Is Celebrity moving towards Non-Refundable deposits?

Elusive_Cruiser

I'm a little confused.  I have 3 future cruises booked.  One with NRD ($200 booked onboard) and 2 refundable ($960/each) booked directly with Celebrity.  Like many, I price-watch. But now, when I book my dummy cruises to check pricing, I do not have the option for refundable vs non-refundable deposits.  They all come up as NRD.  Is anybody else experiencing this?  

I called in to Celebrity today to price check all 3 cruises.  When I looked online, they all seemed to have drop in price.  While I did save over $600 on the NRD I booked onboard a week ago (yeah me!) the two others, with refundable deposits were quite a bit more expensive than what I saw online (with NRD) AND, I did not see the option to make the cruise refundable deposit.  Am I missing something?

That is a common complaint as of late with the current promotion.   From what I've seen is if it skips by the screen with two prices then click the YOUR OFFER words at the top of the window after you select your cabin and it asks for dining time.

image.thumb.png.87f20108a1a8a1d65daae0ad88a03d98.png

And it will bring up two choices -  the one on left is Non-Refundable the One on Right Refundable

image.thumb.png.65aacd408467e99354d3415029496886.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

That is a common complaint as of late with the current promotion.   From what I've seen is if it skips by the screen with two prices then click the YOUR OFFER words at the top of the window after you select your cabin and it asks for dining time.

And it will bring up two choices -  the one on left is Non-Refundable the One on Right Refundable

image.thumb.png.65aacd408467e99354d3415029496886.png

Whoa, Wow - Seriously?  I did what you said, and you are, sadly, correct.  This should be an option at the beginning of the booking... not buried deep, and not clear, towards the end.  Yikes. 😞

I complained about this in December, and the replies I got were typical of those who have too much time on their hands...mainly, you shouldn't book a cruise if you don't plan on going.  Although true in a sense, my life is usually much busier than siting around waiting for the next cruise, and sometimes I need to postpone a vacation.

I think that this is another way for celebrity to separate you from your money. And, it kind of feels the same way that it feels when the airlines raise their baggage charge.  It's actually a real chicken move on Celebrity's part.  If only these companies could pack their greed away for a while, and try to please the customer.  After this next cruise we are going on, I refuse to book a cruise that requires a NRD.  I need a company that is better at "pretending" that they want me as a customer, and celebrity isn't that company.

• Haha 1

Welcome to the rest of the world! 
In most countries in Europe we never had refundable deposits - plus, the deposits were much higher (usually 20%).

As to the statement: “If only these companies could pack their greed away for a while, and try to please the customer“.

It‘s actually a bit paradox - companies are no charities!

If YOU have such a busy life, why would they have to adapt to it? Plus, all these placeholder bookings artificially create demand and bring up the price. So somebody else ends up paying for it. And don’t even start saying that if the price dropped one could ask for a price adjustment - that’s another thing which doesn’t exist in most other countries. So some end up paying more because you want the most flexibility - for free, of course.

So bottom line Is you want to do cherry picking because of your busy life and because you are not willing to pay anything due to changes possibly occurring due to YOUR life... and you call others greedy?!

Interesting thought process...

Before you put me into the drawer of people having too much time on their hands…

As the CEO of a company I think I can say I’m not bored. However, I don’t expect anybody else to accommodate or pay for problems due to my schedule.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sometimes this option does not work.  I tried in Chrome and Safari.  

1 hour ago, bcruiser1 said:

I complained about this in December, and the replies I got were typical of those who have too much time on their hands...mainly, you shouldn't book a cruise if you don't plan on going.  Although true in a sense, my life is usually much busier than siting around waiting for the next cruise, and sometimes I need to postpone a vacation.

It may be a silly question but what is the purpose of booking a refundable deposit? In most cases that I have seen the NRD is a lot less expensive than the refundable deposit.  In post 3 there is a $400 difference between the two options.  I've seen as much as $1500 difference.  

If you are not sure if you are going then why not just wait to book until you know you can go  and you can pay less.  Why pay more than what you would lose if you had a NRD and cancel?  If you cancel a NRD you lose $100 pp in change fees, which is less than $400.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bcruiser1 said:

I think that this is another way for celebrity to separate you from your money. And, it kind of feels the same way that it feels when the airlines raise their baggage charge.  It's actually a real chicken move on Celebrity's part.  If only these companies could pack their greed away for a while, and try to please the customer.  After this next cruise we are going on, I refuse to book a cruise that requires a NRD.  I need a company that is better at "pretending" that they want me as a customer, and celebrity isn't that company.

I’m looking at hotels for our cruise next year at the moment and every single one has one rate if you pay now, and a higher one with free cancellation. One or two have no cancellation policies across the board. Same with our flights, pay more for free cancellation. The free cancellation for customers in the US has run it’s course, it effects cruisers in other parts of the world due to the number of cabins booked then cancelled just before final payment giving less choice and higher prices often followed by price drops as multiply new cabins suddenly become available as big US travel agents release them. I get why this is causing more and more problems for Celebrity as customers are playing the system and often booking more than one cabin on more than one cruise knowing they are going to cancel one or more just before that final payment is due. We all have busy lives, it’s not confined to people in the US and it needed standardising throughout  the world. Celebrity does need to clean up the booking process making it less confusing but other than that it’s a positive move for me and I think it fairer for the rest of us who will now have more choices of cabin and hopefully rates will stabilise over time rather than the crazy fluctuations.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bcruiser1 said:

If only these companies could pack their greed away for a while, and try to please the customer. 

I think there is an attempt to get bookings ‘universal.’

For too long those of us booking in the UK have suffered with higher prices caused by the multiple booking of rooms by US passengers. We have always lost our deposit if we cancel ,due to our T&C. so only book a cruise that we intend to take.

The free cancellation for customers in the US has run it’s course, it effects cruisers in other parts of the world due to the number of cabins booked then cancelled just before final payment giving less choice and higher prices often followed by price drops as multiply new cabins suddenly become available as big US travel agents release them. I get why this is causing more and more problems for Celebrity as customers are playing the system and often booking more than one cabin on more than one cruise knowing they are going to cancel one or more just before that final payment is due. 

Edited by upwarduk

Mmmm, I’m not so sure I agree with some of the above.

Celebrity's T and Cs are largely driven by consumer protection laws, particularly in the UK. I just can’t see anyway that Celebrity could offer ‘universal’ conditions for different countries with different laws.

Celebrity (and any other company) will charge as much as they believe the market will be willing to pay for. A simple price and demand equation. Demand goes up, then price goes up, or the opposite, as they case may be.

If anyone believes they are paying too much by buying in the UK, then go and give their business to Celebrity in US or use a US travel agent. But be aware that they will then be governed by Celebrity's US T and C’s.

Back to the original post........ I’m of the opinion the Celebrity see the $100 change fee associated with NRD as another revenue stream. I really don’t believe that they are trying to hide the RD option, much more likely their inept IT department have once again failed to implement some simple changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zanderblue said:

Demand goes up, then price goes up...

Exactly! And you think all these placeholder bookings don´t drive the price up?

That´s exactly the problem with them. Someone, and there are many outside the US, pays higher prices just because others want to secure their perks with onboard bookings etc. on cruises they are not even intending to take. I am not even talking about blocking staterooms in good locations here. 

And the same ones paying more are the ones who don´t have a price guarantee which would enable them to adjust the prices later, when the bookings are canceled or moved.

It´s funny how people don´t care about the consequences of their actions as long as they are for free and good for them...

Maybe they´ll start thinking about it when it´s no longer for free. 😉 
Usually the best method...

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1

I agree wholeheartedly with Miaminice. The practice of making several bookings when only one cruise will actually be taken  affects the prices and availability for 'the rest of the world' Celebrity cruisers and is something that Celebrity hopefully are trying to discourage.

Or why not make a refundable deposit one of 'the perks' that can be chosen for a price when booking - and make it universal for all, like the beverage package or free gratuities? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zanderblue said:

Mmmm, I’m not so sure I agree with some of the above.

Celebrity's T and Cs are largely driven by consumer protection laws, particularly in the UK. I just can’t see anyway that Celebrity could offer ‘universal’ conditions for different countries with different laws.

I have said this many times before, but I have yet to read one example of where a UK customer received better treatment than someone from North America at the hands of Celebrity because of UK consumer laws. Can you imagine the outcry? IMHO, the 'better consumer protection laws' are a real red herring, and yes, it's often UK posters who bring it up, but as far as results go ..... well, proof of pudding and all that!

Basically, I believe that those from North America have had it good, at the expense of others as outlined by previous posters, but of course they don't see it that way.  They see it as an example of something being taken away from them. We Europeans are used to the concept of only making bookings we know we are going to honour, and if something unavoidable comes up (as in a real emergency, not as in 'my cat was ill' - and I say that as a cat lover - then travel insurance will cover, something that we always have and especially when travelling outside of Europe).

I should love to be able to 're-fare', move up to a better cabin after final payment etc, but it is not the reality for most of us non-north Americans - although it can sometimes happen, it is not our 'right' to do this. 

I would just like a level playing field for all, whatever that may be.

Edited by mrsgoggins
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I have said this many times before, but I have yet to read one example of where a UK customer received better treatment than someone from North America at the hands of Celebrity because of UK consumer laws. Can you imagine the outcry? IMHO, the 'better consumer protection laws' are a real red herring, and yes, it's often UK posters who bring it up, but as far as results go ..... well, proof of pudding and all that!

Basically, I believe that those from North America have had it good, at the expense of others as outlined by previous posters, but of course they don't see it that way.  They see it as an example of something being taken away from them. We Europeans are used to the concept of only making bookings we know we are going to honour, and if something unavoidable comes up (as in a real emergency, not as in 'my cat was ill' - and I say that as a cat lover - then travel insurance will cover, something that we always have and especially when travelling outside of Europe).

I should love to be able to 're-fare', move up to a better cabin after final payment etc, but it is not the reality for most of us non-north Americans - although it can sometimes happen, it is not our 'right' to do this. 

If you haven’t seen better protection by the terms and conditions required by the U.K. and other governments, perhaps the better solution is for you to get your government to eliminate all of the terms and conditions that aren’t really helping you.  Isn’t this just another example of how more government regulation doesn’t help?  Isn’t this one of the reasons so many people wanted Brexit?   

I think the US has a far better system and I don’t see any advantages of dragging us into a European system that may require larger deposits with more restrictions.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

If you haven’t seen better protection by the terms and conditions required by the U.K. and other governments, perhaps the better solution is for you to get your government to eliminate all of the terms and conditions that aren’t really helping you.  Isn’t this just another example of how more government regulation doesn’t help?  Isn’t this one of the reasons so many people wanted Brexit?   

I think the US has a far better system and I don’t see any advantages of dragging us into a European system that may require larger deposits with more restrictions.

Sorry, but this is nonsense!

No local consumer protection laws would prohibit any company or cruise line to give more flexibility to its customers... 

This is not based on government or laws, it’s simply down to corporate decisions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

My experience, exactly.

Thank you for posting the screen shots.

bon voyage

Booking when cruise itins open each season means that  in exchange for  good prices and cabin selection, there is a  very long period between booking and final payment.  So many factors can intervene...illness,  changed work schedules, weddings etc.  

We favor the Refundable plan even at a higher cost...Terms of the NR seem difficult if you need to cancel and pick another cruise in a set time frame.  Hope they continue offering Ref option.

For our most recent booking, the  X rep laid out a grid of Ref and non ref prices and perks in 3  sep cabin cateogories..it was  easy to follow and  make our selection.

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

Sometimes this option does not work.  I tried in Chrome and Safari.  

It may be a silly question but what is the purpose of booking a refundable deposit? In most cases that I have seen the NRD is a lot less expensive than the refundable deposit.  In post 3 there is a $400 difference between the two options.  I've seen as much as $1500 difference.  

If you are not sure if you are going then why not just wait to book until you know you can go  and you can pay less.  Why pay more than what you would lose if you had a NRD and cancel?  If you cancel a NRD you lose $100 pp in change fees, which is less than $400.  

For me, it is cabin selection by booking up to two (2) years out.

bon voyage

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bcruiser1 said:

Yes, conspiracies to separate us from our hard earned money abounds us every day... many without pretense, too.

Many of us go along with them, too and spend, spend, spend, spend regardless.

bon voyage

5 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Welcome to the rest of the world! 
In most countries in Europe we never had refundable deposits - plus, the deposits were much higher (usually 20%).

As to the statement: “If only these companies could pack their greed away for a while, and try to please the customer“.

It‘s actually a bit paradox - companies are no charities!

If YOU have such a busy life, why would they have to adapt to it? Plus, all these placeholder bookings artificially create demand and bring up the price. So somebody else ends up paying for it. And don’t even start saying that if the price dropped one could ask for a price adjustment - that’s another thing which doesn’t exist in most other countries. So some end up paying more because you want the most flexibility - for free, of course.

So bottom line Is you want to do cherry picking because of your busy life and because you are not willing to pay anything due to changes possibly occurring due to YOUR life... and you call others greedy?!

Interesting thought process...

Before you put me into the drawer of people having too much time on their hands…

As the CEO of a company I think I can say I’m not bored. However, I don’t expect anybody else to accommodate or pay for problems due to my schedule.

Thank you, as my thoughts are one can always engage a TA to do the monitoring for them if it is such a burden or issue...

bon voyage

3 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Thank you, as my thoughts are one can always engage a TA to do the monitoring for them if it is such a burden or issue...

bon voyage

Not sure what you mean by this. I book through a TA, usually when the itinerary is released, and I choose the cabin I want. I have a non refundable deposit, as that is all that is available, so need to be sure that what I book is the trip I want. There is no monitoring for the TA, or me, to do as no changes can be made for price drops, or even changes to cabin choice. I have accepted this is the way it is, but it doesn't stop me being a tad envious.

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

I Am not sure anyone can cite any example of a U.S. based cruise line with the same conditions and T & C's vs. other parts of the world, including areas such as Asia or the ME... if so, please point it out.

I venture to say that these 'inequities' in fares and deposit differences will occur when laws and 'desired' consumer protections become uniform, or so I believe.

Fortunately or unfortunately, here in NA many consumers have determined that ability to change our minds with minimum inconvenience or financial penalty is desired.

It is very unfortunate that there are times and situation where others in the 'cruising world' are dis-porportionately' are effected by our desirable and sometimes coveted T & C's for such things.

Although it appears, slowly, that those of us who book in NA are headed towards the rest of the world for bookings, until or unless there is an uprising here against it, then it will revert back.

bon voyage

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, laslomas said:

Not sure what you mean by this. I book through a TA, usually when the itinerary is released, and I choose the cabin I want. I have a non refundable deposit, as that is all that is available, so need to be sure that what I book is the trip I want. There is no monitoring for the TA, or me, to do as no changes can be made for price drops, or even changes to cabin choice. I have accepted this is the way it is, but it doesn't stop me being a tad envious.

I almost always book at least (1) year out, as spouse needs that much time to prepare - LOL, so usually aboard a sailing is when I book it.

Were I sailing solo, then no problem about me going... then add in others a whole different scenario takes place.

Added bonus of price drops.... without penalty which drops the price lower, but not always guaranteed, to be sure, as most of our sailings prices have only increased by double digits at that!

bon voyage

Gee, I had no idea folks were so passionate about this. ..........

I don’t accept that Celebrity sets its t and c’s and marketing strategy without reflecting the prevailing  consumer protection laws for that market!

In addition to that, cabin prices will largely be determined by the market. The more demand there is, then the more a company can charge for its product.

I do accept that in some markets, folks can, and do book more than one cruise on a RD basis. They do so because they can and it suits their needs to have that level of flexibility.

I also accept that this may affect the supply and demand equation and subsequently the  price.

However, I really don’t see how these folks can be held responsible for others having to pay higher prices. After all, they are only doing what best suits their needs. My advice would be if you think the price is too high, then don’t buy.

As I said upthread; Make your booking through Celebrity in US or use the services of a US based TA and you too will be on the level playing field you are asking for.

44 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

Sorry, but this is nonsense!

No local consumer protection laws would prohibit any company or cruise line to give more flexibility to its customers... 

This is not based on government or laws, it’s simply down to corporate decisions.

Sorry, but I couldn’t agree less.  The U.K. regulations likely force other requirements on the cruise companion and they need the non-refunded deposits to pay for those programs. Is the UK program also the TA protection act that still pays the TAs if you cancel?

Given a choice, I’m sure Celebrity would choose to do business world wide under one set of rules.  Giving customers the maximum flexibility is always best for the customer.

10 minutes ago, zanderblue said:

My advice would be if you think the price is too high, then don’t buy.

As I said upthread; Make your booking through Celebrity in US or use the services of a US based TA and you too will be on the level playing field you are asking for.

I have done exactly as you suggest.  Last month I made my first (Celebrity) booking via a US TA in dollars.  My point would be that I should not have to - hence request for level playing field.

How come US cruisers on here seem to think that it's okay to book air fares under the same t&cs as the rest of the world but not cruises?

Believe me, my views are not antagonistic towards people who play the system to make it work for them, just against those who make the inequitable rules.