Input on Freedom on the Sea out of San Juan PR

Ptroxx

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

That can be different for each cruise. We were on the Freedom March 2019 and had a departure time for 9:00 AM. They called our number at 8:40 AM. The lines were moving at a nice pace and organized. 

Late flight or not those in charge like to have the ship cleared no later than 10:00 AM. The staff wants you off the ship as they have a long day of preparing the ship for the new guests. Also all the consecutive cruisers (B2B cruisers) can't complete their TAD procedure until the ship is cleared of all non consecutive cruisers. When that's done the ship can start boarding the new guests like yourself who are excited about getting on the ship as soon as possible.  

Daughter & I are consecutive for our upcoming March cruises but have a Tour of the Rain forest in between, my only questions, is when we would get our new cards. I will most likely learn this during our meeting. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Desert Cruizers said:

Daughter & I are consecutive for our upcoming March cruises but have a Tour of the Rain forest in between, my only questions, is when we would get our new cards. I will most likely learn this during our meeting. 

A day or two prior to your TAD you will get an invite (time and place) to a consecutive cruisers meeting. We had ours in the Viking Crown lounge. Those in charge will explain in detail what you can expect on TAD including those doing shore excursions on TAD.  I highly recommend you and your daughter attend the TAD meeting. You will also receive TAD instructions in your cabin.

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, davekathy said:

A day or two prior to your TAD you will get an invite (time and place) to a consecutive cruisers meeting. We had ours in the Viking Crown lounge. Those in charge will explain in detail what you can expect on TAD including those doing shore excursions on TAD.  I highly recommend you and your daughter attend the TAD meeting. You will also receive TAD instructions in your cabin.

We have done one TAD during our 2014 Transpacific and Hawaii so fully aware of the meetings and will be sure to attend. At the end of our Transpacific, those who wanted to leave early could pick up their new cards at GS, until 9  & depart the ship, those after 9 picked up in the MDR. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 8:46 PM, bonsai3s said:

* Uber is now available FROM the Luis Munoz International Airport.  We found Uber to be better, safer, faster, cheaper, more convenient than local taxis.

Great to hear that UBER can now pick up from the airport.  We prefer UBER to cabs and have always had a better experience with UBER in San Juan when using them.

On 2/10/2020 at 11:18 PM, Ptroxx said:

Don’t drink so no interest in Bacardi tour.        

We did this tour.  It was a waste of money in our opinion.  Only good thing was that it let us kill time before our late flight and we did not have to worry about our luggage.

On 2/11/2020 at 7:47 AM, b_cruise said:

Do the cruises out if PR always have so many locals? Does PR get better pricing or last minute perhaps  I’m on this sailing March 15. Getting excited 

hows the pool area on sea days? Can u get a chair? Does the ship feel packed? I believe our sailing if full- spring break for a lot 

Sea days are BUSY with the chair hogs, as usual.  Best thing about the departures from San Juan is that there are very few sea days that you have to worry about.  If you decide to stay onboard on a port day, the pool area is deserted, even better than a sea day.  The ship does not feel packed. It is large.  There will be times where certain parts are very crowded though - when everyone exits the theatre and waits for the elevators, the promenade during meal times when the photographers set up in the promenade and block off sections of it for photos.

Yes, cruises out of PR have a fair number of locals, just like cruises out of Florida have a fair number of Floridians.  If you can drive to the port in an hour, why fly somewhere else to cruise?  They do get better deals last minute since they are locals.  This will NOT impact your cruise in any manner however.  The week you sail is not a typical holiday time in PR.  It is prime March Break time for many school boards and colleges across North America, so there will be a ton of people flying into PR for their March Break week, like we did last March from Canada.

22 hours ago, Patty2005 said:

St. Thomas - Pirate museum and then  Magen's Bay beach

St Kitts - Ziplining 

Antigua - Catameran Sail, snorkel and beach excrusion

St Lucia - booked cosol tours based on recommendations from this site (hope we like it)

Barbados - The Boatyard

Carlisle Bay in Barbados (where the Boatyard is located) is awesome.  We always spend the day there when we cruise to Barbados.  You will love it.  I was going to mention Cosol Tours in St. Lucia.  We have done it twice.  Fantastic value and the best way to see the entire island.  Lots of winding roads in the van.  Be sure to sit near the front if you feel you may get car sick.  Send them an email and request YELLOWBIRD as your driver.  You will not regret it.  Magen's Bay is beautiful.  It can get busy.  The further you walk down the beach to find your spot, the less busy it is.  We went to the far left and had nearly nobody around us, even though it was wall to wall people where the safari taxis drop you off.

• Like 1

While we are looking forward to our very first visit to San Juan,  our flight options from Calif & Col ( Daughter ) were very limited, especially going home. We both ended up with a Monday departure on the 23rd  for me, 1 AM and the daughter after 2 AM. There were no mid day flights. We both will do the Day Pass at the Marriott Stellaris. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Desert Cruizers said:

We have done one TAD during our 2014 Transpacific and Hawaii so fully aware of the meetings and will be sure to attend. At the end of our Transpacific, those who wanted to leave early could pick up their new cards at GS, until 9  & depart the ship, those after 9 picked up in the MDR. 

I've heard that about other B2B cruises. I didn't want to post that as we all know TAD can be different from cruise to cruise. Don't forget to get your intransit pass. In our opinion the staff we came in contact with on our March 2019 Freedom B2B cruise were fantastic. There's no longer a CL (deck 10) on the Freedom. Turned that area into 4 new inside cabins. Cloud nine and seven hearts card room (deck 14) is now the new SL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I've heard that about other B2B cruises. I didn't want to post that as we all know TAD can be different from cruise to cruise. Don't forget to get your intransit pass. In our opinion the staff we came in contact with on our March 2019 Freedom B2B cruise were fantastic. There's no longer a CL (deck 10) on the Freedom. Turned that area into 4 new inside cabins. Cloud nine and seven hearts card room (deck 14) is now the new SL.

I have only been on the Liberty in 2011 & 2017. This will be my daughters first time on a Freedom Class and am sure she will love it. She has been on  the Radiance & Serenade so far

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Desert Cruizers said:

I have only been on the Liberty in 2011 & 2017. This will be my daughters first time on a Freedom Class and am sure she will love it. She has been on  the Radiance & Serenade so far

We did a B2B cruise on the Liberty 19 March and 27 March 2011. The Radiance class of ships are our favorite class ships. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, davekathy said:

There's no longer a CL (deck 10) on the Freedom. Turned that area into 4 new inside cabins. Cloud nine and seven hearts card room (deck 14) is now the new SL.

Well, I guess that confirms that the piano that I used to love to play up there is officially gone.😏

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

Great to hear that UBER can now pick up from the airport.  We prefer UBER to cabs and have always had a better experience with UBER in San Juan when using them.

We did this tour.  It was a waste of money in our opinion.  Only good thing was that it let us kill time before our late flight and we did not have to worry about our luggage.

Sea days are BUSY with the chair hogs, as usual.  Best thing about the departures from San Juan is that there are very few sea days that you have to worry about.  If you decide to stay onboard on a port day, the pool area is deserted, even better than a sea day.  The ship does not feel packed. It is large.  There will be times where certain parts are very crowded though - when everyone exits the theatre and waits for the elevators, the promenade during meal times when the photographers set up in the promenade and block off sections of it for photos.

Yes, cruises out of PR have a fair number of locals, just like cruises out of Florida have a fair number of Floridians.  If you can drive to the port in an hour, why fly somewhere else to cruise?  They do get better deals last minute since they are locals.  This will NOT impact your cruise in any manner however.  The week you sail is not a typical holiday time in PR.  It is prime March Break time for many school boards and colleges across North America, so there will be a ton of people flying into PR for their March Break week, like we did last March from Canada.

Carlisle Bay in Barbados (where the Boatyard is located) is awesome.  We always spend the day there when we cruise to Barbados.  You will love it.  I was going to mention Cosol Tours in St. Lucia.  We have done it twice.  Fantastic value and the best way to see the entire island.  Lots of winding roads in the van.  Be sure to sit near the front if you feel you may get car sick.  Send them an email and request YELLOWBIRD as your driver.  You will not regret it.  Magen's Bay is beautiful.  It can get busy.  The further you walk down the beach to find your spot, the less busy it is.  We went to the far left and had nearly nobody around us, even though it was wall to wall people where the safari taxis drop you off.

Thank you so much!!  I am from B.C. Canada.  My kids are all telling us to cancel because of the virus but until something shows up in PR ( knock on wood) WE are all aboard!! Lol. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well, I guess that confirms that the piano that I used to love to play up there is officially gone.😏

No more, ...sing us a song, you're the piano man, sing us a song tonight, well we're all in the mood for a melody
and you've got us feelin' alright...🎹😎

• Thanks 1

Wow.  More great information.    Thank you everyone for adding to this thread.  

silly question??   What is TAD.   ??   

For myself.  I think the Dreams Miramar is perfect. Close enough to everything. And the price is right.  I can book now for 120.00 a night. Seems like a great price.    
Don’t need anything fancy as just spending a night or 2.   
some in our group will do the $$$$ hotels.  But not me Lolol 

Big thing are flights I use the app Hopper a lot and usually get some great prices.  
We’ll have to see as time gets closer.  

Great excursion suggestions.   Keep them coming.   I’m trying to put a small presentation together for our group so they have options.   
I like to book those on our own away from the cruise line. Same excursion better prices.  
And  I check ratings  on all of them with google (TripAdvisor) 

Thanks again for all the help.   

Edited by Ptroxx

14 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Wow.  More great information.    Thank you everyone for adding to this thread.  

silly question??   What is TAD.   ??   

For myself.  I think the Dreams Miramar is perfect. Close enough to everything. And the price is right.  I can book now for 120.00 a night. Seems like a great price.    
Don’t need anything fancy as just spending a night or 2.   
some in our group will do the $$$$ hotels.  But not me Lolol 

Big thing are flights I use the app Hopper a lot and usually get some great prices.  
We’ll have to see as time gets closer.  

Great excursion suggestions.   Keep them coming.   I’m trying to put a small presentation together for our group so they have options.   
I like to book those on our own away from the cruise line. Same excursion better prices.  
And  I check ratings  on all of them with google (TripAdvisor) 

Thanks again for all the help.   

TAD Turn Around Day, for those doing a B2B or consecutive cruise. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, b_cruise said:

Thank you so much!!  I am from B.C. Canada.  My kids are all telling us to cancel because of the virus but until something shows up in PR ( knock on wood) WE are all aboard!! Lol. 

Do NOT cancel.  If RCCL cancels, you will get compensated well for your inconvenience.  Do not worry about the coronavirus.  You are just as likely to catch it at home as you are on the ship, especially if you live in Vancouver (I don't think the virus would dare make its way inland to places like Nelson and Rossland - where I used to live🤣).

4 hours ago, Desert Cruizers said:

Liberty is almost the same (we liked the shows on Liberty a bit more than on the Freedom) but the Freedom is getting AMPed right now, so they will add some cool new things you and your daughters have not experienced before.  She will love the Freedom so much more than the Radiance and Serenade.

6 hours ago, Desert Cruizers said:

While we are looking forward to our very first visit to San Juan,  our flight options from Calif & Col ( Daughter ) were very limited, especially going home. We both ended up with a Monday departure on the 23rd  for me, 1 AM and the daughter after 2 AM. There were no mid day flights. We both will do the Day Pass at the Marriott Stellaris. 

Some people hate San Juan.  I cannot figure out for the life of me why.  We absolutely love the city.  Great forts, wonderful to walk around the city, boardwalk around the forts with great views and more iguanas and cats than you thought possible, pigeon park, great little street for happy hour drinks, beautiful churches, friendly people, go walk through the cemetery by the fort as well, watch children fly kites on the flats by the fort.  I would always add a few days in San Juan if possible to a cruise from there if it worked into my work schedule.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

Some people hate San Juan.  I cannot figure out for the life of me why.  We absolutely love the city.  Great forts, wonderful to walk around the city, boardwalk around the forts with great views and more iguanas and cats than you thought possible, pigeon park, great little street for happy hour drinks, beautiful churches, friendly people, go walk through the cemetery by the fort as well, watch children fly kites on the flats by the fort.  I would always add a few days in San Juan if possible to a cruise from there if it worked into my work schedule.

I really enjoyed it the short time I was there last month.    Looking forward to getting to see it again for this trip. Even if for just a short time.   
I wasn’t sure what to except when there. But it was awesome.  
all the great colors.   The people were very friendly.  Felt safe.   There’s cameras all over the area.   
I'm not a shopper.   Just enjoy exploring around.  

39 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

I don't get it either. I love San Juan.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't get it either. I love San Juan.

We will be there 2 days pre cruise, then spend part of the day at the Rain Forest before we re board and can't wait. We do have a Day Pass at the Marriott on the 22nd, do you recommend we travel into the Condada District. I should clarify we will be in that area what do you recommend we see if we don't want to spend the whole day at the hotel.

34 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Put me in the love to visit, not a fan of departure port, camp. 

To each their own, I guess

It is good as a departure port to get to the southern Caribbean but the flights are so inconvenient and expensive. Port Everglades is my departure port of choice. 

28 minutes ago, Desert Cruizers said:

We will be there 2 days pre cruise, then spend part of the day at the Rain Forest before we re board and can't wait. We do have a Day Pass at the Marriott on the 22nd, do you recommend we travel into the Condada District. I should clarify we will be in that area what do you recommend we see if we don't want to spend the whole day at the hotel.

I can't help you much. I love staying in Old San Juan.

38 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I can't help you much. I love staying in Old San Juan.

We will be in Old San Juan before our cruises but afterwards will have the Day Pass at the Marriott Stellaris since I don't leave until 1 AM and the daughter at 2:45  AM on the 23rd. There are no flights back to Calif & Col mid day of the 22nd. 

We're on the 4/12 sailing and getting back 4/19. We have a 2:30 flight home so can anyone give advice on how/where to store bags if we don't go to the airport straight from ship? I'd like to spend a little time in OSJ rather than sit at the airport for half the day.