CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

8 hours ago, Rynerson27 said:

What are you talking about?

I mean as a stock holder with more than the minimum 100 shares, I'm thinking of selling the rest.

I see most here think this blows over and someone says big deal 4 cents to the bottom line.

Imo as someone who has done stocks longer than some of you have been alive, what I see is moms putting cruising to the bottom of the list of family vacations for a while, not just this spring. People here are such avid cruisers maybe they lose some objectivity? 

Heard today ... the joke is the only way off that princess ship is to get the virus yourself.

Also here   ... maybe it's going thru the air ducts? 

The average mom is going to hesitate longer as rumors spread. 

Doesnt help the chinese have been less than honest, now I hear it's been around since November not December as we thought. 

The longer those folks are quarantined on that ship, the more moms are thinking, I'm not taking a chance. Colorado sounds good or new England or whatever. 

I think the effect lasts more than this spring. They have already said probably will die away in warmer weather but be back in the fall. 

• Like 1

Here it is mid February and personally I'd like to see a special on the virus, not just don't worry, or numbers.

The women above also were saying now they gotta track down all the people on that princess cruise those with the virus came into contact with before the cruise. 

How exactly is it spread ? People want to know about this. Why dont they have a tv special on it. It's already more deadly than SARS which tanked our stock market 20%. Personally I bought chevron and exxon here, and hope a year from now this has a vaccination.. pay over 5% dividend together. But yes I'm concerned with cruise stocks. 

And want to know more about this virus. Seems like it's being deliberately downplayed to me. .. or they just dont know enough to have a tv special.

Those folks could be stuck on princess thru may.. that's not good publicity 

• Like 1

We are cruising to Bahamas in May. This makes me rethink bringing crappy food snacks and instant coffee with us. Also, ordering wines for the room just in case we are quarantined.  And making sure to have a couple months of prescription meds. I never thought about this before. I feel so sorry for these passengers.

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Here it is mid February and personally I'd like to see a special on the virus, not just don't worry, or numbers.

The women above also were saying now they gotta track down all the people on that princess cruise those with the virus came into contact with before the cruise. 

How exactly is it spread ? People want to know about this. Why dont they have a tv special on it. It's already more deadly than SARS which tanked our stock market 20%. Personally I bought chevron and exxon here, and hope a year from now this has a vaccination.. pay over 5% dividend together. But yes I'm concerned with cruise stocks. 

And want to know more about this virus. Seems like it's being deliberately downplayed to me. .. or they just dont know enough to have a tv special.

Those folks could be stuck on princess thru may.. that's not good publicity 

Once it stabilizes.... sure there will be plenty of opportunities to hear more.  

1 hour ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

We are sailing on 3/15 are have been scanning all of the boards to figure out what to do.  There was just a report on NBC News that the incubation period can be up to 23-24 days.  If you decide to go on your Caribbean cruises between now and early March, can you please post live reports if you have time/internet and/or report back on this or another CoronaVirus post so that cruisers after you know what to expect?  Thank you!

We are on a Mexican riviera cruise now and there is absolutely nothing to report. It's business as usual with no mention of the corona virus at all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Thorncroft said:

Still not enough.  Everytime another case is confirmed on Diamond Princess the 14 day clock starts over again. Those people may never get off until every last one of them gets sick.  In about a month people will be faking symtoms or actively trying to get sick just to try to escape from the ship. 

Is that true, I am not sure anymore.listen I def feel for those stuck on the ship, but I am questioning the logic (and I held the same thoughts).  

Edited by jimbo5544

SunNFunCruzer, that is a good request that if anyone on CC cruises within the next 30 days, they post of what or how the ship they are on, is handling the Coronaviris.  You said you were leaving on the 15th of March, and we are doing the same. I could be wrong, but I was thinking if it was that bad, Carnival would cancel the cruise, or do something before hand, as I'm sure they don't want a lot of people sick on their ships, as everyone will be in their rooms, and there won't be any "purchasing" of anything on the ship! 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, geckoaz said:

Just wondering...does carnival insurance allow cancellation in the event of epidemic? I read someone tried to cancel on another line and get 32k refund but was denied. My next cruise is in may. So far so good.

Don’t know but I suspect it does not

11 minutes ago, beshears said:

SunNFunCruzer, that is a good request that if anyone on CC cruises within the next 30 days, they post of what or how the ship they are on, is handling the Coronaviris.  You said you were leaving on the 15th of March, and we are doing the same. I could be wrong, but I was thinking if it was that bad, Carnival would cancel the cruise, or do something before hand, as I'm sure they don't want a lot of people sick on their ships, as everyone will be in their rooms, and there won't be any "purchasing" of anything on the ship! 

Why would anyone expect anything on any Carnival ship now or anytime soon?

23 minutes ago, geckoaz said:

Just wondering...does carnival insurance allow cancellation in the event of epidemic? I read someone tried to cancel on another line and get 32k refund but was denied. My next cruise is in may. So far so good.

May is a long time away

Jimbo5544, I am NOT planning on anything happening!  I just thought SunNFunCruzer had a good question, "if" someone had been on one of the ships here recently with the Coronaviris, it would be nice to know how the ship handled the situation.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, beshears said:

Jimbo5544, I am NOT planning on anything happening!  I just thought SunNFunCruzer had a good question, "if" someone had been on one of the ships here recently with the Coronaviris, it would be nice to know how the ship handled the situation.

Maybe I misunderstood.  Are there any ships other than the Diamond Princess that have had an outbreaK?  We were in contact with someone on Anthem OTS while they sorted that out.  They knew less than we knew.  Has anyone seen any regular posts from the Diamond Princess?

I get it that the fear is spreading. This is serious.  BUT I want to point out to everybody, that there has been no, zero, zip, zilch reported, OR confirmed case of this nasty bug, all the way from Mexico, all the way down to the tip of South America. INCLUDING all nation islands and territories of other countries,  in the Caribbean. To every sailing destination that Carnival Cruise Lines sails to in the entire Caribbean.  I'm not about to cry chicken little and say 'the sky is falling! the sky is falling!' I'm going to live my life, and enjoy it while I can, while remaining vigilant and alert to the dangers of this nasty bug.  My wife and I are truly looking forward to our 7 day cruise on the Carnival Freedom in September. You should too. 

The point guard of this disease is the World Health Organization. Take a look at the map and see where this ugly virus has spread to:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Was somebody insinuating any different?

No. But the point is that this is a fluid situation. The extreme measures that China and these countries are taking: closing their borders and ports, banning all flights to/from and quarantining citizens, when the reported number of deaths worldwide is less than 1,000 while 10,000 people in the US have died of flu in the 2019-2020 season leads me to believe that these governments know more than we know.

Add to that the images, stories and videos out of China and the fact that the Diamond Princess has 130+ cases and I do not want to take the risk that I am on a train, plane or bus let alone a cruiseship isolated in the middle of the ocean with someone who is infected.

This virus seems to have a long incubation and people seem to be able to be infected and asymptomatic, so that's a huge risk.

The Caribbean Princess that left 2/2/20 had a noro outbreak, was denied port calls in St. Kitts and Barbados and is returning to port in Florida 5 days early.  Is that really because of noro, or are these tiny Caribbean nations looking for any excuse to deny port stops to MegaLiners?  I don't want to be on a 12 day Caribbean cruise to nowhere whether there's noro/corona or no virus on-board. 

If people come and go for the next 30 days on cruises in the Caribbean without a problem, then maybe I'll get to enjoy my cruise with it's 6 ports on the 15th, too!   If people report their experiences, then in aggregate I'll have accurate, first hand, real time, real world information before I make a decision to board. That is hard to come by these days.

Edited by SunNFunCruzer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

No. But the point is that this is a fluid situation. The extreme measures that China and these countries are taking: closing their borders and ports, banning all flights to/from and quarantining citizens, when the reported number of deaths worldwide is less than 1,000 while 10,000 people in the US have died of flu in the 2019-2020 season leads me to believe that these governments know more than we know.

Add to that the images, stories and videos out of China and the fact that the Diamond Princess has 130+ cases and I do not want to take the risk that I am on a train, plane or bus let alone a cruiseship isolated in the middle of the ocean with someone who is infected.

This virus seems to have a long incubation and people seem to be able to be infected and asymptomatic, so that's a huge risk.

The Caribbean Princess that left 2/2/20 had a noro outbreak, was denied port calls in St. Kitts and Barbados and is returning to port in Florida 5 days early.  Is that really because of noro, or are these tiny Caribbean looking for any excuse to deny port stops to MegaLiners?  I don't want to be on a 12 day Caribbean trip to nowhere whether there's noro/corona or no virus onboard. 

If people come and go for the next 30 days on cruises in the Caribbean without a problem, then maybe I'll get to enjoy my cruise with it's 6 ports on the 15th, too!   If people report their experiences, then in aggregate I'll have accurate, first hand, real time, real world information before I make a decision to board. That is hard to come by these days.

State your source, and a link please to your claim. I would like to verify this.

1 minute ago, Joe817 said:

State your source, and a link please to your claim. I would like to verify this.

Sure, there's an ENTIRE THREAD devoted to it (link is below -- original found on the Princess Board).  We are all on the same team here ---->  Cruisers trying to gather and exchange information and keep ourselves and others safe.

• Like 1

There is a fellow on the Diamond Princess by the name of David Abel. He broadcasts multiple videos each day on YT and FB. He also hosts a group of just the passengers. He is well in tune to the situation and shares info. Watched him earlier today and he says they are still scheduled to debark on the 19th. Japan calls the shots on that and this is the info on their govt website as well.

4 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

Sure, there's an ENTIRE THREAD devoted to it (link is below -- original found on the Princess Board).  We are all on the same team here ---->  Cruisers trying to gather and exchange information and keep ourselves and others safe.

Thank you. I sincerely appreciate it. And I TOTALLY agree with you. We ARE on the same team, and as such we should try to look out for each others interests and keep everyone informed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thorncroft said:

Still not enough.  Everytime another case is confirmed on Diamond Princess the 14 day clock starts over again. Those people may never get off until every last one of them gets sick.  In about a month people will be faking symtoms or actively trying to get sick just to try to escape from the ship. 

Please show you source of this information. It does not make any sense.

4 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Please show you source of this information. It does not make any sense.

I am not the original poster, but it does make sense to an extent.

It assumes that the quarantine is failing to keep the virus from spreading.

If the incubation period, where someone can display No Symptoms, is 14 days, then someone who is infected and gets a cough on day 13, can cough on someone while they are outside or cough on their spouse who will inhale the virus droplet.  Then, even of the "cougher" is removed from the ship, the "inhaler" now could also take 13-14 days to show symptoms and on the inhaler's 13th day they could cough in the air and thus you'd have a new "inhaler" and a new 14 day incubation.

There are not enough testing kits and not enough time or resources to test all 3000+ passengers and crew, so waiting out the "known incubation period" is the only way to stop the spread or, if the spread is not stopped, to contain the spread to the ship.

If the new 24 day incubation period for outliers is correct, then 25 days after the last person diagnosed leaves the ship without a new case arising, everyone left on the ship should be clear to travel and virus free.

Edited by SunNFunCruzer
  • Like 1

Suncitycruiser1925, I believe you. In a quick google check, I came up with this article from USA Today, that substantiates your claim:

"As Princess Cruises grapples with concerns of coronavirus onboard a ship in Japan, another one of its ships, the Caribbean Princess, was forced to turn around due to a norovirus outbreak. "

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/02/10/cruise-ship-norovrius-outbreak-sickens-300-amid-coronavirus-onboard-others/4715417002

Wow! That article was dated today. Folks, this appears to be a game changer to me. PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE ARTICLE. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

I am not the original poster, but it does make sense to an extent.

It assumes that the quarantine is failing to keep the virus from spreading.

If the incubation period, where someone can display No Symptoms, is 14 days, then someone who is infected and gets a cough on day 13, can cough on someone while they are outside or cough on their spouse who will inhale the virus droplet.  Then, even of the "cougher" is removed from the ship, the "inhaler" now could also take 13-14 days to show symptoms and on the inhaler's 13th day they could cough in the air and thus you'd have a new "inhaler" and a new 14 day incubation.

So it is a made up theory—not a medical opinion? Your scenario has an extremely remote chance of happening except in the case of people sharing a cabin. I am sure if one comes down with the virus the others could be removed from the ship to isolation as well.

With the number of cases on Diamond Princess suddenly doubling on whatever day this is of quarantine (5,6?), that would suggest the incubation period to generally be 5-6 days. If people are obeying quarantine rules, others will not be exposed (again except for cabin mates)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Suncitycruiser1925, I believe you. In a quick google check, I came up with this article from USA Today, that substantiates your claim:

"As Princess Cruises grapples with concerns of coronavirus onboard a ship in Japan, another one of its ships, the Caribbean Princess, was forced to turn around due to a norovirus outbreak. "

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/02/10/cruise-ship-norovrius-outbreak-sickens-300-amid-coronavirus-onboard-others/4715417002

Wow! That article was dated today. Folks, this appears to be a game changer to me. PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE ARTICLE. 

What’s a game changer. The norovirus outbreak? Thats happened before.

Until there’s a reason to worry about Caribbean cruises, I’m not going to worry about it. If something happens between now and my mid April cruise, then I’ll deal with it.