CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

So two flights have taken US Passengers off the Diamond Princess to Ca and Tx for quarantine and 14 of those who did not have, now have the virus and were segregated on the planes.  Think the real concern is the HAL ship that could not find a port to disembark and finally did and one American who left and came back now has the virus.  Is the cat out of the bag?

They were tested before the flights. But they hadn’t received the results yet, so were isolated on the planes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ebonybee said:

This is very concerning.  Is the current incubation protocols incorrect?

No expert here, but they thought 14 days would cover.  That timeline had not completed, they were brought back for better care.  The HAL person they did not have any cases before the one noted. 

Agreed that the flu shot is irrelevant to this discussion. I just concerned when people get into the narrative that why bother getting one since it is so ineffective. Getting back on topic as for "Is the current incubation protocols incorrect?"= I had read that the quarantine was not 100%, it was just slowing the spread of the virus. Sure they follow PPE guidelines and all that but a ship isn't designed for this. So while 14 days might be the incubation period, that means 14 days from the time the last person has the virus, if it keeps spreading person to person it can keep going on. But it is possible the incubation period is different.

Edited by M2LR

2 minutes ago, M2LR said:

Agreed that the flu shot is irrelevant to this discussion. I just concerned when people get into the narrative that why bother getting one since it is so ineffective. Getting back on topic as for "Is the current incubation protocols incorrect?"= I had read that the quarantine was not 100%, it was just slowing the spread of the virus. Sure they follow PPE guidelines and all that but a ship isn't designed for this. So while 14 days might be the incubation period, that means 14 days from the time the last person has the virus, if it keeps spreading person to person it can keep going on. But it is possible the incubation period is different.

That was my logic as well (on restarting the clock), but I am not sure that is true any more.  How else are they releasing cruisers on Diamond Princess?

My husband works in a virology lab and they are prepared for if they need to start testing. Assuming this follows the paths of similar coronaviruses we've seen he's hopeful that it will die down and become less of a concern once spring starts but he's also said this is more of a concern than SARS because it spreads more easily.

I don't know what they'd do with someone from Toronto because so far I've only hear about Americans, but the Americans are getting flown on charter flights to military bases in California and Texas. They will remain there on base in strict quarantine for 14 days. Once that is over, assuming they are still not testing positive, they will be free to fly/drive back to wherever they came from or wish to go.  I think Canada is doing something similar with its passengers.

Edited by M2LR

4 hours ago, M2LR said:

I believe they are flying them back to the US and going to do a 14 day quarantine here. Then they can actually take them to a facility set up for a proper effective quarantine.

What about those who stay until the Princess quarantine is complete?  They work with Princess on how airlines and how many stops before arriving home. 

4 hours ago, M2LR said:

My husband works in a virology lab and they are prepared for if they need to start testing. Assuming this follows the paths of similar coronaviruses we've seen he's hopeful that it will die down and become less of a concern once spring starts but he's also said this is more of a concern than SARS because it spreads more easily.

We can all agree on that, the operative word there is hopeful. 

4 hours ago, M2LR said:

I don't know what they'd do with someone from Toronto because so far I've only hear about Americans, but the Americans are getting flown on charter flights to military bases in California and Texas. They will remain there on base in strict quarantine for 14 days. Once that is over, assuming they are still not testing positive, they will be free to fly/drive back to wherever they came from or wish to go.  I think Canada is doing something similar with its passengers.

They had the option to stay and not take the flight I believe.  

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

How could they not know u till they get ready to evacuate the Americans there were 70 positives they previously missed?

.... and put 14 of them on the bus before they found out they were positive for the virus

Hard to keep the faith this is controllable 

I am sure that everyone is doing their very best to do just that, contain it.  They are the experts, lets all hope they can do just that. 

I found a reduced solo price Feb 29th, darn, I've been waiting over 2 months for a teeth cleaning appt, not easy to make where I go. I called on a rcl rate, sold out.  Lucky lol. 

I'd be ok especially with a bland cruise like to key west and Bahamas. 

Trying but missed some good deals earlier this morning when I was gone.

Not going any where spectacular.. just somewhere easy.

So far luckily nothing has worked ha. Bland it is.

I don't think this is controllable, the question is how bad it is going to get before it gets better.  We'll just have to wait and see. I am glad we aren't cruising until summer so we have time to see how this develops.  

51 minutes ago, M2LR said:

I don't think this is controllable, the question is how bad it is going to get before it gets better.  We'll just have to wait and see. I am glad we aren't cruising until summer so we have time to see how this develops.  

Yes, it would appear that the "containment" bucket has a few holes in it!  

What I find really interesting is how 2 people can be in the same state room and only 1 of the 2 is found to be positive.  From the news it sounds like this is very contagious, yet some are sharing a small stateroom and not infecting the other person.  I believe there is an awful lot that they don't know or understand about this virus yet.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, E@syPe@zy said:

Yes, it would appear that the "containment" bucket has a few holes in it!  

What I find really interesting is how 2 people can be in the same state room and only 1 of the 2 is found to be positive.  From the news it sounds like this is very contagious, yet some are sharing a small stateroom and not infecting the other person.  I believe there is an awful lot that they don't know or understand about this virus yet.  

Not everyone who is exposed to something will come down with it. That is the nature of different immune systems. Otherwise everyone would be sick most of the time. My husband had the flu. I did not. No special precautions taken. I have good genes. 🙂

13 minutes ago, bitemyfly said:

Has the industry developed  a way to clean the infected ships already? Im assuming that each virus may be cleaned a bit different? 

I don't know but am watching this with interest as someone who seemed to know what they were talking about mentioned that the plumbing is all contaminated with a biohazard.  How this is different, or if it is, from Noro, I don't know (maybe b/c this virus seems to be airborne?), but I'll be curious to read about the details, if they are ever released.

1 hour ago, bitemyfly said:

Has the industry developed  a way to clean the infected ships already? Im assuming that each virus may be cleaned a bit different? 

I do not think they have any idea.  The CDC May have ideas for them.  On the news tonight was a congressman who took China to task big time and debunked the whole food origin claim as the start.  Interesting, but the point is they really are guessing at this point.  If they do not know the cause, the cure, or how to clean the ship other than standard noro measures is def in question.   Lots of variables here, which does not help.   

Edited by jimbo5544

5 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

They had the option to stay and not take the flight I believe.  

But, Princess also told them that they don't know when they will be allowed to return to the US.  That is going to be up to the Japanese and US Governments.  Also, airlines may be unwilling to fly them if they don't complete another quarantine in Japan.  I would have rolled the dice and gotten on the plane and hoped for the best.  I would rather do my time in quarantine in the US rather than in Japan, especially since I don't speak the language and I can't stand the food.

The Jan Swartz talks on You Tube have been very enlightening.  There are many unknowns and she acknowledges that.  The good thing is that she said that once the crew is allowed to go home, they will all have a 2 month paid vacation.

7 minutes ago, DebJ14 said:

But, Princess also told them that they don't know when they will be allowed to return to the US.  That is going to be up to the Japanese and US Governments.  Also, airlines may be unwilling to fly them if they don't complete another quarantine in Japan.  I would have rolled the dice and gotten on the plane and hoped for the best.  I would rather do my time in quarantine in the US rather than in Japan, especially since I don't speak the language and I can't stand the food.

The Jan Swartz talks on You Tube have been very enlightening.  There are many unknowns and she acknowledges that.  The good thing is that she said that once the crew is allowed to go home, they will all have a 2 month paid vacation.

No easy answers, the crew will need the time.  Wonder what will happen to the ship during that time?

19 minutes ago, Thorncroft said:

In addition to all the sick people running around, pay attention to the devastating impact that this is having on international trade, shipping and logistics.  It's not just a health and safety issue. 

I totally agree. The international shipping ramifications are staggering. I will say no more.