Live - Standing Ovation from the Land Down Under - New Zealand, 11 Nights Feb. 2, 2020

twangster

1 hour ago, twangster said:

At the airport now waiting for my flight.

Not so good weather here this morning for you. Really enjoyed your report - brought back great memories of our NZ landtour & cruise Jan/Feb last year.

Safe travels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Great review! I hope you had a great trip home and I look forward to seeing you on your next adventure.

When have you seen Twangster ? I’ve not seen one photo or have any info as to where you live , Twangster .  You value the privacy of fellow cruisers and your own.  

Guess I better finish this...

Mid day on our last day back out of the blue another ship appeared in the middle of nowhere.    It's the Ruby Princess.

ov_day13-1.jpg

The rest of the day was a usual sea day but the humidity of Australia was unmistakable.  

• Like 1

Day 12 - Sydney

Pilot station at 4am.  I went up to get some pictures of our arrival into Sydney.  

One is the loneliest number... someone put their luggage out too late.

ov_day13-20.jpg

A wet morning for our arrival into Sydney.

ov_day13-7.jpg

ov_day13-8.jpg

ov_day13-11.jpg

ov_day13-13.jpg

ov_day13-15.jpg

ov_day13-16.jpg

ov_day13-17.jpg

ov_day13-18.jpg

ov_day13-19.jpg

ov_day13-4.jpg

ov_day13-5.jpg

• Like 8

Our progress...

ov_day13-3.jpg

ov_day13-2.jpg

Breakfast in the Windjammer at 6am.  The view down to the self assist line at 6:16am.

ov_day13-6.jpg

I finished packing, collected my bags and made my way down to leave.  By 6:46am I was outside and on my way to the train station.

ov_day13-23.jpg

Walking to the train station one last view of Ovation.

ov_day13-10.jpg

ov_day13-9.jpg

The train.

ov_day13-12.jpg

ov_day13-14.jpg

At the airport by 7:24am only to find out Delta check in doesn't open until three hours before the flight.  Another hour to wait.

ov_day13-21.jpg

Eventually made it into the American Express lounge.  Last chance for an Aussie beer.

ov_day13-22.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, iceh20 said:

Did Royal offer any excursions that take you to the airport after disembarking?

They do a short one via the beaches and sights then drop off about 11:00 for a after 2:00 pm departure.

A long one doing blue mountains with Sydney sights and drop you off at a airport hotel in the afternoon. Ready for next day morning departure .

They are reasonably priced

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 9:38 AM, twangster said:

Tonight's entertainment in the Royal Theater - Live, Love, Legs.

It's a Vegas style showgirl show.

Having been on Ovation a few times with Joff as CD. All I can hear in my head is him repeating ad-nauseum - "there's legs -- lots of legs"

btw: Great photos - You were really fortunate to get perfect blue skies in the Sounds - although it is also great with the rain/water streaming down the cliffs.

17 minutes ago, mrpotatohead said:

Having been on Ovation a few times with Joff as CD. All I can hear in my head is him repeating ad-nauseum - "there's legs -- lots of legs"

btw: Great photos - You were really fortunate to get perfect blue skies in the Sounds - although it is also great with the rain/water streaming down the cliffs.

Joff is loved by people but I’m not one of them 

10 hours ago, NHProud said:

When have you seen Twangster ? I’ve not seen one photo or have any info as to where you live , Twangster .  You value the privacy of fellow cruisers and your own.  

Figure of speech. Meant as "see your future posts."

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RFerrington said:

He’s very private and elusive

Like Bigfoot?

19 hours ago, NHProud said:

He doesn't really exist.  He is actually a Royal Marketing AI app that generates these reviews.

A very effective one I might add. After every Twangster review, I immediately find myself doing a mock booking trying to follow in his footsteps. I'm still working on Empress and Panama canal and now I need to add Down Under to the list. I will NOT read his Norway review. 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, RFerrington said:

He’s very private and elusive

hmmmm check out his Ovation Vancouver to Hawaii fall of 2019 as there might be a mention of an airport and photo of snow.  sorry I thought most folks knew.  shhhhhhh

I have seen him and on Ovation before but never talked to him.  Perhaps one day he will write travel essays and be famous.  I always admire folks who drag a lot of camera stuff with them.  The reward is great photos.

For me I just strive for pretty good and be done with it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looks like I forgot to mention the Crown and Anchor top tier event.  Day 8, 7pm.

Total guest count 4,361

First time cruisers 2,789 or 64%

Total CAS 1,572 or 36%

Gold 823 (52.4%) , Platinum 314 (20%), Emerald 145 (9.2%),  Diamond 213 (13.5%) , Diamond Plus 68 (4.3%), Pinnacle 9 (0.6%). 

Cruise Summary

This cruise was a pretty fantastic experience overall.  New Zealand is pretty amazing and every port was very welcoming.   Sydney was a great city to start from.  

A couple of days pre-cruise to adjust to local time was perfect.  In general terms I haven't found the time changes to be that hard on the system on either end.  The long flight helps the transition.  

I was able to use credit cards in most cases so there wasn't a need for a lot of cash.

Third time on Ovation.  I'm very comfortable with Quantum class and it was a good fit for this cruise and the environmentals around New Zealand.  Tendering wasn't an issue, they seem to have this down to a science on Ovation.  In fact they did a better job tendering on Ovation than Vision did on a recent cruise with a tender port.  

I booked this cruise for the ports of New Zealand yet the time in Fiordland was the highlight of the cruise.

This was a photo intensive cruise.  Picture stats: 4,828 pictures taken, 870 posted.  

I hope you enjoyed following along and I thank you for viewing.

PS - some menu pictures coming soon.

• Like 8