Will Corona Virus Stop You Cruising?

farawayatsea

I read through the whole topic and as me, the majority would not stopp cruising at this point. That the bookings are going down- well that was to expect I suppose they will recover though until Corona blows over. In the meantime- as the British saying goes- Keep calm and carry on.

My husband and I have a Caribbean cruise in a few weeks that we have looked forward to..  Unfortunately this problem has made me anxious and question whether or not we should cancel.  We already have paid airline tickets to Florida, but could do something else in Florida for the week I guess.  Seeing the horrible situation of the Diamond Princess and Westerdam doesn't help. We have a small oceanview cabin booked so can you imagine being stuck in that for 14 days?  Any thoughts?

8 hours ago, Diamonddidi said:

My husband and I have a Caribbean cruise in a few weeks that we have looked forward to..  Unfortunately this problem has made me anxious and question whether or not we should cancel.  We already have paid airline tickets to Florida, but could do something else in Florida for the week I guess.  Seeing the horrible situation of the Diamond Princess and Westerdam doesn't help. We have a small oceanview cabin booked so can you imagine being stuck in that for 14 days?  Any thoughts?

If it were me I would not cancel a Caribbean cruise.  Very little risk and a lot of extra screening in place.  Understand why you and hubby are a bit anxious and your decision of course.  Is your Caribbean cruise 14 days??

• Like 1

17 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I also agree with the rest of his post, but agree with you on the media hysteria.  Media helps create anxiety and stress by the methods and timing they use to report the news.  They lead with sensationalized headlines that make it sound like the world is ending.  They report peoples opinions and yet position them as facts.  They publish information on the fly without taking the time to vet it thoroughly so they can be the first in reporting.  This is sadly true of all news stories with the major players - not just the coronavirus.  

This is an interesting article and poll on how people view the news media.

http://www.digitalnewsreport.org/survey/2019/what-do-people-think-about-the-news-media/

45 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

If it were me I would not cancel a Caribbean cruise.  Very little risk and a lot of extra screening in place.  Understand why you and hubby are a bit anxious and your decision of course.  Is your Caribbean cruise 14 days??

My husband and I are on Equinox the 22nd. Yep, I too have been anxious and I totally understand. We also thought of canceling. We were going to rent a car too and hang out in Florida. We made the decision to GO !! I feel that the situation with Diamond Princess has the cruise ships fully aware and  are going above and beyond  to ensure our safety. I now feel good about going.  I do hope you go and enjoy the sunshine of the Caribbean. We live in northern Montana and have a long day to get to Florida. Can't wait to be in warm weather !!!

• Like 1

We leave in 16 days are have not once thought of cancelling.   First time on the Edge!

We are bringing extra medications, extra Clorex wipes, some books and magazines.   We will wash our hands often, try not to touch anything and wipe down our cabin extra good.   (Along with our hotel room & airline seat/tray/armrests.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, micheleata said:

We leave in 16 days are have not once thought of cancelling.   First time on the Edge!

We are bringing extra medications, extra Clorex wipes, some books and magazines.   We will wash our hands often, try not to touch anything and wipe down our cabin extra good.   (Along with our hotel room & airline seat/tray/armrests.)

We are also bringing extra medications and wipes and will wipe down our cabin and of course hand washing. The Edge looks amazing !!

• Like 1

We booked a short Caribbean cruise for the end of February on a whim about a week before the Corona virus really hit the news. What is funny, is that we will be in an inside cabin for the first time ever - that was the only category available and we thought “what the heck”? Since it is only five days...

Because of that inside cabin, I’m a tad worried about quarantine but also have confidence that the passengers will be well screened and this location is (presently) low risk. 

All future cruise bookings will be on hold until we see how this current situation unfolds. 

Edited by durberville
Clarification

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

This is an interesting article and poll on how people view the news media.

http://www.digitalnewsreport.org/survey/2019/what-do-people-think-about-the-news-media/

Don't think it is Media Hysteria at all- people need to be informed and make a decision based on facts.  I would much rather know whats going on then have censorship!  

You then can decide what works best for you and your family.  We will continue to cruise- but surely not to china until the spread has stopped.  Also who can trust that the information from China is true?  Might be much worse then we imagine.

Enjoy your cruise

No. The only thing it would stop me doing is going to China.

I admit my cruise is low-risk - it is in 3 weeks and it is in NZ and Australia (and the ship is in NZ now so I imagine it will stay close ahead of my sailing). There are only 15 confirmed cases in Australia (one at my work though), the numbers are not growing, and none in NZ. If they keep maintaining border control then we have nothing to worry about.

My DH and I had a big talk about our upcoming cruise, for which final payment is due soon. We have decided to continue with it. You couldn’t pay me to go to Asia right now, though! I wouldn’t even want to be on a ship that recently sailed to Asia. We will be closely monitoring everything, though, and we will be bringing N95 masks to wear on the 10 hour flight if there is concern. 

On 2/12/2020 at 9:07 PM, MarkusToe said:

booked on an Asia cruise End of Feb - we don't know if we will cancel or not.....

next in fall,  US - Panama Canal we'll go...

Is that cruise still sailing considering all the cancellations right now?

I'm doing Alaska in May but won't be traveling in North Asia much until then.

At this point in time I am not concerned.  My next cruise is Canada towards the end of May.  Until they start quarantining ships in Canada/US it is not a concern at all.  

I would suspect that when warmer weather hits that the rates will go down.

Edited by NMTraveller

Not sea cruising until July with a river cruise inbetween. If we had none booked would not book any, though probably would not book any holidays until the extent of the issue can be seen. People saying that they are going to low risk plcaes is true for now but with a 14 day+ incubation period, it is hard to predict where low risk areas will be.

Was in a group yesterday where in conversation a couple said they had just returned from Malasia and Singapore, but added "We are OK". Trouble is feeling OK now is no predicter of what one will feel like in 14 days! Together with the fact that one is infectious during that time. Also heard of a wedding at the weekend where the family had flown in from China on Thursday just 2 days previous, what happened to self quarantine?

We have two weeks to make up our mind about the sea cruise before final payment and that is done for the river cruise, but all bets are off as to if we go on either. Watch and wait for as long as possible. Really do not want to be sick away from home if that is avoidable.