CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

1 hour ago, crzndeb said:

Many reports have stated they expect this virus to die down once it gets warmer (sounds like the flu, doesn’t it) Corona virus does not like sun, heat or humidity. Unfortunately, being quarantined on a ship, breathing the same air, has infected more. Had they taken them off the ship, and quarantined in different locations, I bet you wouldn’t have all the cases you do.

The new cases are still within the supposed incubation period from before the quarantine. And they are not breathing contaminated air. That’s not how ventilation systems work.

I really think that what should be of greater concern is all the people sick with cold viruses. I had to go to the medical center with my wife (1st time ever in 18 cruises) and we saw many employees coming in with cold symptoms (cough, sore throat, etc). They would give them meds or do some treatment with a breathing mask and send them on their way. A bunch of the employees we saw are those who come in contact with guests. There were 2 that we saw at Bingo selling cards, etc...

FYI: The medical center is doing corona virus testing for anyone going to the med center with an illness. They say it's a CDC requirement and consists of 2 urine tests (2 days).

1 hour ago, crzndeb said:

Many reports have stated they expect this virus to die down once it gets warmer (sounds like the flu, doesn’t it) Corona virus does not like sun, heat or humidity. Unfortunately, being quarantined on a ship, breathing the same air, has infected more. Had they taken them off the ship, and quarantined in different locations, I bet you wouldn’t have all the cases you do.

That is not true.  There is no proof whatsoever on any of the scientific journal pages that this virus dies out in summer in the northern hemisphere.  Start following scientific journals that publish up to the minute peer reviewed articles.  The Lancet, etc

1 minute ago, barbaraanne said:

That is not true.  There is no proof whatsoever on any of the scientific journal pages that this virus dies out in summer in the northern hemisphere.  Start following scientific journals that publish up to the minute peer reviewed articles.  The Lancet, etc

The first cases were reported in the winter in China 2019. We haven’t hit summer in the Northern Hemisphere, so I’m confused.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, john91498 said:

Not to belittle the 1100 or so deaths, but every person who has died is of Chinese decent.

An American died in China, another from Hong Kong and the Philippines from so maybe do your research before you start to spew nonsense.

10 minutes ago, pvtpyle said:

An American died in China, another from Hong Kong and the Philippines from so maybe do your research before you start to spew nonsense.

I don't know for sure, but, maybe the poster does that it was an ethnic Chinese American, Chinese Filipino & Chinese Kong Konger.

24 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

The first cases were reported in the winter in China 2019. We haven’t hit summer in the Northern Hemisphere, so I’m confused.

That’s correct, we haven’t hit summer yet, so assuming it will die out then is strictly presupposition.  It is a novel virus and nothing is to be assumed until there is some level of proof.  It is not the cold virus, even though somewhat related, and most certainly not the flu virus.  Go over to the Princess boards for more detailed discussion if you wish.

1 hour ago, john91498 said:

Wow, huge jump from 2 days ago. Over 250 more deaths in a single night.

Not sure it has been noted, but the definition of what's considered a confirmed case is "evolving".

To quote CNN:

"The spike in numbers is partly due to a broader definition of what constitutes a confirmed case, to include people diagnosed on the basis of their symptoms rather than testing positive."

Gah, forgot to put in my next thought:

But the death count thing isn't due to definition of a confirmed case.  Maybe just slow reporting of data, finally catching up?

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
typo, slow thinking

26 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Not sure it has been noted, but the definition of what's considered a confirmed case is "evolving".

To quote CNN:

"The spike in numbers is partly due to a broader definition of what constitutes a confirmed case, to include people diagnosed on the basis of their symptoms rather than testing positive."

So, confirmed cases are cases that are not necessarily confirmed.

There’s government for you.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

So, confirmed cases are cases that are not necessarily confirmed.

There’s government for you.

I think (whatever value that has) that the definition has evolved because there aren't enough test kits to go around, so to ensure the count is including everyone (as best they can), they have to start relying on symptomatic diagnoses, not just lab-confirmations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I think (whatever value that has) that the definition has evolved because there aren't enough test kits to go around, so to ensure the count is including everyone (as best they can), they have to start relying on symptomatic diagnoses, not just lab-confirmations.

Except they can say X confirmed cases plus Y suspected cases. 

If they cared about accurate reporting. 

On 2/11/2020 at 1:52 PM, Beardface said:

And right now, its becoming clear that you have to be symptomatic for you to be contagious with this one.  

It's been reported many times that you do NOT have to be symptomatic to spread it.

Also, there was a case on the news saying someone in a high rise apt had given it to someone else suspected thru the air vents. Unfortunately they didnt say where, was it in china? They went on and on how they lived on different floors but I didnt catch where this was in the world. 

I stayed on the channel today as a chinese doctor had just returned who was in self imposed quarantine. He said the chinese have run out of supplies and test kits. They are using xrays to see if someone has pneumonia to say for sure the person has the virus. He felt bad for those in the quarantined cities where food stores have closed and it's hard to get supplies.

I heard again tonight about china running out of test kits. How do we think the numbers can possibly be accurate if they cant test everyone?

I'm just crossing my fingers we here dont have someone who accidentally spreads it. One they discharged from the group they flew home, tested negative, then later positive. It's a problem our tests arent that good yet either.

Hopefully there is some kind of vaccine in 3 or 4 months. True they expect it to die out by may, but come back in the fall. 

I'm sure they are working night and day to make advances. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

LAtest news and specifically RCCL, but this it has ties to this discussion.  Taking a $1.20 hit per share is HUGE, I expect Carnivals to be higher when all is said and done.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22452-royal-caribbean-comments-on-coronavirus.html

As long as it doesn't become an RCI or financial analysis topic...😇

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

LAtest news and specifically RCCL, but this it has ties to this discussion.  Taking a $1.20 hit per share is HUGE, I expect Carnivals to be higher when all is said and done.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22452-royal-caribbean-comments-on-coronavirus.html

FBN says ccl is a buy. Down 16% and 10 times earnings.

Should be recovered in a year, I agree with you, long term good time to buy during crisis.

Sure feel sorry for the chinese. Glad I live here.