PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

12 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

Cruising on Saturday out of San Pedro to Mexico on the Royal.  I'm not too worried because I feel like there are many more people around than we know with the virus in our communities.   The thing is, most younger people don't run to the doctor or infirmary when they have a fever and a cough.  We just keep going thinking we have a cold and it will go away.  Older people have more of a risk (and probably better insurance!) of getting worse, so if they get sick, they go to the doctor.  So, basically, being careful with hand washing and antibacterial is our only real defense.  We will be doing a lot of that next week while we enjoy our cruise.  This is the first time I have ever wished to get back in 7 days and will not be too bummed to be back on American soil!

Understood  have a great time! BTW my insurance is no better than yours...lol !

Edited by Reader0108598

But whether you are willing to take the chance on cruising at this time (and I am) and never mind whether the media and the populace have blown this out of proportion...the fact remains that a case of the virus from a previous cruise has got the Princess ship offshore of San Francisco awaiting test results.  Your cruise can be high jacked into a different unpleasant experience and you will have absolutely no control.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

But whether you are willing to take the chance on cruising at this time (and I am) and never mind whether the media and the populace have blown this out of proportion...the fact remains that a case of the virus from a previous cruise has got the Princess ship offshore of San Francisco awaiting test results.  Your cruise can be high jacked into a different unpleasant experience and you will have absolutely no control.

I hear you and understand what you are saying but that can happen just because of weather. I hope you have a wonderful cruise. I hope nothing happens!

🙂

Edited by Reader0108598

3 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I'm just glad we have a balcony. 🙂

• Like 4

Lots of fact and fiction in this thread. 

If anyone is interested take a look at this link below about what the WHO found in China, some of it makes for uncomfortable reading. COVID-19 has an overall average death rate of at about 20 to 30 times that of a normal winter flu outbreak (yes many many will be fine and the effects very minor) but be in no doubt it is a nasty virus that deserves a health dose of respect and caution. 

What the WHO found in its published report of COVID19

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

I hear you and understand what you are saying but that can happen just because of weather. I hope you have a wonderful cruise. I hope nothing happens!

🙂

Yes. But at least the bars and restaurants will still be operating. I love a good storm at sea. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, scooby1 said:

Lots of fact and fiction in this thread. 

If anyone is interested take a look at this link below about what the WHO found in China, some of it makes for uncomfortable reading. COVID-19 has an overall average death rate of at about 20 to 30 times that of a normal winter flu outbreak (yes many many will be fine and the effects very minor) but be in no doubt it is a nasty virus that deserves a health dose of respect and caution. 

What the WHO found in its published report of COVID19

Yes. But we are slowly shutting down the world! 

COVID-19 is the name for the disease caused by SARS-Cov-2 virus, which is one of coronaviruses.  Influenza viruses are a distinct family of viruses from the coronaviruses, even though they both cause respiratory illnesses and are spread in similar ways.

We have a very good epidemiological data on the fatality rate (Case Fatality Rate, or CFR) of seasonal/pandemic influenza (ranges from about 0.02 % to 2 %, with the seasonal ones in the lower end of that range).   The estimated CFR of SARS (also caused by one of the coronaviruses) is 10 %, though the "real" fatality rate of SARS is not as well pinned down, since we don't have the best estimate of asymptomatic cases during that epidemic.

Our CFR estimate for COVID-19 is still very much preliminary.  I think the rate among just the symptomatic population is around 2 %, but the scientific community is assuming that when asymptomatic population is included, it should come down much further.

This is partly explained in this online blurb on vox.com

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/5/21165973/coronavirus-death-rate-explained

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reader0108598 said:

Umm ok the flu can kill me just as quick! I say this as someone who is older and has health isuues no more worried about this than the flu! I did just cancel my 40th anniversary trip this morning so I am walking the walk so to speak! We all have to make our own choice what is best for us.

Ding Ding! 

• Like 1

The Abels are still in the hospital in Japan. David is still testing positive, but Sally’s last test was negative. They both say they’re feeling well and hoping to be able to go home in about a week. He’s still on YouTube with daily updates. 

• Like 2

I live just outside of Toronto in Canada and our City has just announced its first case of COVID-19 in a male in his 60s who travelled on the Grand Princess Feb 11 to Feb 21 and returned home Feb 28. 

I guess we don't know if he got it on the ship or not, but with the incubation period it is possible. Another passenger returned to Calgary and was also diagnosed and they believe it was caught on the ship. They say 267 Canadians were on board and are asking them to self isolate...although it is a little late now.

Edited by Canagirl
  • Like 2

I was going to reply to the Grand thread. It is an active situation right now. 

In Australia if you have suspicion of the virus you attend the specially set up clinics that avoid going into casualty. I'm surprised that the previous passengers of the Grand, don't have the similar set up. We are testing pretty much everyone with a respiratory symptom and recent travel or contact with a known Covid person. 

And the reason that so many Doctors developed positive to the test this week in Australia is because they all attended a conference where someone was positive and not because the patients gave it to them. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I was going to reply to the Grand thread. It is an active situation right now. 

In Australia if you have suspicion of the virus you attend the specially set up clinics that avoid going into casualty. I'm surprised that the previous passengers of the Grand, don't have the similar set up. We are testing pretty much everyone with a respiratory symptom and recent travel or contact with a known Covid person. 

And the reason that so many Doctors developed positive to the test this week in Australia is because they all attended a conference where someone was positive and not because the patients gave it to them. 

That is a glaring difference between Australia with a health system and the USA.

Edited by brisalta

4 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Why don't they come into San Francisco Bay where it is more protected? Are they far enough offshore that they are in international waters and thus not fully subject to U.S. government control?

That was indeed my thought precisely. I read earlier they were in International waters. 

Edited by Pushka

8 minutes ago, Pushka said:

That was indeed my thought precisely. International waters. 

No, they are in US territorial waters. My distant estimate was by plain number 1 eyeball as I did not have my binoculars with the distance graticule with me.

They are probably out there so they can make fresh water. Less contaminants in the water out in the Pacific. They are not allowed to dock yet so would not be able to hook up to shore side water supply. Also they would not be able to hook up to shore side electric supply because they are not allowed to dock. San Francisco Bay has a limitation on how long engines can be run for cruise ships. Grand Princess switches to shore side power when it docks there.

Edited by brisalta
  • Thanks 1