Are Upgrade Offers From Princess Usually Good Deals?

need2cruisesoon

Just got an email from Princess offering an upgrade.

Currently booked in a B2 Balcony (Grand Princess), offer is for $799 per person to move into a Mini Suite.

Not really seeing the value @ over $1600 to move up to the MS. Plus this is not a Club Class MS, so not sure what Princess is thinking. This cruise was expensive enough at 7 days so staying put in our Caribe deck cabin.

33 minutes ago, need2cruisesoon said:

Currently booked in a B2 Balcony (Grand Princess), offer is for $799 per person to move into a Mini Suite.

Not really seeing the value @ over $1600 to move up to the MS. Plus this is not a Club Class MS, so not sure what Princess is thinking. This cruise was expensive enough at 7 days so staying put in our Caribe deck cabin.

That's a terrible offer!!  

We had gotten a smokin deal on an Alaska cruise last year in an obstructed OV.  I was offered an upgrade to any balcony, including a premium balcony for $249 pp .. it was a 10 night cruise.  No brainer!!  

But, I recently had was given an offer for $149 pp for an upgrade to a premium oceanview to a balcony for a 5 night cruise. The kicker was, it was under $25 pp total for me to upgrade to a balcony when I originally booked it.  hahaha!!  My answer was no way!  

• Thanks 1

We booked the cheapest inside guarantee for our next 15 day Hawaiian cruise.  Considering we knew the insides were sold out at the front of the ship, we knew we'd be getting an upgrade.  Ended up with an inside midship.

Got an "upsell" at the rate of $599 per person to upgrade to a balcony, so $1198 for the two of us.  

I chose not to take them up on their offer as it would have doubled the cost.

Another time, we were in a premium view for a 10 day cruise and received an upsell of $99 TOTAL for a suite.  We JUMPED on that!

So I've taken upsells and chosen not to take upsells.  Depends on the value to us.

• Like 1

I always want to keep the pricing information that I received when I made the booking.  If I booked a Mini-Suite for $X per person, and declined a Club Class for $(X + 550) per person, I want to remember that I refused a $550 per person "move-up offer" when I originally booked it.  Because when Princess makes a move-up offer, we often overlook the decision we made in the first place.  As Cruise Raider suggests above.

My criteria is around $20-$25 per person per day.  I select my room at the time of booking so I am happy with the initial choice but have accepted the 3 upset offers that were presented since they were within reason.  

Richard

4 hours ago, need2cruisesoon said:

Yes far too pricy 

8 hours ago, licram said:

How do get an up sell ? Who informs me about it ?

When Princess discovers that they have unsold cabins in the higher categories, Princess sends out offers via email to some of the passengers (or the passengers' Travel Agents).  Then, it is a first come, first served situation -- respond quickly if you want to accept the offer!

No one knows how Princess decides who to make the offers to.  It is likely that Princess keeps track of who has accepted these offers in the past, and targets those people.  It is possible that if you turn down an offer, you are less likely to be given a future offer.  It is likely that Princess rewards loyalty with these offers.  It is possible that it is purely random.