Daily newspapers really gone?

knippsel

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

The question remains though, does that environmental program adopted by HAL actually accomplish anything significant for the 'good planet Earth"?  Or, is it just marketing? Or, perhaps using environmentalism to justify cost savings?

Every little bit helps.  

18 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Every little bit helps.  

Not necessarily, especially if the cost of 'every little bit' exceeds the expected results.

For example, we could drastically reduce auto deaths by vigorously enforcing a drastically reduced speed limit.  Perhaps 15 MPH on the Interstates and 5 MPH elsewhere.  Would that be worth it? 

4 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Sorry. You’d have to have a closer correlation to pollution in your example.  Unless you’re implying that bodies and vehicle parts are littering the highways. 😜

That's dodging the point.  You can justify all sorts of changes with the "every little bit helps" mantra even when many of those changes have an insignificant impact on the environment or the costs far exceed the value to the environment.  

8 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Or, perhaps using environmentalism to justify cost savings?

My opinion?  Yes.

8 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Or, is it just marketing?

My opinion?  Marketing such corporate environmental concern supports sales to those guests who share such concerns in how those guests choose to spend their money.

7 hours ago, GRACECRUISE said:

Wonder if they eliminated the Comment Card?

The end of the cruise paper survey "bit the dust" several years ago.  Comment Cards designed to communicate questions/concerns/issues to the Front Office Staff and the Hotel Director are still there.  In fact, on both Eurodam and Volendam, there was a special drop box and paper forms to send a communication specifically to the Hotel Director.

• Like 1

Hmm, help me with please.

the newspapers are recyclable (paper is recyclable)

But the glossy stuff the spa and other advertising that is put out is not.

So why eliminate the newspapers - or at least have them available on request?

I guess I will find out on the Zuiderdam but they might not like my answer as my mailbox is stuffed with un-recyclable junk.

On 2/22/2020 at 8:17 PM, kazu said:

Hmm, help me with please.

the newspapers are recyclable (paper is recyclable)

But the glossy stuff the spa and other advertising that is put out is not.

So why eliminate the newspapers - or at least have them available on request?

I guess I will find out on the Zuiderdam but they might not like my answer as my mailbox is stuffed with un-recyclable junk.

I totally agree. We were on the Nieuw Statendam in October. I noticed a huge reduction in the number of flyers delivered on the ship. There were many days when we got nothing. I did pick up our news papers every day.   On the other hand, we were on the Zuiderdam last month. The flyers were non-stop. Every day, I commented on the onslaught. Again, we read the news papers every day. The app was so useless, I never bothered with it after the third day, and I had no ideas that there was news on it. Please, HAL, let me go to the desk and get one (three, actually, since I read The Canadian, Britain and US news) to read. Save the spa/store flyers. I could not care less about those.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, detroit70 said:

They were gone in January when I boarded the Eurodam.

My experience as well and the Front Desk staff member was not able to print me a copy.  She said:   "Use the App--no smart phone, I replied.  I'll help you set up an account on a computer in the Business Center.  I replied:  not interested.  I don't read my local paper online and am surely not going to do so on a ship."

Is this an example of "Signature of Excellence" service?  I don't think so.  

This having no printed news letters on board definitely is an extremely complicated "First World Problem",  but by golly I am going to suck it up and persevere. I'm going to get into the 2020's and get me one of them fancy sell phone things and maybe one of them tablets that I see folks using. This could be more entertainment than ice fishing in the cement pond out back of my place.

• Like 1