Corona virus RCI policy

Royal has quite a few Chinese crew. I assume there is a possibility of a new hire crew member from the infected area joining the fleet and passing it on? Hopefully Royal is accounting for this with their crew.  Reports say the incubation period is up to two weeks.  If that is true...people are walking around with no symptoms yet carrying the virus.

On 1/26/2020 at 10:57 AM, Joebucks said:

More people die from the flu than they have from Corona virus. How many of these "new virus" epidemics were anything to be concerned about?

If the numbers are accurate, 2-3 out of 100 who get the coronavirus die, 1 of 1000 who get the flu die. What we don't know is how many will get the coronavirus, as it is only been known for a few months.

If going to the Caribbean, should we be concerned about this Cornoavirus? I mean people from China or ones that have visited could potentially be on our ship.🤔 Headed to Eastern Caribbean in a couple weeks.

The first case has already hit Florida. As a nurse, I wouldn’t plan like you’re going to get it, but it wouldn’t hurt to put a few masks in your suitcase in case it appears it might be on the ship. You can get them at Walgreens, etc. Worst case scenario, you’re more prepared/protected than others. Best case, you don’t need them. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dancingnurse79 said:

The first case has already hit Florida. As a nurse, I wouldn’t plan like you’re going to get it, but it wouldn’t hurt to put a few masks in your suitcase in case it appears it might be on the ship. You can get them at Walgreens, etc. Worst case scenario, you’re more prepared/protected than others. Best case, you don’t need them. 

Excellent idea! Thank you!

16 minutes ago, The Grumpus said:

Really?  Is this confirmed by CDC?

2 minutes ago, luisc25 said:

As of today I don’t see Florida.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

Dang. I may have been fooled by a fb posted article. I know that some schools in south Florida were quarantining due to a possible case there but I could have sworn I saw it was confirmed. I will trust the cdc over fb though. 😂 But my advice to the OP still stands. It doesn’t hurt to be prepared. Some people pack the kitchen sink anyway. What’s a few flat masks in a suitcase gonna hurt?

4 hours ago, Dancingnurse79 said:

Dang. I may have been fooled by a fb posted article. I know that some schools in south Florida were quarantining due to a possible case there but I could have sworn I saw it was confirmed. I will trust the cdc over fb though. 😂 But my advice to the OP still stands. It doesn’t hurt to be prepared. Some people pack the kitchen sink anyway. What’s a few flat masks in a suitcase gonna hurt?

Well there are 36 PUI maybe in those 36 are some in Florida.

I always wonder if those flat mask really protect 😷, I would think you need like an N95 mask. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, P.A. said:

If going to the Caribbean, should we be concerned about this Cornoavirus? I mean people from China or ones that have visited could potentially be on our ship.🤔 Headed to Eastern Caribbean in a couple weeks.

Currently Chinese people are not allowed to travel on group trips (by there Government). So all Chinese are allowed to cancel. There might still be Chinese onboard as they have been abroad prior to the travel ban. But I don´t think you have to worry. Currently many airlines have seized their flights to/from China. So no new people are coming.

steamboats

3 hours ago, luisc25 said:

I always wonder if those flat mask really protect 😷, I would think you need like an N95 mask. 

Very few infections are actually airborne (needing an N95 mask or PAPR system) -- most are transmitted by droplets. 

Droplet transmission can be from an infected person coughing or sneezing droplets directly into your face (eyes/nose/mouth), or from touching something that was contaminated and then touching your face or food with the contaminated hand.  

So in other words, the best way to prevent coronavirus and influenza and norovirus and most other infectious diseases is to wash your hands, thoroughly and frequently.  

• Like 10

5 hours ago, luisc25 said:

You would need an N95 mask for protection against the coronavirus. Wearing a flat mask will not offer much protection. You are touching the mask and your face taking on and off, which actually could give you more exposure to the virus. The flat masks are better for use by people that are sick to help prevent spreading the infection, not for protection.

Edited by lr657
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, lr657 said:

You would need an N95 mask for protection against the coronavirus. Wearing a flat mask will not offer much protection. You are touching the mask and your face taking on and off, which actually could give you more exposure to the virus. The flat masks are better for use by people that are sick to help prevent spreading the infection, not for protection.

Any protection would be helpful in a petri dish like a plane. One sneeze or cough can spray a mist of aerosolized particles to people a dozen seats away.   Sure a 95 might be the best but even a simple over the ears might help reduce the chances. Same goes for eye glasses. 

6 minutes ago, lr657 said:

Yes the N95 mask may help but it has to be worn properly with the proper fit and it will not filter out all of the virus as the virus is smaller than what the mask can filter.  It may stop large particles but can still let smaller particles in. 

The best advice is to wash you hands and try not touching your face along with avoiding large crowds.  This hold true for the flu as well.  In general if think you are have the flu it’s best to  stay home and if you must go out then wear a mask to help stop the spread of the virus. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, luisc25 said:

There are some folding ones that are pretty good. 

But not the basic surgical mask.  Surgical masks are to protect the patient from the medical staff.   People in Asia wear they when THEY are sick, to avoid spreading what they have.

14 minutes ago, Sail n Snow said:

Yes the N95 mask may help but it has to be worn properly with the proper fit and it will not filter out all of the virus as the virus is smaller than what the mask can filter.  It may stop large particles but can still let smaller particles in. 

The best advice is to wash you hands and try not touching your face along with avoiding large crowds.  This hold true for the flu as well.  In general if think you are have the flu it’s best to  stay home and if you must go out then wear a mask to help stop the spread of the virus. 

As an RN who spent a few years of my career in Infection Control, I think that is excellent advice. Common sense prevention with good hand washing is the best advice. Again mask should only be needed if you are sick and want to avoid spreading whatever you have. Using a mask to avoid getting sick isn't really helpful at all. 

• Like 1

1)  Corona viruses are the ones that cause the common cold. So everyone has been exposed to them.  So there is likely some partial immunity in healthy people

2)  Most of those dying are older (I have heard over 70% were over 60, and over 60 in other countries is not the same as 1st world over 60) or young.  Low performing immune system, less resources to deal with serious illness.  When corona virus infections leave the nasal area, they go deep into the lungs, leading to viral pneumonia.

3)  No one knows REALLY how many cases there are, since a lot of people could have a mild case and never report it.  We are seeing mortality rates based on cases bad enough for the people to seek medical care.

First time caller, long time listener.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/coronavirus-6000-tourists-lockdown-italian-cruise-ship-200130120822687.html

Sail out on Feb 16th aboard the Allure. These are the things starting to worry me! If this happens to more ships, you could see MANY trickle down delays across numerous ships. Praying for the best however!

1 hour ago, lr657 said:

As an RN who spent a few years of my career in Infection Control, I think that is excellent advice. Common sense prevention with good hand washing is the best advice. Again mask should only be needed if you are sick and want to avoid spreading whatever you have. Using a mask to avoid getting sick isn't really helpful at all. 

As a retired RN, I would say this is the best advice I have read!😀

Sherri🙂

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, littlehorse said:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/coronavirus-6000-tourists-lockdown-italian-cruise-ship-200130120822687.html

Sail out on Feb 16th aboard the Allure. These are the things starting to worry me! If this happens to more ships, you could see MANY trickle down delays across numerous ships. Praying for the best however!

Welcome to the forum.  

Congratulations on your first post.  

I am not a big fan of fear, but to each their own.

jc

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, littlehorse said:

Time will tell how this affects all our lives.

That person with the virus could have been on a flight 5 days ago and been going to all the places we frequent each and every day spreading it. .

Now we have a scare and hopefully people all over the country start paying more attention to washing hands and covering mouths. 

Imagine how things like this CoronaV. and the dreaded NoroV. would be insignificant if only people were a little more careful..

Looking forward to our upcoming cruises with nothing but great expectations..

Edited by boscobeans
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Welcome to the forum.  

Congratulations on your first post.  

I am not a big fan of fear, but to each their own.

jc

I wouldn't call it fear. More of a general stress. This trip has been booked for a year and a half. Counting down the days has been a long process haha. Getting this close and having something come up that could even delay it is generally worrisome 😐