CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

9 hours ago, Bulldogsoc said:

When we boarded the Norwegian Sun out of Canaveral a week ago Friday, they checked every page of everyone's passport.  It took about 90 minutes and while nobody likes the wait, most seemed pretty glad they were doing it.

I boarded Carnival Elation on the 8th in Port Canaveral and all they had us do is fill out a form - had we been to Asia? - had a fever? - been sick? - etc. They only checked our passports for ID  and never looked at the stamped pages.

So, I will admit that I know very little about this. We are sailing on the Dream with my husband's office in under two weeks...I think Feb 28th or 29th.  Is there anything I need to be worried about?  They have not quarantined any of the US ships, have they?  

Let me clarify, I am not asking with respect to the threat of the virus as my understanding is things are relatively normal in Mexico (only place we are going) and my dr husband and his sister who is a Family NP don't seemed too concerned. I have not heard much about it here in Houston.  I have heard more about the flu, frankly. I think I heard something akin to 1600 or so flu deaths in Texas. Fortunately, all going on the cruise have had our shots since everyone but me works in a dr's office and I got them with my children.  I would hope flu season would be winding down soon...probably in time for concern to start about the mosquito born illnesses that are always a threat (like West Nile) due to our hot and humid weather conditions.  I hope Zika stays away.  What a world we live in, huh?   

My question is  with respect to whether there has been any problems with embarkation/debarkation on ships out of Galveston or with respect to Carnival ships. I have not seen anything of any concern on here, but wanted to check.  

1 hour ago, Eli_6 said:

Let me clarify, I am not asking with respect to the threat of the virus as my understanding is things are relatively normal in Mexico (only place we are going) and my dr husband and his sister who is a Family NP don't seemed too concerned. 

Last B2B out of Galveston I caught a cold on first leg ... not the first time either. Had to get off between legs and go buy cold medicine. But I finished the cruise. People get on all the time who are sick. Yep could be flu but i catch a lots of colds when i cruise, which is mostly out of galveston. 

I try not to touch railings when I climb the steps. I think those are the worst, but you just have to be careful what you touch.  I have a bad habit of rubbing my eyes, which is probably why i pick up colds so easily when i cruise. 

just try and not touch stuff any more than you have to is what I do. Other than washing your hands not much else you can do.

8 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

So, I will admit that I know very little about this. We are sailing on the Dream with my husband's office in under two weeks...I think Feb 28th or 29th.  Is there anything I need to be worried about?  They have not quarantined any of the US ships, have they?  

Nothing in the Caribbean, it’s good

I’m worried about this disease. My hubby is a lobbyist so we deal with people who have really high security clearances and who are privy to in depth briefings. Obviously they don’t give away secrets or confidential info but I can just tell when the subject comes up that they are really uneasy. 

Based on the crises of past days, it seems like the people in the know are taking it pretty seriously. Many have pulled their kids out of international programs already. I’m old enough to remember SARs, Anthrax, Y2k and Waco. This is the most concerned I’ve ever seen these people about anything other than 9/11.

All of that said, no one has canceled their vacations (that I know of) so we’ll be waiting until that time to do it.

Edited by lottiegreen56

2 hours ago, lottiegreen56 said:

I’m worried about this disease. My hubby is a lobbyist so we deal with people who have really high security clearances and who are privy to in depth briefings. Obviously they don’t give away secrets or confidential info but I can just tell when the subject comes up that they are really uneasy. 

Based on the crises of past days, it seems like the people in the know are taking it pretty seriously. Many have pulled their kids out of international programs already. I’m old enough to remember SARs, Anthrax, Y2k and Waco. This is the most concerned I’ve ever seen these people about anything other than 9/11.

All of that said, no one has canceled their vacations (that I know of) so we’ll be waiting until that time to do it.

I'm worried too, so Im watching. Unlike SARS this isnt cure them and it goes away. Military preparing for a pandemic 

.... that being said so far it hasnt gotten loose here. Just gotta keep a eye on things.

13 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Let me clarify, I am not asking with respect to the threat of the virus as my understanding is things are relatively normal in Mexico (only place we are going) and my dr husband and his sister who is a Family NP don't seemed too concerned. I have not heard much about it here in Houston.  I have heard more about the flu, frankly. I think I heard something akin to 1600 or so flu deaths in Texas. Fortunately, all going on the cruise have had our shots since everyone but me works in a dr's office and I got them with my children.  I would hope flu season would be winding down soon...probably in time for concern to start about the mosquito born illnesses that are always a threat (like West Nile) due to our hot and humid weather conditions.  I hope Zika stays away.  What a world we live in, huh?   

My question is  with respect to whether there has been any problems with embarkation/debarkation on ships out of Galveston or with respect to Carnival ships. I have not seen anything of any concern on here, but wanted to check.  

Do you and your family get the pneumonia vaccinations also?

I also have a cruise leaving on the 28th from Galveston and have had my flu shot, but not a pneumonia vac.  I was just wondering your thoughts on that since your DH is a Dr.

6 minutes ago, E@syPe@zy said:

Do you and your family get the pneumonia vaccinations also?

I also have a cruise leaving on the 28th from Galveston and have had my flu shot, but not a pneumonia vac.  I was just wondering your thoughts on that since your DH is a Dr.

I think they generally only recommend it if you are 65 and up or have certain chronic conditions like COPD, etc.  We are ages 5 to 45 and all healthy. 

23 hours ago, Kentucky816 said:

Well the Westerdam that had no cases on it that finally docked in Cambodia has a passenger come down with Coronavirus after flying to Maylasia.  

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-malaysia/american-from-cruise-ship-docked-in-cambodia-tests-positive-in-malaysia-for-coronavirus-idUSKBN2090IW

This is quite concerning as there could be others infected and not showing any symptoms and now they are all on their way home.  

I have the deepest respect and concern for the Princess guests and crew, however the quarantine is necessary.  It's really not so much for them as it is for the well being of the general public.  I believe I would gladly take that charter home, even with another quarantine period.

I see that not only the US, but the Canadian and Hong Kong governments are going to evacuate the non symptomatic guests with a similar 14 day quarantine once they arrive to their home country.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, E@syPe@zy said:

This is quite concerning as there could be others infected and not showing any symptoms and now they are all on their way home.  

I have the deepest respect and concern for the Princess guests and crew, however the quarantine is necessary.  It's really not so much for them as it is for the well being of the general public.  I believe I would gladly take that charter home, even with another quarantine period.

I see that not only the US, but the Canadian and Hong Kong governments are going to evacuate the non symptomatic guests with a similar 14 day quarantine once they arrive to their home country.

Safest thing to do.  

My understanding is that the Diamond Princess was going to take the Medallion program online the next cruise that was scheduled.  It would have been interesting had the program been in effect for this cruise that was quarantined. 

It of course would be quite an undertaking, but to be able to track the individual that had the virus from the beginning and other passengers and crew he came in contact with over the course of the cruise.  

• Like 2

Is there any numbers on how many of the people on the cruise ships that have been quarantined were infected? There's a lot of information I'd like to know but it seems hard to look it up. I also don't understand why if we get flu shots, we even have to worry about this. I mean what's the point if there's thousands of different types of flu?

8 minutes ago, lottiegreen56 said:

Is there any numbers on how many of the people on the cruise ships that have been quarantined were infected? There's a lot of information I'd like to know but it seems hard to look it up. I also don't understand why if we get flu shots, we even have to worry about this. I mean what's the point if there's thousands of different types of flu?

Flu shots are not the end all, in a good year they are 30% effective.  Last year was about 5%.  

10 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Princess additional sailing cancellations for 3 ships.  Big hit for Carnival Corp.

https://cruisefever.net/princess-cruises-cancels-20-sailings-on-three-cruise-ships/

Yes it's a financial hit, but kudos to the corporation for keeping the health and safety of passengers and crew in the forefront.

I believe it will pay off when all is said and done.

Edited by bury me at sea
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

Yes it's a financial hit, but kudos to the corporation for keeping the health and safety of passengers and crew in the forefront.

I believe it will pay off when all is said and done.

I hope you are right 

So two flights have taken US Passengers off the Diamond Princess to Ca and Tx for quarantine and 14 of those who did not have, now have the virus and were segregated on the planes.  Think the real concern is the HAL ship that could not find a port to disembark and finally did and one American who left and came back now has the virus.  Is the cat out of the bag?

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

So two flights have taken US Passengers off the Diamond Princess to Ca and Tx for quarantine and 14 of those who did not have, now have the virus and were segregated on the planes.  Think the real concern is the HAL ship that could not find a port to disembark and finally did and one American who left and came back now has the virus.  Is the cat out of the bag?

This is very concerning.  Is the current incubation protocols incorrect?