PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

1 minute ago, Pushka said:

They will be isolated properly and likely into very small groups if not individually or as a couple. If one of a party tests positive then that group will be dealt with separately. They have to break the cycle of possible reinfection somehow and this is the way to do it. 

But many of the passengers have *already* disembarked and flown home.  That's the real problem here.  At least in Japan, they got a handle on it before the passengers left (the ship and the country).

There's not going to be a way to trace ALL of those they came in contact with.  Those on the same airline flights, okay.  Maybe those in hotels?  But in airports in general?  Rest rooms?  Restaurants anywhere?  Etc.

Not good!

I think it's pretty obvious that it's "too late" in terms of trying to stop/prevent a real pandemic, IF COVID-19 is as contagious as they think it is.

I don't see how the genie goes back in the bottle, although it would be wonderful if it could somehow.

GC

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

Primary spread for colds / flu in general is not airborne. Physical contact with a virus contaminated object is far more common. Sick person sneezes / coughs and gets virus all over hands even using tissues. Touches doorknob / handle, water faucet, elevator button, salt / pepper / sugar / sweetener shakers, dispensers all over the buffet, stylus at point of sale in shops / banks, salesclerk's pen to sign name in shops, ATM buttons. At work, copier buttons / shared terminals / phones / cash registers.

Healthy person touches anything sick person touched, does not wash  hands properly or at all (20-30 seconds or sing Happy Birthday song twice, including cuticle & under fingernails) before touching eyes, nose, mouth, anywhere on face, or before eating.

Bingo, we have a new virus winner.

Thank you for the explanation.  I'm not a medical professional so not aware of exactly how a virus is transmitted.  There's a lot of misinformation out there. 

The surgical type one-time-use masks can protect both you and others.  Helps protect you from fingers to face contact and others from you.  N95s are also good for other airborne contacts, such as anthrax.

Best is to never shake hands on a cruise and to wash, wash, wash with hands soap (any kind) and water (cold or, hot - makes no difference according to CDC).

Truly wish all these passengers a full recovery as speedily as possible. I also hope that all those who have been through this ordeal of Quarantine and their families including crew will seek professional help in dealing with what must be massive anxiety and stress. There is no weakness or shame in seeking help, this has been a real life experience few of us will ever have, but for those who have it could have devastating future impact on their lives. "There but for the Grace of God go I".

I hope this is a wake up call to all those cruisers who. when fellow passengers (yeah I am one of them) admonish them in the food line for not sanitizing their hands say "I washed my hands in the cabin" and get quite snarky. Give your head a shake. Did you teleport yourself from your cabin to the food area? you never pushed an elevator button or used a handrail etc along the way, you never stopped and fingered all the photos, leaned your

hand on the bar along the way ???? Please take that small amount of time to wash/sanitize your hands and enjoy your singing of Happy Birthday a couple of times and know that if not yours it really is somebodies Birthday ever second of the day help them Celebrate !!!!!!!

Healthy Happy Cruising, I will now put my soap box away till next time I was my hands !!!!

• Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 11:42 AM, dog said:

So, did the 3 people mentioned in earlier posts ( owns radio station) take flight today?  They had the balcony opened, were going back and forth between cabins, no masks. So close contact with the female who tested positive on Friday. 

Her husband got a fever during the flight. They had to go to Nebraska instead of Travis AFB. He's in isolation and she's in a dorm room. It wouldn't be surprising if they both ended up positive.

Coronavirus: Santa Clarita man falls ill while returning to CA with wife after being quarantined on cruise ship in Japan

https://abc7.com/5940117/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, lucky181 said:

Her husband got a fever during the flight. They had to go to Nebraska instead of Travis AFB. He's in isolation and she's in a dorm room. It wouldn't be surprising if they both ended up positive.

Coronavirus: Santa Clarita man falls ill while returning to CA with wife after being quarantined on cruise ship in Japan

https://abc7.com/5940117/

Thanks. Not surprised at all. Hope all goes well for them. 

7 hours ago, Globehoppers said:

The surgical type one-time-use masks can protect both you and others.  Helps protect you from fingers to face contact and others from you.  N95s are also good for other airborne contacts, such as anthrax.

Best is to never shake hands on a cruise and to wash, wash, wash with hands soap (any kind) and water (cold or, hot - makes no difference according to CDC).

Best to not shake hands at all in any environment unless you know the other party's hygiene habits.

Edited by brisalta

Delta Airlines is contacting passengers who flew from Honolulu Hawaii in the USA to Japan because two people on the flight are now being treated for Corona Virus.  They also flew interisland on Hawaiian Airlines.  Details in the articles below.

Anyone who thinks this virus is and will be confined to Asia is in for a shock

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-17-20-intl-hnk/h_b4312d79e8fe691faa7fe22c9f30ec0f

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/483381-delta-hawaiian-airlines-work-with-officials-to-trace

Edited by SunNFunCruzer

21 hours ago, caribill said:

Americans in Yokohama on the bus to the airport.

If I was a bug looks like the perfect jumping ground and welcome to good ole USAwhere it spread far faster than China 

Edited by chipmaster

I think I read the same a few pages back, but it looks like Princess has officially cancelled the remaining Sapphire cruises in Asia for 2020 and will be placing Australian cruises on sale in a few weeks.

Sapphire Princess Cancellation & New Itineraries Update: Due to ongoing uncertainty with coronavirus (2019-nCoV) and port travel restrictions in China and Southeast Asia, we have made the decision to cancel and modify additional voyages on Sapphire Princess in 2020. We will provide complete details to all guests booked on impacted voyages via email, Cruise Personalizer, or their travel advisor.

Sapphire Princess will redeploy to Australia six months earlier than planned with 44 new cruises from five major cities. Sapphire Princess’ new year-long program in Australia will be on sale beginning Monday, February 27, 2020, by contacting a professional travel advisor, calling 1-800-PRINCESS (1-800-774-6237)

20 minutes ago, dog said:

Princess has posted a new video update. They will bring in an outside food service for meals. Finally. 

It's probably more feasible now that many people have left the ship. Plus they probably need to start quarantining the crew. But it doesn't say if those meals will totally replace all meals prepared onboard.

1 hour ago, dog said:

Princess has posted a new video update. They will bring in an outside food service for meals. Finally. 

I assume that means preparing them off the ship, but they would still have to be delivered by crew. Otherwise, any outside food service people coming aboard would not be allowed to leave the ship.

7 minutes ago, caribill said:

I assume that means preparing them off the ship, but they would still have to be delivered by crew. Otherwise, any outside food service people coming aboard would not be allowed to leave the ship.

They are setting up a kitchen on the wharf to prepare the food apparently. Yes, I imagine some of the crew will need to deliver the meals.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

David Abel made a short post on FB that both he and Sally have tested positive and were leaving soon for the hospital.  I hope that his son will post an update soon.  Prayers for all of the affected passengers  still on the ship and for those who are now fulfilling their quarantines off the ship in their home lands or in hospitals in Japan. 

33 minutes ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

David Abel made a short post on FB that both he and Sally have tested positive and were leaving soon for the hospital.  I hope that his son will post an update soon.  Prayers for all of the affected passengers  still on the ship and for those who are now fulfilling their quarantines off the ship in their home lands or in hospitals in Japan. 

Did this change recently? The last update I saw was he said it was to a hostel no wifi no phone. Couple stays together 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dog said:

Did this change recently? The last update I saw was he said it was to a hostel no wifi no phone. Couple stays together 

The hostel is a newer update since I posted.  That is where they are going now.  He is convinced it is a set up to quiet him.  No way to know what is really going on.  Not being able to communicate with the outside world seems cruel.  At least they will be together as long as they are symptom free.  Being separated was his biggest fear. 

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

The hostel is a newer update since I posted.  That is where they are going now.  He is convinced it is a set up to quiet him.  No way to know what is really going on.  Not being able to communicate with the outside world seems cruel.  At least they will be together as long as they are symptom free.  Being separated was his biggest fear. 

Apparently according to this article they are now under the authority of Japan and will not currently be evacuated with the other “negative” passengers that are on the ship.  They will probably have to recover and test negative first.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/world/david-abel-coronavirus-tests-positive-diamond-princess-a4364426.html%3famp

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

Abel is paranoid.  The Japanese government is not trying to "quiet" him in any manner.  Improper for him to even suggest.  I'm sure the "hostel" is likely more comfortable than a hospital for a couple and just as easily used to quarantine people.  Remember, the quarantine is to isolate infected and possibly infected people from the population at large.

• Like 4