Book now for May 2020 or wait a little longer? (Alaska)

Prolificc

Hey All, first time cruiser, we decided on a specific cruise, the Grand princess southbound May 16. The current promo isn't interesting to us since we wouldn't drink the value or even use the wifi, that being said we'd probably just book the cheapest $619 interior if we had to today. I got a little obsessive and counted up all the cabins available up to Balcony and it looks like there are about 100 left at this point, with most (~80) in the obstructed or interior category. Not sure if this is a good sign or not for being 3 months out. I also heard some cruise lines may see cabin counts increase at the 90 and 60 day mark as TA's give up their shares, does this tend to happen on Princess? Basically just looking for some veteran advice to get the best deal we can! Thanks!

Hi Prolificc (love that handle by the way).

My thoughts.  I think it's unlikely that this early season Alaska will sell out up to the last day.  Particularly as you are looking at inside cabins with lots of apparent inventory.  So I think there's little risk you'll get shut out by waiting.

On the other hand the price you quote is really quite competitive, I'd be surprised if it goes down by more than a few $ at some point it's nice to have things locked in and know you're absolutely going.  I'm seeing prices of $619 interior and $688 for obstructed.  Personally I would absolutely take the obstructed - even if you have little or no view you will get a bit of daylight which really makes the trip more pleasant.  As you say there are many decent cabins at the back / front of tenders which should have at least some view.  I'd personally take E712 which actually looks to have a decent view.

Basically, I'd say what you're seeing right now seems very competitive, I doubt you'll save much by waiting, but neither are you likely to pay more.  Enjoy Grand she's a great ship, we board for her next sailing and are very much looking forward to it.

26 minutes ago, Prolificc said:

Hey All, first time cruiser, we decided on a specific cruise, the Grand princess southbound May 16. The current promo isn't interesting to us since we wouldn't drink the value or even use the wifi, that being said we'd probably just book the cheapest $619 interior if we had to today. I got a little obsessive and counted up all the cabins available up to Balcony and it looks like there are about 100 left at this point, with most (~80) in the obstructed or interior category. Not sure if this is a good sign or not for being 3 months out. I also heard some cruise lines may see cabin counts increase at the 90 and 60 day mark as TA's give up their shares, does this tend to happen on Princess? Basically just looking for some veteran advice to get the best deal we can! Thanks!

Don't wait! I have made that mistake a time or 2 and I won't do it again.

You may find one of these times you log in the cruise is sold out.

It can happen in a matter of hours.

Alaska especially is very popular however all Princess cruises tend to sell out.

You cannot count the guarantees that have been sold and they could outnumber those 100 cabins. 

31 minutes ago, jondfk said:

Hi Prolificc (love that handle by the way).

My thoughts.  I think it's unlikely that this early season Alaska will sell out up to the last day.  Particularly as you are looking at inside cabins with lots of apparent inventory.  So I think there's little risk you'll get shut out by waiting.

On the other hand the price you quote is really quite competitive, I'd be surprised if it goes down by more than a few $ at some point it's nice to have things locked in and know you're absolutely going.  I'm seeing prices of $619 interior and $688 for obstructed.  Personally I would absolutely take the obstructed - even if you have little or no view you will get a bit of daylight which really makes the trip more pleasant.  As you say there are many decent cabins at the back / front of tenders which should have at least some view.  I'd personally take E712 which actually looks to have a decent view.

Basically, I'd say what you're seeing right now seems very competitive, I doubt you'll save much by waiting, but neither are you likely to pay more.  Enjoy Grand she's a great ship, we board for her next sailing and are very much looking forward to it.

Thanks for the tip on E712, do you know what is above the cabin? Afraid of noise and can't tell from the deckplan what that space would be.  www.cruisedeckplans.com-deckplan.php-shi

54 minutes ago, Prolificc said:

how much soda, water, mocktails, coffee, specialty coffee's and tea's do you drink during a day - they are all included in the BSE as are the 14.50 pp pd grats 

something to think about ?

11 minutes ago, Prolificc said:

Thanks for the tip on E712, do you know what is above the cabin? Afraid of noise and can't tell from the deckplan what that space would be.  www.cruisedeckplans.com-deckplan.php-shi

Above will be only cabins.  Below will be near the entrance to the Vista lounge, but shouldn’t be too noisy in my opinion.

i agree with others who suggest that the current included specials and gratuities are pretty easy to break even on.  Consider this carefully.

You can very likely find lower prices if you wait until after final payment to book, but that may  not work if you have a very specific date in mind.  I've been going on Alaska cruises in May/early June the last several years.  I live nearby, and I always wait until 1-2 months before sailing.  For that early in the season, I have always been able to find interior prices in $249-349 range, though again you may need some flexibility with dates.

• Like 1

I waited one year. I had booked one cruise and air and planned on booking the 2nd cruise for a B2B. Long story short - the ship was pretty open and then a large group from Asia booked hundreds of people (probably 1/4 of ship). I did get on but it would have been cheaper if I had booked earlier.

I used to be daring in my younger years - I would book air with the assumption I could always pick up a last minute B2B in Alaska. Now that I am older, I would rather know exactly what ship I am going on and what day I am getting on the ship.

Edited by Coral

Still reading...I may have misunderstood how gratuities work...If I don't get in on this sale, I am auto-charged $14.50/person per day for gratuities? I would then also be charged 18% on any alcohol? I was under the impression it'd be like staying at a hotel, where we would tip those we come across.

5 minutes ago, Prolificc said:

Still reading...I may have misunderstood how gratuities work...If I don't get in on this sale, I am auto-charged $14.50/person per day for gratuities? I would then also be charged 18% on any alcohol? I was under the impression it'd be like staying at a hotel, where we would tip those we come across.

Yes. You can adjust the tip but honestly - the service you receive is really good, I personally would never adjust it. The ship is cashless so you won't leave a tip at dinner each night, etc... The tip also covers people that you may not see (those who clear your table in the buffet or serves you drinks in the buffet) or may not see again (the tips are pooled). You may have a different wait staff team every day in the dining room.

Edited by Coral

2 minutes ago, Prolificc said:

Thanks, I guess I didn't think about the meal service tipping, etc. The sale is now more break-even with our drinking expectations,

The room stewards clean your room 2x a day. This pays for tipping through out the ship at all dining venues.

3 hours ago, Prolificc said:

The Best Sale Ever has two prices, one with the amenities and one without. Is the $619 price you refer to with or without the amenities?

There is about a $40/day difference between the two prices.

3 hours ago, Prolificc said:

Hey All, first time cruiser, we decided on a specific cruise, the Grand princess southbound May 16.

3 hours ago, memoak said:

If you care about where your cabin is located then book now   If you don’t care I would book a guarantee cabin. If the prices go down you can always re fare

A May 16 cruise means final payment is due by February 15.  Not much opportunity to re-fare by then.

11 hours ago, caribill said:

A May 16 cruise means final payment is due by February 15.  Not much opportunity to re-fare by then.

we've re-fared numerous times after final payment, and the difference was credited back to our card

• Like 1

WE booked our this years May Alaskan cruise a year out.  We have had called in to re-fare several times in the past year.  Just made our final payment this week, but will say the price only continued to increase in these last few months.  We got a good price on our  2 side-by-side Premium Balconies at the very aft, with extras that we will definitely utilize.  So in our situation booking way ahead worked out for us, because the ship is near selling out and definitely the cabins we wanted aren't available.  I think it does depend on how badly you want a particular cabin and location on the ship.  Glad you made out well on your choice and decision.  Can't wait for May to get here!

• Like 1

Here is a link you may find useful, it shows the Emerald Deck obstructed view staterooms with pictures.  I have booked these cabins and the actual deck diagrams are pretty accurate.  The good views are from the staterooms between the life/tender boats.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/ov.php?ship=Grand-Princess&cabins=E209-E231

22 hours ago, Prolificc said:

...we decided on a specific cruise, the Grand princess southbound May 16. 

How important is it that you are on this cruise? How do you plan to go to Anchorage/Whittier and return home from Vancouver?

22 hours ago, Prolificc said:

I planned to use my chase reward points to book, not sure if I can refare with that payment method??

Many points programs that offer cruises in exchange for points must be booked directly with that program; it acts as your TA. They may or may not have the same pricing that you are looking at on the Princess website, and you would need to read all of the program fine print to understand their booking limitations.

19 hours ago, Prolificc said:

Thanks all for the input and helping raise light to some things I'm not familiar with. I'm booked! If you have any secrets to share with a first timer on grand princess in alaska, lmk!

As cherylandtk pointed out, if you booked with your points, you may already have a TA. If that's not how your points system works...find a TA immediately (one who offers a discount or extra amenities - OBC, specialty dinner, wine, etc.) You only have 60 days after booking OR final payment date to add on a TA.

Join your roll call, this is the address: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2700927-grand-princess-may-16-2020-southbound-whittier-to-vanouver/

Once on the ship, consider purchasing Future Cruise Deposits ($100 pp). FCD is your total deposit for the next cruise and you get OBC.

If anyone in your cabin is a veteran, active, retired military: send in DD214 (for honorably discharged), other documentation for active/retired. Only need to send it in once, it's kept on file.

If you have a great time and want to do it over & over, buy 100 shares of Carnival Corp stock. One benefit per cabin. OBC plus quarterly dividends.

We did a 10 day to Alaska at the end of May last year and knew of 2 cabins that were given the move over offer to LEAVE the cruise, because it was full. Just something to think about there. We booked ASAP as the rooms were released because we wanted a corner aft 😉 So, I do not know about the last minute actual booking gamble. 

As for not thinking you would "drink" enough, the package includes specialty coffees, bottled water and soda. 😉 We would always pick up bottled water while going up to our room or heading off the ship. 

• Like 1