to cruise ships. Tribal chiefs made the decision to protect their people.

Fair  enough . The Islands are vulnerable as we saw with the measles in Samoa .

On 1/29/2020 at 11:10 AM, gbenjo said:

That goes without saying, they will have been "cleaned' several times on the way here and and also a deep clean when they arrive. Anyone booking the first cruise from here on one of the redeployed vessels can probably expect a delayed boarding time to allow the crew time to do their thing.   Lots and lots of Washy Washy.

Will have to be better than the normal 'turnaround clean of cabins, public areas etc, when a cabin steward has to clean and fix 20 cabins in about 3 or 4 hours, albeit sometimes with a little helper, sometimes not.   Yes Graham as you say, perhaps a much delayed boarding time.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Will have to be better than the normal 'turnaround clean of cabins, public areas etc, when a cabin steward has to clean and fix 20 cabins in about 3 or 4 hours, albeit sometimes with a little helper, sometimes not.   Yes Graham as you say, perhaps a much delayed boarding time.

It is going to be difficult to avoid exposure to the virus if you come in contact with someone who has the virus.  Passengers on a flight in Cairns had a Chinese passenger, who was obviously ill, removed from the plane.  Holidaymakers on the Gold Coast shared a lift in a high rise building with the Chinese national now hospitalised with the virus. 

When we shared our cruise to Antarctica with a lovely group of HK passengers, the ship said middle class Chinese travellers were increasing in numbers.  When I cruised from Greenland to Miami, there was a small group of Chinese passengers cruising from Greenland all  the way to Antarctica.  

Went to a local shopping centre earlier today, in an area that has a high percentage of Asian residents. I've never seen so many people wearing masks before, probably around 1-2%, usually there would be one or two people if any! Local chemist had big signs saying they had no surgical masks.

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Went to a local shopping centre earlier today, in an area that has a high percentage of Asian residents. I've never seen so many people wearing masks before, probably around 1-2%, usually there would be one or two people if any! Local chemist had big signs saying they had no surgical masks.

When I first attended the tennis, I saw one Asian person wearing a mask.  By the end, there were lots of Asians wearing masks.  I think people were worried the situation was worse than we were being told at that time.  Now the Courier Mail had four full pages on the virus.

4 hours ago, lissie said:

Samoa is requiring a medical certificate for visitors  

Well that would be a bit tricky to get! Or is this for the measles. 

The issue will be when a cruise pax does actually get the virus and the whole ship gets quarantined and people can’t get off when disembarking. And then if another person gets it, there’s another 14 days. It is very problematical. Cruises in Asia in Feb are starting to be cancelled now. 

Edited by Pushka

37 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, I found it strange a couple of days ago when I saw the same thing. I thought why is it suddenly ramping up more than before for the smoke. Yet worked out it was for this.

Personally, the smoke locally has been a bigger health concern/risk than this.

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

Personally, the smoke locally has been a bigger health concern/risk than this.

For me, definitely. It turns out I'm one of those who is very sensitive to smoke pollution.🙁

Ever since I had a pneumonia vaccination I seem (touch wood) to be less susceptible to respiratory illnesses.

36 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Never let it be said that the Courier Mail passed up an opportunity to fearmonger.

Not my favourite newspaper by any means, but they were well written articles.  

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

For me, definitely. It turns out I'm one of those who is very sensitive to smoke pollution.🙁

Ever since I had a pneumonia vaccination I seem (touch wood) to be less susceptible to respiratory illnesses.

I am the same, I thought it was perhaps it was because I wasn't working any more so not having contact with large numbers of people as I was in my job. But then I realised I'd had the pneumonia vaccination which was possibly a contributing factor to not having any respiratory infections.

Leigh

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yesterday I was in the shopping centre saw an African family where the teenage girl was wearing a surgical mask. A boy in the group who looked about twelve started to have a coughing fit. The girl in the mask shot him the dirtiest look I have ever seen😂. When the boy stopped coughing he gave her an embarrassed smile and shrugged. You just can't cough without being judged these days😳.

On 1/28/2020 at 9:13 AM, Kiwi Kruzer said:

One of the ships re deployed to Australia during the SARS scare , was Superstar Leo (or Virgo,cant remember)  from Star Cruises . That was a "last minute" short notice cruise and was priced very keenly , so much so that it almost sold out as soon as it was released. 

I think if any other ships were sent down they would also be very keenly priced.

Virgo was relocated to Perth. I did 4 x 3 day back to back 'cruises to nowhere'. Had a big suite for less than $100 per day plus from memory my discount on each B2B was further 20% off. Pretty cheesy ship decor wise but the food was great. 

4 hours ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

Virgo was relocated to Perth. I did 4 x 3 day back to back 'cruises to nowhere'. Had a big suite for less than $100 per day plus from memory my discount on each B2B was further 20% off. Pretty cheesy ship decor wise but the food was great. 

WOW Four short cruises - you must have enjoyed yourself.  I did a cruise on Leo from Sydney to Darwin, which was a good deal, but I can't remember the price. The food was excellent.  A Chinese passenger took over the tai chai lessons, with input from his wife on the side, which was a memorable experience.  I'd be happy to cruise with them again if  they redeployed to Australia during the virus.