Edge skips Costa Maya today.

Quo Vadis?

5 hours ago, JFontaine said:

I wonder how the NCL ship got in.  Safe travels. 

The docks are on different axis.  One is east/west and the other north/south so if the wind is in one direction it is possible that ships berthing at the other dock may be able to dock. A few weeks ago on Allure of the Sea we were able to dock while the NCL Breakaway using the other dock was unable to dock. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm sorry you missed the port.  My Equinox cruise last Sept. skipped Key West in favor of Labadee, Haiti.  They decided to skip it 2 days ahead of docking in anticipation of high winds and the port being closed.  Turns out it never closed.  I was very disappointed as I'd ordered 3 dozen bagels in Key West( we have crappy bagels in SoCal).   I did not care for the port in Haiti whatsoever. 

36 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

If there were a port I wouldn't mind missing, it's Costa Maya. 😊

I don’t agree. I would not want to miss Costa Maya. A few weeks ago we had a great beach day at Mahahual.  A few years ago we visited nearby a Mayan archaeological site. I would not have wanted to miss either experience.  

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

We have had to skip Costa Maya before for the same reason.  

I'd hate to miss Costa Maya too...I've always had fun there!

That looks like the Getaway.  It was scheduled to dock at 7AM.  Edge was scheduled at 8AM.  A lot can happen in an hour on the ocean...  

Edited by chill6x6

High winds caused the 2 Carnival ships to hit each other while trying to dock in Cozumel in December, so I am sure the cruise lines have new guidelines for high wind docking. We all hate to miss a port but it happens all the time. At least the Edge got to go to Cozumel. On 4 HAL Caribbean cruises that included stops at their private Island, Half Moon Cay, we missed the port 3 times because of high winds and spent the last day of our cruises sailing in circles off of Ft Lauderdale.

Edited by terrydtx

We are due there on the 19th alongside the Norwegian Escape. I don't think the area around the ship is designed to handle around 8,000 passengers plus crew.

We have been once and found it extremely busy. We ended up walking into the town that is closest to the dock area, had a drink and walked back. There wasn't anything on the walk that would encourage me to repeat it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

We are due there on the 19th alongside the Norwegian Escape. I don't think the area around the ship is designed to handle around 8,000 passengers plus crew.

We have been once and found it extremely busy. We ended up walking into the town that is closest to the dock area, had a drink and walked back. There wasn't anything on the walk that would encourage me to repeat it.

I think we're on the same sailing. 

Like I said, I booked Maya Chan so I know there are limited people who will be there. 🙂 

(That said, that number is nothing like what we'll face in Cozumel!! Eek!!! Very glad I went with an excursion that only Celebrity and Royal do (per cruise port insider)!!)

2 hours ago, Wine-O said:

Ships miss ports all the time due to weather.  Why is this newsworthy?  🍷

40 plus cruises for me, and a long time member here, and I didn't know that ships miss ports because of wind - and curious to learn that one ship might get in but another might not because of the direction of the dock.  I knew that ships miss ports to avoid storms, and they sometimes don't anchor because tendering would be too dangerous - but this is a first for me to learn that a ship tried to dock for two hours and then gave up, and if it is a first for me, it is likely for others as well.  Cheers to you. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

40 plus cruises for me, and a long time member here, and I didn't know that ships miss ports because of wind - and curious to learn that one ship might get in but another might not because of the direction of the dock.  I knew that ships miss ports to avoid storms, and they sometimes don't anchor because tendering would be too dangerous - but this is a first for me to learn that a ship tried to dock for two hours and then gave up, and if it is a first for me, it is likely for others as well.  Cheers to you. 

We missed a port  (St. John's Newfoundland) on a recent Canada/New England cruise due to high winds as we were entering the harbor.  They closed the port at the last minute.  🍷

1 hour ago, JFontaine said:

The high winds are more of an issue in tender ports where it is too rough and dangerous to offload passengers to the tenders. This happened to us 3 times at HAL's private island. It also happened to us once at Grand Cayman on RCCL. The high winds also make just anchoring  dangerous.   I think after what happened in Cozumel with the Carnival Glory  Legend last December has cruise lines now reassessing docking in high winds.  The high winds caught the Glory's side and overcame the side thruster's ability to maneuver her at the dock and she collided with the Legend causing some extensive damage.

3 hours ago, JFontaine said:

It only happened once to us at Coco Cay when the couldn’t get the staff on the island but we had friends who did a Hawaii cruise and several ports were missed, which I think is a regular occurrence there.

I’m on the Edge and I’m glad we skipped Costa Maya. We got to Cozumel At 6 pm and were able to eat dinner at El Moro, which is closed on Thursdays. Fabulous as always! Lots of crew members were thrilled to have an evening in Coz! They needed it. 

1 minute ago, LLindaC said:

I’m on the Edge and I’m glad we skipped Costa Maya. We got to Cozumel At 6 pm and were able to eat dinner at El Moro, which is closed on Thursdays. Fabulous as always! Lots of crew members were thrilled to have an evening in Coz! They needed it. 

Did you overnight in Cozumel?  If so that is way better than a day in Costa Maya, which is probably my least favorite port in the Caribbean.