ADDITIONAL Tips/Gratuities - How much do you give and for who?

ghstudio

We usually tip our butler and room attendant $100 each at the end of the cruise. One cruise our room attendant in aqua class disappeared after the third day and we were shuffled around with substitutes for the remaining days so we did not leave a tip there. We have given $10-20 at the end of the cruise to bartenders and wait staff who gave us personalized service. I am a smoker and if I see one crew member consistently cleaning that area for the cruise then I will make sure to tip them $20 at the end of the cruise. I also tip $20 mid-way through the cruise if there is a crew member consistently taking and filling drink orders from the smokers. On my last cruise, I tipped the Michaels Club concierge $40 because I had called upon his assistance for a number of things during the cruise.

In addition, I recently learned that flight attendants and cruise crew like to get chocolate/candy. I have started giving small bags of candy to flight attendants and their delight is made plain through their expression and the service I receive from them. On the last 2 cruises, we gave our butler and room attendant a large bag of chocolates on the first day. I also gave chocolates to the Retreat concierges and the Michaels Club concierge. All of the people we gifted with chocolates were surprised and happy to get them - and some of them told us they "bragged" about us to their fellow crew members.

During the cruise, I make sure to address the crew by their names and give a smile to anyone I happen to encounter. It costs me nothing to acknowledge and give respect to a fellow human being. I'm having the time of my life when I'm on a cruise, why not share that joy with others?

Finally, I make sure to fill out the post-cruise survey and mention by name the people who stand out during the cruise.

• Thanks 1

Well, I think I will change my ways possibly after reading this thread.  I’m getting close to being a veteran of almost 30 sailings.

After leaving the auto-gratuities in place, I also bring some cash for late-cruise tips.  I give $3-5 when room service coffee & whatever is delivered.  We don’t usually have special needs but if we get special consideration & excellent service we leave about $20 extra for cabin attendant and an extra $ at Al bacio & if we grab a soda etc for elite benefit at a bar and something in an envelope for the Dining server team.  We write notes with our thanks and note the special people by name on surveys.  When with our son recently in a specialty we gave $40 to our server because he truly was special even getting us a recipe from the chef.

What I will do differently is leave a separate thanks for the assistant server.  On our last sailing, he was special too.  Maybe combining them isn’t fair.  

I also make decisions in the moment— not really a set amount.

Happy sailing to all

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2020 at 7:22 PM, Ravbo said:

We always leave the daily gratuities in place and give the following to the individuals at the end of the cruise.

Also should mention we always stay in suits.

We also use the Specialty Restaurants every other day.

Butler - $15.00 to $20.00 per day of cruise (extra for parties in suite).

Suite Attendant - $15.00 to $20.00 per day of cruise.

Luminae Maitre'D - $5.00 per day of cruise.

Luminae Waiter - $15.00 to $20.00 per day of cruise.

Luminae Assistant Waiter - $5.00 per day of cruise.

Luminae Wine Sommelier - $10.00 to $15.00 per day of cruise.

Michaels Club Concierge - $5.00 per day of cruise.

Michaels Club Bartender - $5.00 per day of cruise.

Other Bartenders - $5.00 per day of cruise.

Specialty Restaurant Waiter - $200.00 per cruise.

Specialty Restaurant Wine Sommelier - $50.00 per cruise.

Safe travels,

Bob

"  Also should mention we always stay in suits ".

( Just a little humor )--------

You are extremely generous, however, it's not necessary to stay in suits even if you are staying in a suite

Thank you for starting this thread. We usually stay in a sky suite and our tips vary based on overall service and any special requests we make: room steward $20-$40, Luminae waiter $25-$50, Luminae assistant waiter around $15, Luminae hostess 0- $10, maitre'd 0-$20 (usually $10) , wine steward $10 (occasionally $20) as we usually just order the same 1-2 wines at dinner. Regarding butlers, we usually tip $20-40 but one butler got nothing extra because we barely saw him and this past cruise we tipped our butler $75 because he did quite a bit for us. For Michael's Club concierge and bartender 0-$20 depending on if we are there a lot or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2020 at 1:21 PM, Texed said:

I have tipped the waffle maker extra.  Quite a few times.  😁

On a side note, I'm just returning to the boards (and cruising) after a several year hiatus, an I was wondering when I'd see that Texas guy who LOVES waffles. And here you are 👋

Thanks for all the replies. As an Australian where tipping is rare, this thread is very helpfully.

A Question: We are going on the Solstice from Melbourne in a few weeks. If we wanted to tip will the staff be happy with Australian dollars if we want to tip?

11 minutes ago, peter1956 said:

Thanks for all the replies. As an Australian where tipping is rare, this thread is very helpfully.

A Question: We are going on the Solstice from Melbourne in a few weeks. If we wanted to tip will the staff be happy with Australian dollars if we want to tip?

You should be fine , I sure you will not be only one. 

39 minutes ago, peter1956 said:

The staff can change it to a different currency.  Or perhaps if the ship is in Australia for a while, they will be able to spend it on shore. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2020 at 10:07 AM, Bo1953 said:

I just remembered that on our Edge sailing in November, a few Service Staff requested that we Do Not Leave ANY cash but mention them by name on our comment cards.

I obliged, of course when it was warranted.

bon voyage

Really a good recommendation.   We usually compliment good service about halfway point when they leave the Attention to Detail sheet on your bed.   They definitely get recognition.   We had a couple of staff thank us and told us they were called up during morning staff meeting and given a voucher that could be used in the gift shop for things they enjoy.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2020 at 4:39 PM, GRBlizz said:

On a side note, I'm just returning to the boards (and cruising) after a several year hiatus, an I was wondering when I'd see that Texas guy who LOVES waffles. And here you are 👋

Yeah, it is hard to get rid of me.  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2