RCL Stock

heidikay

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

From an SEC filing yesterday:

"On February 13, 2023, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (the “Company”) completed its previously announced private offering of $700.0 million aggregate principal amount of 7.250% Senior Notes due 2030 (the “Notes”). The Company received net proceeds from the offering of approximately $691.0 million (after deducting fees, commissions and expenses), which it intends to use to repay principal payments on debt maturing in 2023 and/or 2024."

I wonder if this means continued higher prices and more cutbacks over an extended time?

9 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Have not sailed Carnival since 2006.  Not my demographic. 

I have Ferrari and Dollar General stock.  They are not my demographic but it isn't about demographic for me.  For me they are both recession proof.  We all know it's about getting in and out at the right point, whatever the the investment is. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Pretty sure that even if Royal were debt free they would keep pushing prices as high as the market woukd bear. 

Pretty sure that you are absolutely correct. 

It almost seems like the same virus that almost did the cruise lines in is now becoming the cruise lines' lifeline. The cruise lines use it as an excuse for cutbacks and higher pricing and they are finding a very sympathetic clientele that are willing to follow along. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I have Ferrari and Dollar General stock.  They are not my demographic but it isn't about demographic for me.  For me they are both recession proof.  We all know it's about getting in and out at the right point, whatever the the investment is. 

I understand from a stockholder point of view but a fellow named Peter Lynch one wrote something along the lines of investing in what you know and what you use so that's what I tend to do with regard to individual stocks. 

I do not see Carnival as a good buy at this point.  I would have been wise to buy more Royal Caribbean than I did and/or added Carnival last summer but alas I did not.  My loss.  Not the first time.  I had a choice of buying Microsoft when Microsoft first released Windows 3.1.  I was fully convinced that OS/2 WARP was a superior operating system to Windows so I did not buy Microsoft.  My loss - in a big way!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I understand from a stockholder point of view but a fellow named Peter Lynch one wrote something along the lines of investing in what you know and what you use so that's what I tend to do with regard to individual stocks. 

I do not see Carnival as a good buy at this point.  I would have been wise to buy more Royal Caribbean than I did and/or added Carnival last summer but alas I did not.  My loss.  Not the first time.  I had a choice of buying Microsoft when Microsoft first released Windows 3.1.  I was fully convinced that OS/2 WARP was a superior operating system to Windows so I did not buy Microsoft.  My loss - in a big way!

I tend to use the same investment strategy as you... I buy what I know and use. Fortunately for me I was firmly in the Microsoft camp. I don't even remember how many stock splits I have been through with the company. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Have not sailed Carnival since 2006.  Not my demographic. 

I bought Carnival @ 7.33 last summer which I dont sail on but I've been on one Princess cruise and may try them again. My parents were loyal HAL cruisers and I may try them at some point when I get old(er). 

Edited by mac66

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

I tend to use the same investment strategy as you... I buy what I know and use. Fortunately for me I was firmly in the Microsoft camp. I don't even remember how many stock splits I have been through with the company. 

I could not get out of my own way with that.  Just like with BetaMax vs VHS.  BetaMax was a superior technology -- VHS obviously won that battle.  Fortunately my momma taught me not to cry over spilt milk

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

"

Royal Caribbean Group appointed Rebecca Yeung, corporate VP operations science and advanced technology at FedEx Corp. to its board.

Chairman Richard Fain cited Yeung's 'valuable combination of skills ... as she is well-versed in technology, digitization and business strategy.'

Royal Caribbean Group President/CEO Jason Liberty added her 'experience in technology, automation and innovation will be a valuable addition to the board as we usher in the next phases of our growth.'

30 years of experience in strategy and operations technology

Yeung has nearly 30 years of global experience in strategy and operations technology. She joined FedEx Corp. in 1998 and has served in various marketing, innovation and technology roles.

Currently she is responsible for advancing FedEx's innovation and transformation strategy, including scaling robotics and automation technology, autonomous vehicles, decision science and electromobility. Before this position, she served as VP advanced technology & innovation at FedEx since 2015.

14-member board

This brings the number of Royal Caribbean directors back to 14 following the departure of William Reilly in January. Besides Fain, Liberty and, now, Yeung, the board consists of John Brock, Stephen Howe Jr., William Kimsey, Michael Leavitt, Amy McPherson, Maritza Montiel, Ann Moore, Eyal Ofer, Vagn Sørensen, Donald Thompson and Arne 'Alex' Wilhelmsen."

FedEx's Rebecca Yeung joins Royal Caribbean board (seatrade-cruise.com)

For us the little perk of getting the $100 obc on our cruise makes the stock a worthwhile investment.  Hard to believe such a perk makes each trip a little more special but it sure does. We have gotten to use it 3 times so far and look forward to using it many more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

"

Royal Caribbean Group appointed Rebecca Yeung, corporate VP operations science and advanced technology at FedEx Corp. to its board.

Chairman Richard Fain cited Yeung's 'valuable combination of skills ... as she is well-versed in technology, digitization and business strategy.'

Royal Caribbean Group President/CEO Jason Liberty added her 'experience in technology, automation and innovation will be a valuable addition to the board as we usher in the next phases of our growth.'

FedEx's Rebecca Yeung joins Royal Caribbean board (seatrade-cruise.com)

Seems to be a popular BOD addition.  Concerns of spreading thin possibly.  As a BOD member, the expertise will be hands off.  Likely more contributory with China business focus.

https://investors.columbusmckinnon.com/investor-news/news-details/2023/Columbus-McKinnon-Appoints-Rebecca-Yeung-to-Board-of-Directors/default.aspx

1 hour ago, playingpossum said:

For us the little perk of getting the $100 obc on our cruise makes the stock a worthwhile investment.  Hard to believe such a perk makes each trip a little more special but it sure does. We have gotten to use it 3 times so far and look forward to using it many more. 

We bought stock last summer @ $33/share basically just to get OBC.  Even though it would take 33 cruises to break even. Used it twice since.

A month ago it was $74/share. Debated selling it and decide not to but then figured out that I could have made $4100 on the deal. That's 41 cruises it would take to recoup @ $100 a cruise. Even today @ $63/share that's 30 cruises it would take to recoup. So the stock OBC is cool but not that much of a deal strategically.

As it stands I have an order in to sell if it goes back up over $70 and a buy if it gets into the $40s.

10 minutes ago, mac66 said:

We bought stock last summer @ $33/share basically just to get OBC.  Even though it would take 33 cruises to break even. Used it twice since.

A month ago it was $74/share. Debated selling it and decide not to but then figured out that I could have made $4100 on the deal. That's 41 cruises it would take to recoup @ $100 a cruise. Even today @ $63/share that's 30 cruises it would take to recoup. So the stock OBC is cool but not that much of a deal strategically.

As it stands I have an order in to sell if it goes back up over $70 and a buy if it gets into the $40s.

I bought in at 33.72 so it was pretty reasonable.  Not looking to get rich off of this single holding but agree that we could have made quite a bit on it already.  Factor that in with the US to CAD exchange right now and it would be even greater.  We intend on cruising twice a year so the obc will add up over time.  Not the best way to make more money but not the worst either.  When I bought it it was a gamble that the cruise industry would even survive.

Now if it gets back to the 135 mark like before the pandemic it will be tough to hold onto lol.   

I bought the stock as an investment and the OBC benefit is secondary.  I'm ahead in both price and in OBCs.  Between cruises taken and future booked I'm good for about $1,000 in OBCs.

Had the stock before the pandemic and then watched it sink like a stone.🤣

Many years ago I bought a utility stock, strictly for the dividend of about 7.5%. Since then I have received every penny back of my investment, in cash, plus the money keeps rolling in as I still have the stock. Unlike cruise line stocks I don’t have to spend thousands of dollars to get a $100 obc to spend on things that would cost less than $7 at home (domestic beer).

6 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Many years ago I bought a utility stock, strictly for the dividend of about 7.5%. Since then I have received every penny back of my investment, in cash, plus the money keeps rolling in as I still have the stock. Unlike cruise line stocks I don’t have to spend thousands of dollars to get a $100 obc to spend on things that would cost less than $7 at home (domestic beer).

Dividends are taxable while OBCs are not.😄

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

13 years ago I bought RC stock and have gotten an annual return just over 9.5% with today's stock price.  PLUS, since we take longer cruises, have also gotten 100% of our original investment back in tax free OBC.  And will get another $700 in the next 24 months.  

As far as cost of items on the ship, really has no place in this discussion.   First, even with the OBC we still have a bill at the end - between wifi, UDP and other purchases that we would buy with or without the OBC and second, we really don't price shop on the cruise - if we want something we buy it.  If the price of a beer is $4 more than on land, too bad, I'm not on land.  And if you don't want to spend the on board prices, cruising may not be for you.  

7 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

13 years ago I bought RC stock and have gotten an annual return just over 9.5% with today's stock price.  PLUS, since we take longer cruises, have also gotten 100% of our original investment back in tax free OBC.  And will get another $700 in the next 24 months.  

As far as cost of items on the ship, really has no place in this discussion.   First, even with the OBC we still have a bill at the end - between wifi, UDP and other purchases that we would buy with or without the OBC and second, we really don't price shop on the cruise - if we want something we buy it.  If the price of a beer is $4 more than on land, too bad, I'm not on land.  And if you don't want to spend the on board prices, cruising may not be for you.  

A little tip, you haven’t realized one penny on your RCL stock, it’s all on paper until you sell it. I sold enough of my utility stock to get the original amount invested back in my pocket, about $7,000. The stock left over is generating $300 per year in dividends.

Tax free OBC an incentive, kidding right? How much tax would you pay on $100? 

We don’t price shop anything, if we need it we buy it, if we see value in it we buy it. Cruising no longer meets either one of those criteria so OBC is a nonissue. I mentioned beer as it’s the only thing we would buy on the ship. $100 OBC buys we about 9 beers, including tip. At home, when it’s on sale, like for St. Patricks Day I get 160+ including tax. That’s a value point.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

A little tip, you haven’t realized one penny on your RCL stock, it’s all on paper until you sell it. I sold enough of my utility stock to get the original amount invested back in my pocket, about $7,000. The stock left over is generating $300 per year in dividends.

Tax free OBC an incentive, kidding right? How much tax would you pay on $100? 

We don’t price shop anything, if we need it we buy it, if we see value in it we buy it. Cruising no longer meets either one of those criteria so OBC is a nonissue. I mentioned beer as it’s the only thing we would buy on the ship. $100 OBC buys we about 9 beers, including tip. At home, when it’s on sale, like for St. Patricks Day I get 160+ including tax. That’s a value point.

Pretty sure I don't need your investing advice.  Should I sell my Apple stock I bought in 2004 or Microsoft in 2001?  I understand no profit until I sell, but I think RC will come back and be a good investment from today.  I sell stocks I think will not do well going forward.  Seems you made a mistake selling the utility stock.  BTW - Since I really don't need any invested money, ( I guess my kids should decide what I should sell) all dividend are reinvested.  

• Like 1