Edge skips Costa Maya today.

Quo Vadis?

24 minutes ago, LLindaC said:

I’m on the Edge and I’m glad we skipped Costa Maya. We got to Cozumel At 6 pm and were able to eat dinner at El Moro, which is closed on Thursdays. Fabulous as always! Lots of crew members were thrilled to have an evening in Coz! They needed it. 

I think they must have. We are on the next cruise on this itinerary. We do Key West on the Monday, Costa Mayo on the Wednesday and Cozumel on the Thursday.

When in Costa Maya, go to Jaimie's at the Blue Reef Beach Club & Hotel on the promenade in Mahahual. Great inexpensive food and drinks. Try their ceviche. Jaimie has made Costa Maya our favorite port. Going back in October for our 5th straight year to spend the day with Jaimie.

30 minutes ago, godawgs227 said:

When in Costa Maya, go to Jaimie's at the Blue Reef Beach Club & Hotel on the promenade in Mahahual. Great inexpensive food and drinks. Try their ceviche. Jaimie has made Costa Maya our favorite port. Going back in October for our 5th straight year to spend the day with Jaimie.

I agree. We had a very relaxing day there.

Costa Maya will always be one of my favourite ports because of the tour we did with Natives Choice a few years ago. We hadn’t planned an excursion this time, so no loss there, but it was REALLY windy on deck and we retreated to the lovely quiet of Eden instead of being outside.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we miss Grand Cayman tomorrow, too. The wind is still blowing like crazy and the waves might be too much for the tenders. It will be interesting to see what happens come morning.

Either way, we are loving the ship and are enjoying our holiday!

• Like 2

Costa  Maya is an iffy port much like Grand Cayman,,,can never be sure  if  wind and sea conditions will cooperate with docking.

Snorkeling at Costa Maya can also be in rough seas!

Hope folks can accept changes and go with the flow!

24 minutes ago, hcat said:

Costa  Maya is an iffy port much like Grand Cayman,,,can never be sure  if  wind and sea conditions will cooperate with docking.

Snorkeling at Costa Maya can also be in rough seas!

Hope folks can accept changes and go with the flow!

I have never been able to snorkel in Costa Maya.  The seas area huge factor when you tender at Grand Cayman  and also being able to dock in Costa Maya.  In Costa Maya, it depends on which dock you have been assigned.  I have missed both ports but not on the same cruise due to wind direction.  

8 hours ago, CruiserMickey said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we miss Grand Cayman tomorrow, too. The wind is still blowing like crazy and the waves might be too much for the tenders. It will be interesting to see what happens come morning.

Either way, we are loving the ship and are enjoying our holiday!

In December, we ended up in Spotts Bay off Grand Cayman because the wind/current was too strong in the Georgetown harbor. Celebrity had busses to take people to the town from there.

13 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

In December, we ended up in Spotts Bay off Grand Cayman because the wind/current was too strong in the Georgetown harbor. Celebrity had busses to take people to the town from there.

I think I was on that cruise.

21 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Did you overnight in Cozumel?  If so that is way better than a day in Costa Maya, which is probably my least favorite port in the Caribbean.

Yes we did. What a treat! We took friends to a local place we love for dinner and enjoyed the lights! 

Yep, happens all the time, and finally "caught up" to us on our Italy/Dalmation Coast cruise in November 2019 on the Constellation.  In Dubrovnik, while docked, winds hit 45 mph on shore (they stopped letting people off), and on the nearby mountain winds were 70+ mph (we were up there!).  This cost us the next stop in Kotor, Montenegro, which you must sail through a fjord, and then it was also a tender port.  They told us they were not even going to try.  As disappointed as we were to miss one of the most anticipated stops (European travel isn't something that happens often!), we were in turn given Corfu, Greece since the ship could dock.  This was the same Dalmatian Sea system that caused the flooding in Venice, which we just missed.

Likewise, we almost missed Naples due to rough seas, however after hovering for 2 hours, the ship was cleared to dock.

Yes, it is disappointing, but we do remind ourselves that it should always be safety first!

I don't get tendering.  Does the Edge tender more because it is a new ship?  I have been on 10 cruises (sorry if it is not more) but all of my port misses were on the Edge.  In 9 cruises I have never missed a port.  Yet on the Edge we missed quite a few and were rereouted.  Is this a new ship thing?

I do think that checking the number of tender ports is a must now days.

We had real ports in GC.

Edited by NMTraveller